Hemutian

November 2022 I-751 Filers

412 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Alexis2022 said:

Forgot to mention that my 751 was transferred a few days before appointment, so I guessed it would be a combo

Did you see that status update on the USCIS website? I'm supposed to have a combo interview in a few days, but my I-751 status hasn't changed since February 2023. I'm wondering if this will affect my interview in any way.

February 8, 2023: Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken.

November 10, 2022: We received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

45 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

Did you see that status update on the USCIS website? I'm supposed to have a combo interview in a few days, but my I-751 status hasn't changed since February 2023. I'm wondering if this will affect my interview in any way.

February 8, 2023: Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken.

November 10, 2022: We received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

Always assume combo.

1 hour ago, OldUser said:

Always assume combo.

I have a combo interview scheduled and have already received two interview notifications: one for the N-400 and another for the I-751. However, that's not my concern. My question was directed at Alexis22, asking if she noticed those changes in her status on the USCIS website. In her situation, the interviewer didn't have the proper documentation to approve her case, even though it had already been transferred. That was my question.

23 hours ago, Cornflake said:

I have a combo interview scheduled and have already received two interview notifications: one for the N-400 and another for the I-751. However, that's not my concern. My question was directed at Alexis22, asking if she noticed those changes in her status on the USCIS website. In her situation, the interviewer didn't have the proper documentation to approve her case, even though it had already been transferred. That was my question.

There was no changes until actual interview, and in 5 days after interview status changed to case was moved to another office, and in another 3 days it was transferred and a new office has jurisdiction so I guess officer requested those papers. Over all experience was really nice, and interviewer was very nice and caring. Keep my fingers crossed for you and myself ☺️🤞

Edited by Alexis2022

So here is my experience with my N-400 and I-751 combo interview. I received both invitations a little over a month before the interview date.

Appointment time: 6:45 AM

Arrived: 6:20 AM

Was called in: 8:05 AM

Finished: 8:30 AM

The interviewer did not allow my husband (a US citizen) to enter the room with me; he had to wait in the waiting room. Interestingly, the interviewer didn't request any documents listed in the mail invitations for the combo interview, even though I had prepared about 500 pages of proof for the I-751.

All I was asked to provide were my ID, my passport, and my green card.

First questions:

- What's your full name?

- Your date of birth?

The interviewer interspersed N-400 questions among the I-751 questions. 

Also he seemed a bit annoyed when, at the beginning, he asked for my husband's middle name, and I inquired whether he needed the shortened middle name (as it appears on my husband's ID and passport) or the full name. He kept saying, "Just say his middle name," and seemed annoyed by my question. In general it seemed like he didn’t wanna any conversation like talk, he wanted me just answer the questions straightforward and he didn’t wanna hear anything more or less. 

N-400 Questions:

- What did Martin Luther King, Jr. do?

- What are two rights in the Declaration of Independence?

- Who vetoes bills?

- There were 13 original states. Name three.

- What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?

- During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States?

I-751 Questions:

- Full name of the US spouse

- Date of birth of the US spouse

- Middle name of the US spouse

- Parents' names of the US spouse

- When he became a US citizen?

- Is he still a US citizen?

- How he became a US citizen?

- Where you were born?

- Where your husband was born?

- How many times have you been married?

- How many times your husband has been married?

- How many kids you have?

- How many kids does your husband have?

- When you got married?

- How you met?

-Were you separated at any point?

- What was your marital status when you met?

- What countries did you travel to together?

- Where do you work?

- Did you pay taxes each year since becoming a green card holder?

Writing sentence was: "California has a lot of people."

I don’t remember the reading sentence exactly, but it was not a basic one.

Then, he proceeded to ask yes/no questions from the N-400 form.

By the way, the interviewer spoke quite fast, and his pronunciation wasn’t very clear, which could make it difficult for someone not perfectly fluent in English to understand him completely.

I’ve heard many people say that the N-400 interview was the easiest, but in my case, it was more tense. The interviewer was much stricter than the woman who conducted our first interview.

At the end, he mentioned that he would inform me of the result in about 15 minutes as he needed to perform a background check first. When he called me back, he said, "I have bad news and good news. The bad news is that their system is down, and he can't complete the background check until the technician arrives to fix it today. That’s why he can’t give a final decision now. The good news is that he most likely recommends approving both cases, and I should check my USCIS account later in the evening.

@Cornflake thank you for posting the experience. I already wrote it somewhere, US citizenship is the biggest immigration benefit USCIS can grant and cannot easily revoke. I disagree with the sentiment shared by many that N-400 is the easiest part of immigration. I also posted my observation somewhere before: if you bring a lot of evidence, you're rarely asked for it; but if you bring the bare minimum - they'll ask for evidence in a lot of cases. I see the pile of evidence as insurance policy.

Good luck! The good news is, you can sue USCIS if you don't receive a decision within 60 days.

22 hours ago, Cornflake said:

So here is my experience with my N-400 and I-751 combo interview. I received both invitations a little over a month before the interview date.

Appointment time: 6:45 AM

Arrived: 6:20 AM

Was called in: 8:05 AM

Finished: 8:30 AM

The interviewer did not allow my husband (a US citizen) to enter the room with me; he had to wait in the waiting room. Interestingly, the interviewer didn't request any documents listed in the mail invitations for the combo interview, even though I had prepared about 500 pages of proof for the I-751.

All I was asked to provide were my ID, my passport, and my green card.

First questions:

- What's your full name?

- Your date of birth?

The interviewer interspersed N-400 questions among the I-751 questions. 

Also he seemed a bit annoyed when, at the beginning, he asked for my husband's middle name, and I inquired whether he needed the shortened middle name (as it appears on my husband's ID and passport) or the full name. He kept saying, "Just say his middle name," and seemed annoyed by my question. In general it seemed like he didn’t wanna any conversation like talk, he wanted me just answer the questions straightforward and he didn’t wanna hear anything more or less. 

N-400 Questions:

- What did Martin Luther King, Jr. do?

- What are two rights in the Declaration of Independence?

- Who vetoes bills?

- There were 13 original states. Name three.

- What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?

- During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States?

I-751 Questions:

- Full name of the US spouse

- Date of birth of the US spouse

- Middle name of the US spouse

- Parents' names of the US spouse

- When he became a US citizen?

- Is he still a US citizen?

- How he became a US citizen?

- Where you were born?

- Where your husband was born?

- How many times have you been married?

- How many times your husband has been married?

- How many kids you have?

- How many kids does your husband have?

- When you got married?

- How you met?

-Were you separated at any point?

- What was your marital status when you met?

- What countries did you travel to together?

- Where do you work?

- Did you pay taxes each year since becoming a green card holder?

Writing sentence was: "California has a lot of people."

I don’t remember the reading sentence exactly, but it was not a basic one.

Then, he proceeded to ask yes/no questions from the N-400 form.

By the way, the interviewer spoke quite fast, and his pronunciation wasn’t very clear, which could make it difficult for someone not perfectly fluent in English to understand him completely.

I’ve heard many people say that the N-400 interview was the easiest, but in my case, it was more tense. The interviewer was much stricter than the woman who conducted our first interview.

At the end, he mentioned that he would inform me of the result in about 15 minutes as he needed to perform a background check first. When he called me back, he said, "I have bad news and good news. The bad news is that their system is down, and he can't complete the background check until the technician arrives to fix it today. That’s why he can’t give a final decision now. The good news is that he most likely recommends approving both cases, and I should check my USCIS account later in the evening.

Anyways sounds good. Did it update?

22 hours ago, OldUser said:

@Cornflake thank you for posting the experience. I already wrote it somewhere, US citizenship is the biggest immigration benefit USCIS can grant and cannot easily revoke. I disagree with the sentiment shared by many that N-400 is the easiest part of immigration. I also posted my observation somewhere before: if you bring a lot of evidence, you're rarely asked for it; but if you bring the bare minimum - they'll ask for evidence in a lot of cases. I see the pile of evidence as insurance policy.

Good luck! The good news is, you can sue USCIS if you don't receive a decision within 60 days.

Do you have official sourse about 60 days?

9 hours ago, Alexis2022 said:

Anyways sounds good. Did it update?

Yes, I have both updates. Regarding I- 751 the status changed to:

April 5, 2024 Case Was Approved
April 5, 2024 We transferred your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, to another USCIS office that now has jurisdiction over your case.
April 4, 2024 Your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, was transferred to another USCIS office.

N-400
Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed April 4, 2024
We recommended that your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, be approved. Your case was submitted for quality review. April 4, 2024
Your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, was placed in line for oath ceremony scheduling. April 4, 2024
We scheduled an interview for your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. February 14, 2024

21 hours ago, Cornflake said:

Yes, I have both updates. Regarding I- 751 the status changed to:

April 5, 2024 Case Was Approved
April 5, 2024 We transferred your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, to another USCIS office that now has jurisdiction over your case.
April 4, 2024 Your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, was transferred to another USCIS office.

N-400
Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed April 4, 2024
We recommended that your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, be approved. Your case was submitted for quality review. April 4, 2024
Your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, was placed in line for oath ceremony scheduling. April 4, 2024
We scheduled an interview for your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. February 14, 2024

Congratulations 🎊 

Mine was changed to Oath will be scheduled. Does it mean they approved my cases or am I on hold?

10 hours ago, OldUser said:

They approved them, you're in line for naturalization. 

Thank you, I was reading on internet meaning of this status and most of them stated it means nothing

1 hour ago, Alexis2022 said:

Thank you, I was reading on internet meaning of this status and most of them stated it means nothing

It is somewhat true. Online status is not legally binding and can change to anything else any time. The only thing that matters is when you have your certificate of naturalization in hand. Compared to "Your case is being actively reviewed" this one is more concrete though. Of course no solid promises can be made.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.