7 posts in this topic

Hi all,
I am submitting my green card application (i-485) and there was a question "have you ever been denied visa previously"
I was denied tourist visa before, basically nothing wrong with my paperwork, the interviewers at the embassy are just [censored] (I wish them the worst of luck. super rude [censored])
I was given a generic letter "you dont demonstrate enough ties to your home country" and I was stunned

My question is: does a history of rejected tourist visa going to hurt my chances or make it slower/longer process in order for me to get the green card?
Thank you

Edited by TBoneTX
word-filter evasion edited

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, khalazy said:

Hi all,
I am submitting my green card application (i-485) and there was a question "have you ever been denied visa previously"
I was denied tourist visa before, basically nothing wrong with my paperwork, the interviewers at the embassy are just [censored](I wish them the worst of luck. super rude [censored])
I was given a generic letter "you dont demonstrate enough ties to your home country" and I was stunned

My question is: does a history of rejected tourist visa going to hurt my chances or make it slower/longer process in order for me to get the green card?
Thank you

No one can tell you the answer to this question. Maybe .. or not .. but what we can tell you is that,  if you are not 100% honest , you will be denied on this application. Remember they already know your history regarding this .. and lots of other things too.. 

Edited by TBoneTX
word-filter evasion edited in quote

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You went through this when you got the K1, nothing new, they gave you a K1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, khalazy said:

Hi all,
I was denied tourist visa before, basically nothing wrong with my paperwork, the interviewers at the embassy are just [censored] (I wish them the worst of luck. super rude [censored])

Thank you

The idea raised in their head will be, why does this guy want to come in the US so badly (even though there is nothing wrong with it. People want to visit and some want to make US their home), so your marriage maybe looked into a bit deeper. 

But that still shouldn't restrict you from filing. I would say it might make it slower so they can dig into prior denial.

Btw how far are the dates between your denial and filing of i485? A dirty trick used is to accuse person that they had immigrant intent all along during tourist visa. Best to work with lawyer. 

As for the kind words for the officers, we all get it. Just leave that frustration in the car when you go for interview 😄

Edited by TBoneTX
word-filter evasion in quote

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Note:  The original post & replies to it have been edited because of word-filter evasion.  Please review the Terms of Service.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife was denied twice for a B2 visa and she still got her K1, AOS, ROC and N400 approved.  As long as there was no material misrepresentation when filling out the DS160 for the B2 visa you should have no issues.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.