astroboy3545

Documents needed for Citizenship application

9 posts in this topic

This might be an extremely naive question but I am hoping some of you can help answer some basic questions  I have. To provide some background context, I am eligible for citizenship since I have been holding  a green card since Jan 2019 (and married to a US spouse for 5 years) so I meet the requirement eligibility of 

A...As a spouse of a US Citizen, you can apply for citizenship 3 (three) years after approval of your Adjustment of Status. Your approval may be noted via any of the following: approval notice (I-797), on your passport (I-551 stamp and date), your green card ("resident since" date). The 3 year countdown begins with that date. This 3 year period does not include long absences from the United States.

from this link : https://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-naturalization.html/8.1 

So I started the N400 document process online in the USCS site and the form seems straightforward but I am confused about what all documents to submit beyond the following

1. Copy of the green card
2. Tax documents from last three years (filed Jointly)

3. My wife's birth certificate showing that she is a US citizen by birth
4. Her US passport scan  

5. Our marriage certificate scan

When I did my green card application, we basically submitted a ton of paperwork such as joint bank statements, proof of owning  a house together, electric bills (showing joint payment etc).

Looking at the N400 form, I dont see any mention of that or even when I search online or in the forum for what package people sent.

Do I not need to worry about sending loads of documents this time (or is there a recommended list) I can refer to somewhere which will tell me what additional documents to submit.

Thank you so much.

Filed: Timeline

This is what I uploaded:

Biographic Data

·         Passport biographic page of USC spouse

·         Citizenship certificate of USC spouse

·         Passport biographic page of Applicant

·         State driver’s licenses of Applicant and USC spouse with same residential address

Cohabitation, Co-ownership, and Joint Finances

·         Health insurance cards from the same insurance company and under same account for Applicant, USC spouse, and Kid

·         Rental contract of the apartment complex starting in year 2017 under the names of both Applicant and USC spouse

·         State title of a jointly owned vehicle under the names of both Applicant and USC spouse

·         Car loan payment through Toyota Financial Services for the vehicle mentioned above for the past 6 months

·         Auto insurance cards for the jointly owned vehicle mentioned above, and another vehicle in our household

·         Bank 1 monthly statements for joint accounts – both checking and savings – under the names of both Applicant and USC spouse for the past 6 months

·         Bank 2 monthly statements for joint accounts – both checking and savings – under the names of both Applicant and USC spouse for the past 6 months

Edit: As you can see, not a ton of documents, just the most important ones.

Edited by elmers

N-400

04-13-2022: Applied online; case received

04-15-2022: Biometric reused; case being actively reviewed

12-09-2022: Interview scheduled for 01-20-2023

01-20-2023: Recommended for approval, Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled

01-23-2023: Oath ceremony scheduled for 02-16-2023

02-16-2023: Oath taken, naturalized, journey OVER!!

RoC

04-14-2021: Package mailed

04-16-2021: Package delivered

05-04-2021: Text received (LIN)

05-05-2021: Check cashed

05-07-2021: I-797 received , GC extended by 18 months

05-28-2021: Biometrics waived -|- Case updated to Fingerprints taken
06-04-2021: Biometrics letter received (dated 05-28-2021)

05-10-2022: New card being produced

05-11-2022: Case approved

05-12-2022: Card mailed

05-16-2022: Card received; also received approval notice letter

Marriage based AoS
07-14-2018: Priority date
07-31-2018: Biometric review complete
07-31-2018: RFIE (I-864 related)
11-29-2018: Case ready for interview; EAD card being produced
06-04-2019: Interview scheduled
07-11-2019: Interview; new card being produced

07-18-2019: Card delivered

Thanks @elmers much appreciated. I still will need to prepare the document list but looking at what i have, here is what I am thinking of

1. Home ownership paperwork (showing joint ownership) since 2018 (I can also upload the rental agreement of the apartment where I lived with my spouse prior to that but I am trying to figure out how back in time I need to go)
2. Proof of joint ownership of two cars

3. Bank statements from 3 bank accounts - You mentioned 6 months, how did you decide on that number ? 

4. We also have 3 joint credit cards, so wondering if we should 

4. Auto insurance with our names on it - how many months\years did you show this for ? 

5. Home insurance with our names on it

5. Printouts from my work  benefits site showing my wife as a beneficiary on 401k and vice versa (from my wife's side)
6. Power of attorney documents

7. Scanned copies of the drivers license showing us living in the same address

We dont have joint health insurance since our work pays for our insurance and it didnt make sense for us to combine our insurance into one as that would incur additional costs on our end.

Thank you for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
2 hours ago, astroboy3545 said:

So I started the N400 document process online in the USCS site and the form seems straightforward but I am confused about what all documents to submit beyond the following

You need to show co-habitation with your spouse for the past 3 years so slightly different evidence than the i751 or AOS.

Your list evidence is good, provide some evidence for all 3 years

You may wish to add...

Some photos of doing things together, family event together, and travel together

Proof of travel together.

Documents and mail for both of you with shared address (some inform delivery emails from post office showing joint mail deliver to home address). W2 have home address on them and come out each year.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The required evidence for submitting the N400 is fairly light (reference the link page 10).  Unless you are filing from overseas or the spouse of a military member or in the military yourself, only numbers 2 and 3 apply.  There is a longer list of evidence requested for the interview beginning on page 11, and many folks filing online also upload that material, but it is not required to submit an N400 application, and the applicant still needs to bring it to the interview even if they uploaded it.

In my wife’s case, she filed by mail, and only included the required evidence, took the rest to the interview where the IO ignored all of it.

Good Luck!

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/n-400instr.pdf

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, elmers said:

This is what I uploaded:

Biographic Data

·         Passport biographic page of USC spouse

·         Citizenship certificate of USC spouse

·         Passport biographic page of Applicant

·         State driver’s licenses of Applicant and USC spouse with same residential address

Cohabitation, Co-ownership, and Joint Finances

·         Health insurance cards from the same insurance company and under same account for Applicant, USC spouse, and Kid

·         Rental contract of the apartment complex starting in year 2017 under the names of both Applicant and USC spouse

·         State title of a jointly owned vehicle under the names of both Applicant and USC spouse

·         Car loan payment through Toyota Financial Services for the vehicle mentioned above for the past 6 months

·         Auto insurance cards for the jointly owned vehicle mentioned above, and another vehicle in our household

·         Bank 1 monthly statements for joint accounts – both checking and savings – under the names of both Applicant and USC spouse for the past 6 months

·         Bank 2 monthly statements for joint accounts – both checking and savings – under the names of both Applicant and USC spouse for the past 6 months

Edit: As you can see, not a ton of documents, just the most important ones.

You have enough.

They dont even look at the evidence at the interview but bring it anyway.

We did a bank statement from three years, 18 months, and current

No pics.  Unnecessary.  If that’s your child you need to submit a birth cert.

Edited by iwannaplay54

7 hours ago, astroboy3545 said:

This might be an extremely naive question but I am hoping some of you can help answer some basic questions  I have. To provide some background context, I am eligible for citizenship since I have been holding  a green card since Jan 2019 (and married to a US spouse for 5 years) so I meet the requirement eligibility of 

A...As a spouse of a US Citizen, you can apply for citizenship 3 (three) years after approval of your Adjustment of Status. Your approval may be noted via any of the following: approval notice (I-797), on your passport (I-551 stamp and date), your green card ("resident since" date). The 3 year countdown begins with that date. This 3 year period does not include long absences from the United States.

from this link : https://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-naturalization.html/8.1 

1. Copy of the green card
2. Tax documents from last three years (filed Jointly)

3. My wife's birth certificate showing that she is a US citizen by birth
4. Her US passport scan  

5. Our marriage certificate scan

When I did my green card application, we basically submitted a ton of paperwork such as joint bank statements, proof of owning  a house together, electric bills (showing joint payment etc).

Looking at the N400 form, I dont see any mention of that or even when I search online or in the forum for what package people sent.

Do I not need to worry about sending loads of documents this time (or is there a recommended list) I can refer to somewhere which will tell me what additional documents to submit.

Thank you so much.

Under the three year rule you want to show

Co-habitation for three years (matching drivers licenses, car insurance, rent or home ownership).  We sent a copy of our house deed.

Mingled finances (bank statements from three years ago to current, we sent three - one from 2018, one from 2020, one from 2021)

Mingled credit (credit card statements).  Same time period on those statements.

Other:

Health insurance cards with both if your names if you have one

Birth cert for kiddos if any

The standard is a lot lower for N400 but you want to demonstrate a valid marriage for the past three years and show that it is still current.

Edited by iwannaplay54

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.