Kai&Mac

We just applied for K-1, are we really looking at 26 months?

114 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Steve & Erma said:

I'm just going to throw this out there even though you have said it won't work for you.

The Utah online wedding is simple. You get a license, set a date within 32 days of getting the license, you both get on the zoom call at that date and time (you can be in separate countries as long as you can get on the zoom call), the officiant they provide marries youb in minutes (took us all of 15 minutes from start to finish), and in about 10 minutes you get the electronic marriage certificate and in a week you get the paper copy. I'm the eyes of the United States you are now husband and wife. Fly to wherever you can both meet up and "consummate" the marriage (take lots of pictures). Fly back to the USA and file for the spousal visa.

I don't know what the laws in Japan are about marriage but none of that applies in a US wedding. I married a Filipina and we have to report the marriage to the Philippines government only so she can legally change her name there. We just got married on 9/14. Hope this

One thing my lawyer pointed out when I asked about Utah marriage.  Although USCIS doesn't considered you to be married for immigration purposes until you meet in person to "consummate" the virtual marriage, other state and local agencies do consider you married as of the date of the ceremony. In particular the IRS does, so don't overlook the tax filing consequences.

13 hours ago, Nuba said:

One thing my lawyer pointed out when I asked about Utah marriage.  Although USCIS doesn't considered you to be married for immigration purposes until you meet in person to "consummate" the virtual marriage, other state and local agencies do consider you married as of the date of the ceremony. In particular the IRS does, so don't overlook the tax filing consequences.

Is that a good thing or bad thing I am going to be filling joint taxes this year? Do I somehow have to figure out how much she make with her little cake business that she barely makes any money with?

Texas Service Center
Consulate: Manila
Marriage: 09/14/2022

I-130 Sent: 09/29/2022
I-130 NOA1: 10/14/2022 
I-129F Sent: 10/10/2022, REC 10/20/2022
I-129F NOA1: 10/25/2022

I-130 NOA2: 8/31/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
19 hours ago, Nuba said:

Although USCIS doesn't considered you to be married for immigration purposes until you meet in person to "consummate" the virtual marriage,

Just to add:  After consummation, USCIS, also, will consider the marriage legal as of the date on the marriage certificate

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 9/12/2022 at 6:05 AM, Crazy Cat said:

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
    In some situations, marriage can affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice   
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

Things sure have changed

When we did our K1 it was the opposite.  But in my case as well as the OP the bureaucracy of getting married in her country is what told us to do K1.  But we did not have the backlog that exists now. Now it is much shorter and easier for spousal.

My wife had parole and work permit 6 weeks after marriage and initial green card 3 months after marriage.  You do not see those numbers now since the pandemic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 9/27/2022 at 10:52 AM, Lynxyonok said:

I wish I had a crystal ball for you :)

Let's wait for the Q3 2022 report. That's where we get to see if "4,000 new USCIS hires" were myth or reality.

Q3 report is up; processing delays went up by over a month.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/data/Quarterly_All_Forms_FY2022_Q3.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Lynxyonok said:

Q3 report is up; processing delays went up by over a month.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/data/Quarterly_All_Forms_FY2022_Q3.pdf

They received 12,686 new I-129s, but they processed only 7,230 cases......  The backlog continues to grow.   They denied 38%???  Wow.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

They received 12,686 new I-129s, but they processed only 7,230 cases......  The backlog continues to grow. 

And U4U is interestingly omitted altogether. That program had to have impacted everyone else, but by how much?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

They received 12,686 new I-129s, but they processed only 7,230 cases......  The backlog continues to grow.   They denied 38%???  Wow.

my noa1 is april 2022, according to this  chart the processing time is 12.9.

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/. this  website tells me processing time is 14  months. Slightly off?

4 hours ago, GinoNiña said:

my noa1 is april 2022, according to this  chart the processing time is 12.9.

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/. this  website tells me processing time is 14  months. Slightly off?

It is the Q3 report. We are at the end of Q4. Q4 will show 14 months.

Edited by Nikobe

16 minutes ago, Nikobe said:

It is the Q3 report. We are at the end of Q4. Q4 will show 14 months.

Based on 50,103 pending applications and assuming a constant rate of applications and processing, it takes the USCIS 6.9 quarters --> 20.8 months --> ~624 days to work through the pending applications if somebody is interested in this little number.

Spike to 8000 cases processed (daily 125) --> 6.3 quarters

Spike to 10000 cases processed (daily 157) --> 5 quarters

Spike to 15000 cases processed (daily 234) --> 3.3 quarters

The USCIS numbers are usually lower than the above as it is reported for median processing times for 80% of cases (that also makes sense because some cases are naturally/legally more complex).

Monday being the strongest day (alongside Friday) according to our fellow case trackers had 97 approvals in July 21 filers, 17 for June, 5 for May ==> 119 approvals. Considering that there is roughly 5% "easy" denials of new filers based on my 500 group (failure to comply with the simple regulations like paying etc.) => 200 cases per month, 7 per day, we can raise the number to 126 processed cases (+ X unknown cases from other months processed based on expedites/randoms) on the strongest day of the week (benchmark for what USCIS is currently capable of with the allocated workforce for I129F).

Therefore, it is fair to say that the USCIS is at 130 cases per day capability as per September --> ~6 quarters for 100% of the cases processed --> 5 quarters for 80%, which in turn is roughly 15 months. USCIS needs to get to Monday levels consistently in order to achieve this, however.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
14 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

I'm guessing the denied must be included rejected, withdrawn and denied cases.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
32 minutes ago, GinoNiña said:

So when my case leave uscis and moves to nvc and eventually makes it to my local embassy, I have no more chance to track it? is that how it works?

You may wanna check this out

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nfin98c33IEpB0T0FlURERriblYmlm5O/view

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.