KSVJ

December 2022 - AOS Filers

202 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Does as anyone know how the work authorization work for k1 holders?

I was told that once I'm married and am on the US soil, I can apply and receive my work authorization in about a week.

If I understand correctly, if I apply for work authorization separate from i-495, the work authorization is only valid for the 90 days my k1 visa is valid for.

And then I'll have to file for it again for AOS?

But it takes like 10 months to get the work authorization while going through AOS right?

Any information is much appreciated!!!

I'm trying to gather as much information on this as possible. 

Thank you guys!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
19 hours ago, Ninjaturtur said:

Does as anyone know how the work authorization work for k1 holders?

I was told that once I'm married and am on the US soil, I can apply and receive my work authorization in about a week.

If I understand correctly, if I apply for work authorization separate from i-495, the work authorization is only valid for the 90 days my k1 visa is valid for.

And then I'll have to file for it again for AOS?

But it takes like 10 months to get the work authorization while going through AOS right?

Any information is much appreciated!!!

I'm trying to gather as much information on this as possible. 

Thank you guys!

When applying for the Work Authorization, you will have to select which elegibility applies to you. You are going to have two options:

• K1 - This will be only valid for the duration of your K1 visa (max 90 days, i.e. the permit would expire at the end of the 90 days after entrance with K1 visa) - in practice, I'm not sure how useful this is at the moment, as it is possible, if not more likely the permit would not be ready on timely manner, considering current processing times.
  • Jointly with AOS. The duration of this one will be longer, and probably work for the time you wait for the Green Card;

Processing times for EAD is heavily dependent on where you are applying for it. If you look into the timelines at VJ currently, some people are getting the work permit through AOS in roughly 30 days, others in a couple of months, and others have been sitting for quite some time.

To be fair with you, and this is not advice, I see no point in applying it through K1 currently. AOS seems to be the only viable option. But I may be wrong here. To be fair, haven't heard of anyone applying for the K1 EAD in the last few years. Maybe someone else have head.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Fil&Em said:

When applying for the Work Authorization, you will have to select which elegibility applies to you. You are going to have two options:

• K1 - This will be only valid for the duration of your K1 visa (max 90 days, i.e. the permit would expire at the end of the 90 days after entrance with K1 visa) - in practice, I'm not sure how useful this is at the moment, as it is possible, if not more likely the permit would not be ready on timely manner, considering current processing times.
  • Jointly with AOS. The duration of this one will be longer, and probably work for the time you wait for the Green Card;

Processing times for EAD is heavily dependent on where you are applying for it. If you look into the timelines at VJ currently, some people are getting the work permit through AOS in roughly 30 days, others in a couple of months, and others have been sitting for quite some time.

To be fair with you, and this is not advice, I see no point in applying it through K1 currently. AOS seems to be the only viable option. But I may be wrong here. To be fair, haven't heard of anyone applying for the K1 EAD in the last few years. Maybe someone else have head.

Hi @Fil&Em, thank you so much for your detailed reply. 

I 100% agree that it's probably the best to apply for it with AOS

My future employer was pushing me to get the work authorization ASAP so I wanted to see what would be the efficient way of going about it. 

It was super helpful& thank you!

18 hours ago, Ninjaturtur said:

Hi @Fil&Em, thank you so much for your detailed reply. 

I 100% agree that it's probably the best to apply for it with AOS

My future employer was pushing me to get the work authorization ASAP so I wanted to see what would be the efficient way of going about it. 

It was super helpful& thank you!

If you have a job offer from a future employer that is a solid ground for an EAD expedite which would make the wait significantly slower (in most cases that is)

Timeline
13 hours ago, JanaV said:

If you have a job offer from a future employer that is a solid ground for an EAD expedite which would make the wait significantly slower (in most cases that is)

That's good news!!!! I didn't know that.

Do you know how I can file to expedite the process?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We also sent our AOSEAD, and AP with check payment all together on Wednesday, 12/14.

We received texts for all 3 receipt notices received following Tuesday on the 20th (check cleared on the 21st) and just received the hardcopy notices today, 25th.
However, none of the NOA1s contain an online access code.

Any tips/information on how we can obtain?

On 12/24/2022 at 10:08 PM, Ninjaturtur said:

That's good news!!!! I didn't know that.

Do you know how I can file to expedite the process?

From what I saw in the November 2022 filers group people have been requesting through Emma on the USCIS website

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, kamishai said:

We also sent our AOSEAD, and AP with check payment all together on Wednesday, 12/14.

We received texts for all 3 receipt notices received following Tuesday on the 20th (check cleared on the 21st) and just received the hardcopy notices today, 25th.
However, none of the NOA1s contain an online access code.

Any tips/information on how we can obtain?

It will come in the mail separately likely in a few days. If not, someone in the November thread posted this link to request an online access code:  https://my.uscis.gov/account/v1/needhelp

I actually tried it and got a reply the next day with the access code, but my physical copy ended up showing up in the mail that day anyway.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 12/26/2022 at 5:52 AM, mashtates said:

It will come in the mail separately likely in a few days. If not, someone in the November thread posted this link to request an online access code:  https://my.uscis.gov/account/v1/needhelp

I actually tried it and got a reply the next day with the access code, but my physical copy ended up showing up in the mail that day anyway.

Thanks for providing this!

We sent an inquiry and got a response back today with the Online Access Code and can now see updates for all 3 cases (AOS, EAD, and AP).

We also see that we have a Biometrics Appointment now for 1/11/2023.

Hopefully the processing continues to be as quick and responsive :)

1 minute ago, kamishai said:

Thanks for providing this!

We sent an inquiry and got a response back today with the Online Access Code and can now see updates for all 3 cases (AOS, EAD, and AP).

We also see that we have a Biometrics Appointment now for 1/11/2023.

Hopefully the processing continues to be as quick and responsive :)

We finally got our noa1 s in the mail today too and our biometrics is 1/11 as well. 

Timeline

I just had my biometrics appointment today. Immediately after my appointment my case status changed to “case is being actively reviewed by USCIS”.

also as an aside, when the agent was taking my fingerprints, some fingers prompted a green (good) message on the screen and others prompted an orange alert. I hope that having some “orange” fingers won’t cause any problems. (If this makes no sense you’ll understand when you get your biometrics and look at the screen when they take your fingerprints 😆)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
51 minutes ago, mashtates said:

I just had my biometrics appointment today. Immediately after my appointment my case status changed to “case is being actively reviewed by USCIS”.

also as an aside, when the agent was taking my fingerprints, some fingers prompted a green (good) message on the screen and others prompted an orange alert. I hope that having some “orange” fingers won’t cause any problems. (If this makes no sense you’ll understand when you get your biometrics and look at the screen when they take your fingerprints 😆)

Oh, that is interesting.

That explains why we were being asked to look away when doing the fingerprints!

EDIT: According to my wife, she has been fingerprinted before for different reasons, as she is a US citizen, and she believes that the green just means that the capture of the fingerprint was perfect, the orange means that it is blurry or not perfect, but can be accepted if the agent thinks so, and red means that the fingerprint has to be taken again.

Not sure how accurate this is, and if also applicable to USCIS, but could be.

Edited by Fil&Em

Timeline
2 hours ago, Fil&Em said:

Oh, that is interesting.

That explains why we were being asked to look away when doing the fingerprints!

EDIT: According to my wife, she has been fingerprinted before for different reasons, as she is a US citizen, and she believes that the green just means that the capture of the fingerprint was perfect, the orange means that it is blurry or not perfect, but can be accepted if the agent thinks so, and red means that the fingerprint has to be taken again.

Not sure how accurate this is, and if also applicable to USCIS, but could be.

Lol, I was curious so I looked, the agent did not seem to care at all 😅 they were pretty chill.

thank you so much for that info! That is a bit more reassuring. I didn’t have any “red” so hopefully it’s all good 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.