Jujusmom

Tips on booking affordable plane tickets to Ph

26 posts in this topic

Hello it’s me again (I hope I’m not annoying you guys). I’ve been looking at plane tickets and they are still pretty expensive. I am not an experience international traveler so Idk where to properly look at. I just wanna ask if you know any tips or suggestions on how we can score affordable tickets. I’m flying with my husband and our toddler and hopefully fly this Feb. I’ve checked Kayak and other websites but I just want extra tips from you all. Right now tickets range around 6k for all of us. And sadly that’s way out of our budget. Thank you! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I've found flights on Kiwi.com cheaper than on other sites.  They will mix and match airlines, so different legs of your flight might be with different airlines; sometimes you can save some decent money that way.

Flights in general are really pricey right now, and the prices only go up the longer you wait.

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

I suggest checking out skyscanner and checking out tickets on Tuesday’s in an incognito window on your browser. I always find flights at a cheaper rate with this hack.

21 minutes ago, midwinterrose said:

I've found flights on Kiwi.com cheaper than on other sites.  They will mix and match airlines, so different legs of your flight might be with different airlines; sometimes you can save some decent money that way.

Flights in general are really pricey right now, and the prices only go up the longer you wait.

Thank you! Will surely try Kiwi.com and I agree that the longer we wait it just keeps getting high. Last week we found a $3400 round trip ticket and my husband and I wanna punch our faces for not booking that right away. But back then we were waiting for the approval of his vacation so 🤷🏻‍♀️. Appreciate your tip! Have a great day!

4 minutes ago, Jamie and Richard said:

I suggest checking out skyscanner and checking out tickets on Tuesday’s in an incognito window on your browser. I always find flights at a cheaper rate with this hack.

Hello! I will check skycanner again and will do your booking hack. Appreciate it so much. We really wanna go home so this helps a lot. Have a great day!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Use Google flights. Pulls information from all sites 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

21 minutes ago, Timona said:

Use Google flights. Pulls information from all sites 

Hello! I have google flights tracker notification so when there’s changes I see it. Thank you for confirming this is a good idea. Have a great day!

Too late for this tip now but book 7 or 8 months out. always cheaper like that. They make  up the difference by charging higher fares for the late bookings as you now know.

Just looked at a flight I had been tracking on Google, Went from $1537, to $1917 to $2500 in the last three weeks.  

We ended up burning miles (75k each) for the four of us Thanksgiving through mid January

On 11/19/2022 at 8:41 AM, Jujusmom said:

Hello it’s me again (I hope I’m not annoying you guys). I’ve been looking at plane tickets and they are still pretty expensive. I am not an experience international traveler so Idk where to properly look at. I just wanna ask if you know any tips or suggestions on how we can score affordable tickets. I’m flying with my husband and our toddler and hopefully fly this Feb. I’ve checked Kayak and other websites but I just want extra tips from you all. Right now tickets range around 6k for all of us. And sadly that’s way out of our budget. Thank you! 

I do a couple trips per year to Philippine,  I always book in October and March time frame tickets are pretty cheap then.

I never book thru a third party site like kayak, etc. I alway book direct with the airlines in case my flight gets delayed or postponed it easy to reschedule, plus I don't see any savings going thru a 3rd party site.

Good Luck.....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not sure where you will be flying from in the US. 

I am in Alabama, round trip from BHM to MNL was about 1800 to 2000 for a flight that was around 24-26 hrs. There were some that were cheaper but I am not wanting a 43 hour flight with 12-14 hour layovers.

I found it cheaper to take a flight from BHM to SFO, then a 2 stop flight from SFO to MNL. In fact it was still about the same to take a non stop from SFO to MNL on Philippine Air.

Anyway check all search engines as well, Google filters out some available flights, I have found more accurate info on Edge.

On 11/19/2022 at 2:16 PM, Bob in Boston said:

Too late for this tip now but book 7 or 8 months out. always cheaper like that. They make  up the difference by charging higher fares for the late bookings as you now know.

Hello! That's a good tip. Will do that next time we plan to go home and have plenty of time. Thank you!

On 11/19/2022 at 7:36 PM, jskibo said:

Just looked at a flight I had been tracking on Google, Went from $1537, to $1917 to $2500 in the last three weeks.  

We ended up burning miles (75k each) for the four of us Thanksgiving through mid January

Hi! I keep tracking flights on GF too and they just keep going up. That's a lot of miles but glad it worked for you. We need to start earning miles lol

On 11/21/2022 at 6:35 AM, Mick Jones said:

I do a couple trips per year to Philippine,  I always book in October and March time frame tickets are pretty cheap then.

I never book thru a third party site like kayak, etc. I alway book direct with the airlines in case my flight gets delayed or postponed it easy to reschedule, plus I don't see any savings going thru a 3rd party site.

Good Luck.....

Hello! I see a good deal for March but it's through Skyscanner. Will wait until Friday to see if we can score a good deal for the month of Feb. Absolutely with you on booking directly with the airline to avoid problems. We used to do that pre-covid but they are more expensive these days. Thank you!

19 hours ago, AlaMike said:

Not sure where you will be flying from in the US. 

I am in Alabama, round trip from BHM to MNL was about 1800 to 2000 for a flight that was around 24-26 hrs. There were some that were cheaper but I am not wanting a 43 hour flight with 12-14 hour layovers.

I found it cheaper to take a flight from BHM to SFO, then a 2 stop flight from SFO to MNL. In fact it was still about the same to take a non stop from SFO to MNL on Philippine Air.

Anyway check all search engines as well, Google filters out some available flights, I have found more accurate info on Edge.

Will be flying from DTW and also don't want over 30 hours of travel time per leg of the flight because we have a toddler. I will keep checking all the websites mentioned here and will also try Edge. Thank you so much!

Thank you everyone for helping me out. Appreciate your suggestions! 

One thing that I should mention search using incognito/private window mode with your browser. Also if you have remote access to a computer located in the PH search from there. These apply more for booking direct from the airlines.

For me in San Diego, it is usually hundreds of dollars cheaper to fly from LAX rather than from SAN.  If it's a family x 3 it's a big deal.  I can drive 2 hours and park near LAX for $12 a day,  or I can rent a car one-way from my neighborhood Avis and drop off at LAX for ~$60.  So, always check from any nearby major hub cities vs your own city.

Also more recently, Singapore Airlines was hundreds of dollars cheaper than their competitors for Philippines to LAX.  I haven't actually carefully explained the geographic downsides of that to my wife or stepdaughter, but they were quite pleased with the quality of Singapore Airlines service.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

4 hours ago, Jujusmom said:

Hello! That's a good tip. Will do that next time we plan to go home and have plenty of time. Thank you!

Hi! I keep tracking flights on GF too and they just keep going up. That's a lot of miles but glad it worked for you. We need to start earning miles lol

Hello! I see a good deal for March but it's through Skyscanner. Will wait until Friday to see if we can score a good deal for the month of Feb. Absolutely with you on booking directly with the airline to avoid problems. We used to do that pre-covid but they are more expensive these days. Thank you!

Will be flying from DTW and also don't want over 30 hours of travel time per leg of the flight because we have a toddler. I will keep checking all the websites mentioned here and will also try Edge. Thank you so much!

Thank you everyone for helping me out. Appreciate your suggestions! 

We flew MSP-DTW-INC-CEB on Korean Air.  Total trip time was less than 24 hrs including layovers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.