Icedfire22””

Filing new i485 with pending i485 from previous marriage

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It was dead as soon as you divorced, maybe earlier, anyway a new application would get you a EAD

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Family said:

You will need TONS of evidence your FIRST marriage was not a sham / or for immigration purposes. 

A case pending since 2018 means they flagged you and those issues won’t go away no matter how solid second marriage is

Yea I have tons of evidence from

my first marriage as well . I never had issues with my first marriage. I assume the issue was with my joint sponsor . We had interview twice and was separated on both occasions. ALL our answers were the same on both occasions.  The second interview was for almost an hour and it was based ENTIRELY on how well we both know our joint sponsor and how we met him .  ALL our answers were the same . 

Timeline

One Stokes interview is unusual

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, Icedfire22”” said:

@Family thank you so much for your input . Would you know about the EAD card if I should apply for a new  initial permission for EAD card  or submit the new i485 without the i765? 
on the i765 application, I don’t have a lot of options

Mark it as initial EAD . It is an initial application based on the new I-485 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Family said:

Mark it as initial EAD . It is an initial application based on the new I-485 

Thank you so much . I will send the letter to withdraw the Initial I-485 today . And send the new one on Monday . Thanks you so much . do I need to reach out to my ex wife to withdraw the initial I-130 or my I-485 withdrawal today will suffice for both ?  Would I need to attach divorce letter with I-485 withdrawal or  just a simple letter of withdrawal is good ? 

Edited by Icedfire22””

3 minutes ago, Icedfire22”” said:
18 minutes ago, Family said:

You will need TONS of evidence your FIRST marriage was not a sham / or for immigration purposes. 

A case pending since 2018 means they flagged you and those issues won’t go away no matter how solid second marriage is

Yea I have tons of evidence from

my first marriage as well . I never had issues with my first marriage. I assume the issue was with my joint sponsor . We had interview twice and was separated on both occasions. ALL our answers were the same on both occasions.  The second interview was for almost an hour and it was based ENTIRELY on how well we both know our joint sponsor and how we met him .  ALL our answers were the same . 

You will need all that evidence . Also need to be prepared to defend your actions ( failure to notify of divorce and EAD renewal) when they try slapping misrepresentation/fraud in obtaining EAD

Be prepared that they will either go or have already gone to old neighbors/jobs to investigate your first marriage.

Did you have an attorney for the two Stokes interviews?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I would lawyer for this one. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, Icedfire22”” said:

Thank you so much . I will send the letter to withdraw the Initial I-485 today . And send the new one on Monday . Thanks you so much . do I need to reach out to my ex wife to withdraw the initial I-130 or my I-485 withdrawal today will suffice for both ?  Would I need to attach divorce letter with I-485 withdrawal or  just a simple letter of withdrawal is good ? 

Edited just now by Icedfire22

Draft one Letter of Withdrawal and reference the I-130 and I-485 case numbers on it . 
Spend a bit of time on that letter and show your marriage was in good faith plus ADD any additional evidence not previously submitted.

If ex is on decent terms ask her to do an Affidavit stating the same . Have her notarize it with a Jurat ( not acknowledgement)..

If any other family/friends, priests, rabbi or imams ..that knew you as a couple are willing, have them do the same. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Family said:

You will need all that evidence . Also need to be prepared to defend your actions ( failure to notify of divorce and EAD renewal) when they try slapping misrepresentation/fraud in obtaining EAD

Be prepared that they will either go or have already gone to old neighbors/jobs to investigate your first marriage.

Did you have an attorney for the two Stokes interviews?

We didn’t have any attorney for both as we didn’t see a need to at the time based on the fact that our marriage was in good faith and we had nothing to hide or worry about . We were given a printed copy of answers for the second interview and ALL the answers were exactly the same .

I have been to different consultations with different attorneys and I have been gettig varied answers. The last attorney we went to told us we should apply for everything and we can withdraw the previous I-130 and I-485 whenever we are called for interview . The other attorney echoes your concern about withdrawing first before applying so I wasn’t sure which to follow . But i would be withdrawing the initial one and apply for a new one simultaneously like you suggested. Thank you so much 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Family said:

Draft one Letter of Withdrawal and reference the I-130 and I-485 case numbers on it . 
Spend a bit of time on that letter and show your marriage was in good faith plus ADD any additional evidence not previously submitted.

If ex is on decent terms ask her to do an Affidavit stating the same . Have her notarize it with a Jurat ( not acknowledgement)..

If any other family/friends, priests, rabbi or imams ..that knew you as a couple are willing, have them do the same. 

Yea , I could get her to write a notorize letter, we are on decent terms  . I have notarized  letter from her two sisters and her cousin that was submitted during our second interview . I can still make copies of those . 

Timeline

Perhaps the ex spouse has notified them, the case was dead as soon as the divorce was completed.

2 minutes ago, Icedfire22”” said:

We didn’t have any attorney for both as we didn’t see a need to at the time based on the fact that our marriage was in good faith and we had nothing to hide or worry about . We were given a printed copy of answers for the second interview and ALL the answers were exactly the same .

I have been to different consultations with different attorneys and I have been gettig varied answers. The last attorney we went to told us we should apply for everything and we can withdraw the previous I-130 and I-485 whenever we are called for interview . The other attorney echoes your concern about withdrawing first before applying so I wasn’t sure which to follow . But i would be withdrawing the initial one and apply for a new one simultaneously like you suggested. Thank you so much 

The attorneys who advised you not to withdraw the moment your divorce was finalized, gave you the advice you wanted to hear . Strategic…I understand.

Because I assume you did not have a new wife on the back burner ready to file for you . 

Hope you also clearly understand the Timeline of your new romance will be VERY scrutinized ..and they will try to use it to discredit bonafides of first marriage 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Perhaps the ex spouse has notified them, the case was dead as soon as the divorce was completed.

She didn’t notify them as we didn’t have a messy divorce and we still wish each other well . 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.