Rio-N-Don

USC for children living overseas of newly naturalized USC

27 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Rio-N-Don said:
16 hours ago, Family said:

Part of OP s frustration is based on USCIS telephone agent “advising “ him that he can file N-600 as soon as wife naturalizes ..( per previous post Nov 2021) .

Hopefully he returns and realizes , completing the two pending I-130 for the children is the only option…and of course his wife can go in advance to accompany children to the interview.

thanks, that seems to be the only option.

It's just frustrating as hell when we pay boat loads of money for crappy service and others just waltz in across the border for free and get free transport to wherever they want to go, etc.

play by the rules and get bent over.

Well you saved big $$ by DIY ing the process without using an attorney…and it does get complicated BUT you brought your wife in successfully, so now just keep at for the children . 

Since you ( USC ) filed  for them, they will not age out no matter the delay/ backlog w Manila . 
You can review USCIS expedite criteria and if you think you meet it , call and request it.

Though I appreciate your frustration and this as good a place for a bit of healthy venting …I will defer to others to validate….

I am best at sharing Hope and Hail Mary Solutions..lol! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
17 hours ago, Mike E said:

N-600K requires that the U.S. Citizen parent live outside the USA with the child. 

https://www.uscis.gov/n-600k

my guess isn’t it are looking at the N-600 web page.  N-600K and N-600 are different. 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/n-600k.pdf

part 7 let’s you select the preferred location for the interview. 

if you file N-600K the child interviews in the USA. The child enters the USA on a B-2 visa. 

Again n-600K is not the same as as N-600. If you go the I-130 route and it is successful and the child enters the USA before are 18, then yes get a passport and passport card.  Then after that file N-600.  

Recall your OP asked for a way to bypass I-130.  N-600K bypasses I-130. It has a cost. Given one child is 16, and given she doesn’t have 5 years of physical presence N-600K for the 16 year old won’t work.  

Looking at the processing time for NE service center, I-130's are already on 12/26 and our filing date was 11/28-29. USCIS went down and I couldn't get the second child filed until the next morning.

We should be getting acted up soon. Can't understand why it hasn't already happened since others are on later priority dates but it seems to be par for the course this time around. As I mentioned earlier my wife's N-400 priority date was 3/21 yet others are way past this date as well. 

Thanks for the suggestion about the I-864W that should help some.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Rio-N-Don said:

Looking at the processing time for NE service center, I-130's are already on 12/26 and our filing date was 11/28-29.

That doesn't mean ALL forms prior to that date have been processed.  It means SOME have.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, Rio-N-Don said:

Looking at the processing time for NE service center, I-130's are already on 12/26 and our filing date was 11/28-29. USCIS went down and I couldn't get the second child filed until the next morning.

We should be getting acted up soon. Can't understand why it hasn't already happened since others are on later priority dates but it seems to be par for the course this time around. As I mentioned earlier my wife's N-400 priority date was 3/21 yet others are way past this date as well. 

Thanks for the suggestion about the I-864W that should help some.

Note that as the 16 year old gets closer to age 18, you can use this to try to expedite the 16 year old’s process. The basis for expedition is that the child will lose the opportunity to acquire citizenship automatically. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
On 9/11/2022 at 11:42 AM, Rio-N-Don said:

if I understand correctly that the N-600 is nice to have but a passport works just as well.

Not totally true a child will likely need a certificate of naturalization at some point in life when applying for certain jobs and immgration benefits for family in the future. It is much easier to file an n600 now than years later when the proof needed is easily available to show the children quality citizenship.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 9/12/2022 at 8:00 AM, Crazy Cat said:

That doesn't mean ALL forms prior to that date have been processed.  It means SOME have.  

Wife had her N-400 interview yesterday - approved.

While there I mentioned I had requested the kids I-130 be expedited out of concern one of them may age out.

The agent approved both of them for us by the end of the day. Big shout out to this lady.

Timeline
On 9/17/2022 at 10:38 AM, da95826 said:

Not totally true a child will likely need a certificate of naturalization at some point in life when applying for certain jobs and immgration benefits for family in the future. It is much easier to file an n600 now than years later when the proof needed is easily available to show the children quality citizenship.

Not sure how the certificate of naturalization out weighs the passport as proof of citizenship.

They wouldn't give the kids a US passport if they didn't qualify.

The kids will always maintain a current passport and even if it expired the passport renewal process asks for your old passport number anyways so there will always be some proof.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Rio-N-Don said:

Not sure how the certificate of naturalization out weighs the passport as proof of citizenship

The passport is issued by the US State Department, they do not have the final word on whether or not someone is a USA citizen, USCIS does. Also if you need to prove citizenship over time the naturalization certificate shows citizenship longer than the start date on a passport. 

For some things someone may apply for like getting security clearance or some immgration petitions a naturalization certificate is required. It is almost like getting a birth certificate you may not need it often but when you need it you gotta have it.

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Approved June 08, 2022

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Rio-N-Don said:

Not sure how the certificate of naturalization out weighs the passport as proof of citizenship.

They wouldn't give the kids a US passport if they didn't qualify.

The kids will always maintain a current passport and even if it expired the passport renewal process asks for your old passport number anyways so there will always be some proof.

1 hour ago, da95826 said:
1 hour ago, Rio-N-Don said:

Not sure how the certificate of naturalization out weighs the passport as proof of citizenship

The passport is issued by the US State Department, they do not have the final word on whether or not someone is a USA citizen, USCIS does. Also if you need to prove citizenship over time the naturalization certificate shows citizenship longer than the start date on a passport. 

For some things someone may apply for like getting security clearance or some immgration petitions a naturalization certificate is required. It is almost like getting a birth certificate you may not need it often but when you need it you gotta have it.

A US Passport is vulnerable to being REVOKED ..by DOS and even the IRS  . 

You can also request a fee waiver , if you qualify https://www.uscis.gov/i-912https://www.uscis.gov/i-912

Revocation or Denial of Passport in Case of Certain Unpaid Taxes

Timeline

Revoked means it can't be used for travel. It doesn't mean it never existed and therefore your citizenship never existed. Lesson #1 - pay your taxes.

Maybe I will get them a COC at some point, but it's $2300 that can be better spent elsewhere, like their plane tickets, setting them up for school.

I keep all of the immigration documents that I've done for them, the wife and both kids, in soft and hard copies.

IMHO is shouldn't even be required. If my wife goes over to the Philippines to prepare them, Medical and Interview while she is already a US citizen and they are her minor children, then that should be sufficient. Or how about adding it onto the ton of money I've already spent for them to do her paperwork, yet they can't add another document to the pile of papers they already create?

I don't mind playing by the rules, and this is not my first time around the immigration merry-go-round, but i do get tired of being fleeced, and not for nickels and dimes, at every damn turn. Oh and did i mention with crappy service for the most part.

Edited by Rio-N-Don

Timeline
On 9/30/2022 at 5:56 PM, Rio-N-Don said:

Maybe I will get them a COC at some point, but it's $2300 that can be better spent elsewhere, like their plane tickets, setting them up for school.

Preserve the evidence to file an n600, you need to prove that the minors had a valid green card and in the custody of the USA citizen parent in the USA.

Keep evidence like parent naturalization certificate, birth records, marriage certificate, minor's green card, minor’s school record, immgration records, any evidence of the minor residing with and in the custody of the US parent in the USA. Easiest to provide this evidence now but may be more difficult to prove years from now when minors may need it a decade or two later. 

With the needed proof the green card minor becomes a US citizen by function of law as long as you can prove all the conditions have been satisfied when you need to.

The US state department issues passports but does not have final word whether or not a person is a US citizen. If there is any question about citizenship they can and will pull the passport. If you get a certificate of citizenship you have proof positive of citizenship. 

It may be a lot of money to file an n600 but given they are minors and may need it in their life I think it is worth it to finalize their citizenship legally.

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Approved June 08, 2022

Approved June 08, 2022

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.