Harmonia

How to Add Authorized User to Accounts

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiance is an international student. He doesn't have a SSN. He will graduate soon and have OPT. We are planning to get married in the summer and file AOS. How can I add him to my accounts now? Does he need to get an ITIN? I tried adding him to a credit card, but they wanted a SSN/ITIN and I didn't know what to say. Thanks! 

Also, I own my own home. He isn't on the mortgage. I plan to add him to my homeowners insurance. Any other tips to show we live together? We have the same address on our license, and I'm going to add him to utility bills. Our cars are registered at the same address. We don't share car insurance because my broker said we need to get married first to combine policies.  

Edited by Harmonia

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Tell them to pound sand. The only ones who need an SSN or ITIN is the IRS. Everybody else can work with a placeholder. So you can either try and escalate it till you find a supervisor who knows how to do it or go to a different bank that will work with you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We don't share car insurance because my broker said we need to get married first to combine policies.  

Never  heard of such a thing

when i broke both wrists my neighbor used my car to take me to PT and i added her (temporrary) as a user (driver ) of my vechicle

any household member can be on your auto insurance

try a different insurance agency

Filed: Timeline
52 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Tell them to pound sand. The only ones who need an SSN or ITIN is the IRS. Everybody else can work with a placeholder. So you can either try and escalate it till you find a supervisor who knows how to do it or go to a different bank that will work with you.

When I try to add him online, it says "We need to verify their SSN to securely provide them with online access. We may use SSNs to more accurately identify cardholders, report information and service accounts."

I have my checking, savings, and 3 credit cards with this bank (Capital One). Won't it look bad to open a new account just to add him? Surely I'm not the only person who has wanted to add an authorized user without a SSN before.

2 minutes ago, Harmonia said:

Surely I'm not the only person who has wanted to add an authorized user without a SSN before.

Those other people opened accounts in banks or signed up for credit cards that do not require SSN/ITIN for authorized users.  I've seen recommendations for Bank of America and Wells Fargo, but have no personal experience with those banks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

You can either wait till he gets a SSN or you open a new bank account with a bank that will work with you. These are your options. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It sometimes helps to go in person to banks, because it's harder to say "no" to someone who's right across the desk from you.

Smaller/regional banks may be more flexible than some of the national chains, but, as mentioned, some of the national chains may be more flexible than other national chains.  Be persistent, and you'll find one that wants your business.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
21 hours ago, Chancy said:

Those other people opened accounts in banks or signed up for credit cards that do not require SSN/ITIN for authorized users.  I've seen recommendations for Bank of America and Wells Fargo, but have no personal experience with those banks.

Capital One did it for us long , long ago

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

On 12/27/2022 at 1:28 PM, Harmonia said:

When I try to add him online, it says "We need to verify their SSN to securely provide them with online access. We may use SSNs to more accurately identify cardholders, report information and service accounts."

I have my checking, savings, and 3 credit cards with this bank (Capital One). Won't it look bad to open a new account just to add him? Surely I'm not the only person who has wanted to add an authorized user without a SSN before.

Capital One has two levels of authorized users.  For "Account Managers" with online access they require a Social Security number or ITIN.  For "Authorized Users" (without online access)  The SS# is optional.  Either type of authorized user will be listed on the statement.

That is specific to Capital One. "Most" other banks allow you to skip the SS number for authorized users.  Generally all they need is a name and birth date.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.