JenIE

I-751 September 2022 Filers

736 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, KS1988 said:

Why? I still have my 24 month extension and really hoping it won't take longer...

I wouldn't bet on that.  My wife's I-751 took 44 months.  You have a right to have the 48 month extension letter.  I would absolutely get one. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

35 minutes ago, KS1988 said:

Omg 44 months!!! I guess I'll follow your advice. Thank you!

Unless you file for N400, and even then some are taking a while, you are likely to need that 48-month extension letter.  Most service centers are taking almost two years, most of them MORE than two years if N400 is not filed.

Also, if you are planning to fly, I wouldn't bet on an officer taking the 24-month extension if they are aware there is a 48-month.  A port of entry officer might err on the side of caution and only allow the 48-month one.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

3 hours ago, KS1988 said:

Omg 44 months!!! I guess I'll follow your advice. Thank you!

44 month was when extension letters were 12/18/24 months. I would not be surprised to see cases for 2022 and above taking +72 months if they don't file for N400 ....

3 hours ago, Fe.Ta said:

Unless you file for N400, and even then some are taking a while, you are likely to need that 48-month extension letter.  Most service centers are taking almost two years, most of them MORE than two years if N400 is not filed.

Also, if you are planning to fly, I wouldn't bet on an officer taking the 24-month extension if they are aware there is a 48-month.  A port of entry officer might err on the side of caution and only allow the 48-month one.

I'm considering filing for N400 when I'm able to. 

Why would an officer reject a legit official paper? Plus if it is not expired?

2 minutes ago, A110 said:

44 month was when extension letters were 12/18/24 months. I would not be surprised to see cases for 2022 and above taking +72 months if they don't file for N400 ....

This is a ridiculous amount of time. I'm wondering if anyone on this tread got their papers already...but I guess not. 

31 minutes ago, KS1988 said:

They won't reject it, but may be confused and thus you'd have to jump through extra hoops. You have something to lose and the officer does not

1 hour ago, KS1988 said:

1 hour ago, A110 said:

They won't reject it, but may be confused and thus you'd have to jump through extra hoops. You have something to lose and the officer does not

As @A110 pointed, you have to keep in mind that while officers have general rules to follow, it is their full discretion whether they allow you entry or not - or decide to point you towards extra rooms to make your entry more difficult.  Technically, legally, if the letter is not expired, it continues to be legal and you have the right of entry.  But, it does not mean they will make it easier on your if they decide to be picky.  When it comes to POE, officers can make it difficult and annoying even for USC (been there).

While the paper is legit and official.  The officer can either be confused (thinking the 48-month replaces the 24-month, not being aware some people do not have them yet, etc.) OR they could prefer or have more peace of mind for themselves to ask/seek the 48-month extension.

If you are planning to apply for the N400 when your window opens, then you should not be worried about the extra extension letters, etc. as far as them continuing to go up in months.  However, I will strongly advise you to get the 48-month extension.  I am sure you can request it from the USCIS if you are planning to travel.  It will just make your trip less stressful and smoother.  Again, it could be 50/50.  But, I have seen the negative side to POE from traveling a lot and talking to others (I am an USC).  To me, it is not worth the risk traveling with a 24-month extension when you can request the 48-month ahead of time.  If you didn't have an option, then it would be worth just traveling.  But, if it is readily available, might as well.  Yet, it is up to you.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

It is a ridiculous amount of time.  Don't quote me on this, but I think maybe 1 or 2 have, which is crazy.  I also know some August 2022 filers also got approved.  But, these are one-offs that we can't figure out why they got lucky.

The reality is that most people wait for several years.  For some, the N400 shakes it loose and for others it just doesn't help.  USCIS does not have a logic or reasoning.  They state things and say processes are done a certain way.  But, the reality is, they do not act nor do they process them accordingly.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, BuggyBan said:

Update: Finally did my biometrics this week. Potomac service center, did the biometrics in TX where I live.

I hope this means we get ours soon.  I have not hope, though.  But, we are also from September 2022 and at Potomac.  However, we are in Florida, so that's why I am not optimistic of getting biometrics soon. LOL

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Anyone else getting ready to file for citizenship to try to speed up the process? I'll become eligible in August and started filling out the online form this week.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

Anyone else getting ready to file for citizenship to try to speed up the process? I'll become eligible in August and started filling out the online form this week.

We somehow got our I-751 approved in 5 months but we are planning to apply for citizenship next month. So glad that the N-400 is pretty straightforward compared to all the other forms we've had to fill out!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.