Alex&Nayden

How the heck do I change the address?

9 posts in this topic

Timeline

My husband and I filed our I130 in Feb 2022 while we were both living abroad. For our mailing/living address, we put our foreign address because we lived abroad. Makes sense. But now I have moved to the US and am trying to change my address, and I can't.

Issue 1: On my USCIS account, it says, "You cannot edit your mailing address or physical address during this part of the adjudication process."

Issue 2: When I go to the AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address form to try to do it this way, for the OLD address, it only allows me to put a US address. We didn't use a US address.

So, my question is this: Can someone who previously used a foreign address while living abroad successfully change their address, and if so, how?

TY

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 10.34.40 AM.png

USCIS 
01/08/2022 - Married in Bulgaria

02/12/2022 - Submitted I-130 online 

02/12/2022 - NOA 1 (Nebraska Service Center) ➡️ Transferred (Potomac Service Center)

05/23/2022 - Sent K3 Packet

05/26/2022 - K3 Receipt Notice (Potomac Service Center)

06/21/2022 - Status Update (Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS)

02/22/2023 - Approved 🎉 (notice came from NBC Service Center) 

Total: 375 days

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

03/03/2023 Submitted NVC paperwork

03/18/2023 Documentarily Qualified 🎉

04/04/2023 Received Interview Letter

Total: 34 days

Embassy - Sofia, Bulgaria

04/27/2023 - Medical

05/09/2023 - Interview (Approved)

USA

05/12/2023 - Arrived in the US

06/30/2023 - Received Green Card in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I would just leave as is 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

38 minutes ago, Alex&Nayden said:

My husband and I filed our I130 in Feb 2022 while we were both living abroad. For our mailing/living address, we put our foreign address because we lived abroad. Makes sense. But now I have moved to the US and am trying to change my address, and I can't.

Issue 1: On my USCIS account, it says, "You cannot edit your mailing address or physical address during this part of the adjudication process."

Issue 2: When I go to the AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address form to try to do it this way, for the OLD address, it only allows me to put a US address. We didn't use a US address.

So, my question is this: Can someone who previously used a foreign address while living abroad successfully change their address, and if so, how?

TY

Leave it. It won’t impact the approval of the I-130. You can update your address at NVC stage. 

the only way to update the address is with the paper form… but that’s a hassle and not necessary. 

Edited by ROK2USA

USC can change their address via I-865 (complete, print, sign, mail-in) even if you have yet to submit an I-864 (done it twice already). You'll get a hard copy confirmation via mail. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Even though it won't impact the I-130 approval, they still send the hard copy approval letter to the specified mailing address (looks pretty official with sort of watermarks). You probably never need the hard copy, though. You can download it from the USCIS account anyway. The only information you need later at the NVC stage is your 'USCIS Online Account Number' (not the 'Receipt Number'). And this number is printed on the approval letter which you can download.

So don't be worried.

Edited by Volli

2 hours ago, Alex&Nayden said:

TY

You entered on what status?  Your address is set at entry if you entered on a an immigrant visa.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
21 hours ago, iwannaplay54 said:

You entered on what status?  Your address is set at entry if you entered on a an immigrant visa.

It's the USC asking not the immigrant 

1 hour ago, Letspaintcookies said:

It's the USC asking not the immigrant 

OH

https://www.uscis.gov/i-865

Mail this in.  I used a family member’s address on our original I130 from overseas then updated to permanent address when we arrived.  

Timeline
On 1/21/2023 at 11:06 AM, milimelo said:

USC can change their address via I-865 (complete, print, sign, mail-in) even if you have yet to submit an I-864 (done it twice already). You'll get a hard copy confirmation via mail. 

This is good to know! I wasn't sure if I had to wait until the I-864 or just go ahead and do it. I think I am going to mail the form today. Thank you!

On 1/22/2023 at 10:52 AM, iwannaplay54 said:

OH

https://www.uscis.gov/i-865

Mail this in.  I used a family member’s address on our original I130 from overseas then updated to permanent address when we arrived.  

Thank you! I will mail it today. 

USCIS 
01/08/2022 - Married in Bulgaria

02/12/2022 - Submitted I-130 online 

02/12/2022 - NOA 1 (Nebraska Service Center) ➡️ Transferred (Potomac Service Center)

05/23/2022 - Sent K3 Packet

05/26/2022 - K3 Receipt Notice (Potomac Service Center)

06/21/2022 - Status Update (Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS)

02/22/2023 - Approved 🎉 (notice came from NBC Service Center) 

Total: 375 days

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

03/03/2023 Submitted NVC paperwork

03/18/2023 Documentarily Qualified 🎉

04/04/2023 Received Interview Letter

Total: 34 days

Embassy - Sofia, Bulgaria

04/27/2023 - Medical

05/09/2023 - Interview (Approved)

USA

05/12/2023 - Arrived in the US

06/30/2023 - Received Green Card in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.