Iam_imelda_

Newly Wed needs help

13 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Guys, I need your help no matter how little it is. I am an LPR in the United States, a Nigerian, a newly Wed. My husband is currently on a student visa in Europe due to his masters. We’ve been away for 8months🥲and we re looking for a way he can come visit me for the Christmas holiday and then go back after spending a week or 2 with me. We really don’t know if it is a good idea for him to apply and he’ll b granted, we don’t even know where to start from, should he apply, should he not? We just got married in Jan and ve been away since March, is it a good idea for him to apply and not get refused? Can he apply for a Tourist visa or?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Chance of him getting B-2 isslim since you're married. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

We are married Traditionally,No record of we being married in court yet. Does he still have a chance? We intend getting married in court next year since we are both schooling and not coming bck to Nigeria yet

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
6 hours ago, Iam_imelda_ said:

We are married Traditionally,No record of we being married in court yet. Does he still have a chance? We intend getting married in court next year since we are both schooling and not coming bck to Nigeria yet

So you guys are married married but don't have a marriage certificate? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Iam_imelda_ said:

Traditionally, yes. 

By your definition of "Traditionally", i assume a bride price was paid, right? If yes, then you're officially married in the eyes of the law. Traditional Marriage is one of the recognised type of marriage in Nigeria. You need to approach a Local registry to register such union. Traditional and Court Marriage are two different types that does not meddle with each other as identified by the Nigerian Law. The only difference is that Traditional Marriage isn't suitable for Immigration purposes as it allows Polygamy but it still does not rule out the fact that its a union within the jurisdiction in which it happened.

That said, the chances of your partner with a Visitor's visa is slim since he's a student in the UK and by your union might be assumed to have immigration intent as he has a very low ties to the U.K where he's not a resident.

You can give it a shot if you've got a couple of bulks to blow but i wouldn't get my hopes high. Still, like a saying, you loose 100 percent of a chance you didn't take.

Also, don't ever lie to Immigration Officer, they always find out things. If you decided to try and the question pops up, makes sure he paints the exact picture and not hide specifics. Cheers

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Looking at 4 months to get an appointment.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

23 hours ago, Iam_imelda_ said:

or?

You book a flight to England and feast on Xmas Goose.

Kill two birds with one shot and plan a Utah zoom marriage while there  and have it ready to file his I-130...he will have the advantage of getting a 10 year card .  as you are probably looking at a wait of 2 to 3 years.

You are definitely “ married “ as per Law of The Land your marriage took place in so don’t create unnecessary problems for both of you by claiming single status on any documents…

This random web Nigerian lawyer site is  stuffy, condescending ,  snooty and repeatedly calls people ignorant..but since I had to read it , am sharing the “pain” in good spirit. Lol! 

Such marriage does not enjoy the full rights accorded to English marriage (that is marriage according to the law)

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-legally-married-onyekachi-umah

Edited by Family

Timeline
13 hours ago, AfroKing said:

By your definition of "Traditionally", i assume a bride price was paid, right? If yes, then you're officially married in the eyes of the law. Traditional Marriage is one of the recognised type of marriage in Nigeria. You need to approach a Local registry to register such union. Traditional and Court Marriage are two different types that does not meddle with each other as identified by the Nigerian Law. The only difference is that Traditional Marriage isn't suitable for Immigration purposes as it allows Polygamy but it still does not rule out the fact that its a union within the jurisdiction in which it happened.

That said, the chances of your partner with a Visitor's visa is slim since he's a student in the UK and by your union might be assumed to have immigration intent as he has a very low ties to the U.K where he's not a resident.

You can give it a shot if you've got a couple of bulks to blow but i wouldn't get my hopes high. Still, like a saying, you loose 100 percent of a chance you didn't take.

Also, don't ever lie to Immigration Officer, they always find out things. If you decided to try and the question pops up, makes sure he paints the exact picture and not hide specifics. Cheers

I wasn’t going to lie to them. I am yet to change my status to Mrs since I do not ve a certificate In order to start filing for him. I just want to know the chance of it being granted. I am trying to get a Visa to Europe myself since I was told it was going to take 15days but den, I stil want to know if he should apply.

12 hours ago, Boiler said:

Looking at 4 months to get an appointment.

If him waiting for 4months means it’ll b granted can he stil apply while I travel to his location? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You apply and find out at the interview.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Iam_imelda_ said:

If him waiting for 4months means it’ll b granted can he stil apply while I travel to his location? 

That's not what Boiler meant.  He was referring to the wait time for a B visa interview appointment.

Why don't you just start an immigrant petition for him?  I can't see him getting a B visa with such weak ties to home.

The chances of a single Nigeran male getting a B2 visa is pretty slim.  He can pay the fee, do the interview and hope that Immigration Officer doesn't ask why are you wanting to visit the US.

The chances of a Traditionally married Nigerian male getting a B2 visa are much slimmer but the same procedure applies.

His being denied a tourist visa does not have any affect on future immigration as long has he is truthful.

If you want to visit him it is not a European visa you are asking for.   You need a UK visa.  The process begins online and take more the 15 days to complete, and that is after you get a biometric done, unless you want to pay crazy expedite fees.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, Iam_imelda_ said:

I wasn’t going to lie to them. I am yet to change my status to Mrs since I do not ve a certificate In order to start filing for him. I just want to know the chance of it being granted. I am trying to get a Visa to Europe myself since I was told it was going to take 15days but den, I stil want to know if he should apply.

My point is, if a bride price was paid at the traditional marriage, you are officially married in the eyes of the Nigerian Law. All you need do is just get a certificate at the Local registry. I made that point to inform you of your status so you don't unintentionally make a misrepresentation since you assume you're not married yet, in the eyes of the law. 

Your Partner's chances for B2 is slim, but it never hurts to try.

Cheers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.