Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,136 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Coco_2023 said:

@Froozion You're right but there are concerns in my case, one that I can't find a definitive description of what "...have not returned..." means in their statement ie does it mean residency there for 6 months+, or just visiting for a shorter period of time, etc.

2nd, it clearly states "this cert expires in 6 months" in my police certificate that I've got 1 year ago for my back home thru it's embassy, so I'd appreciate it if anybody can share their experience of a similar case

As your dq date is March 2023, I anticipate you will be invited next month or the following month. I would just order a new one to prevent there being any issues, especially if you have traveled back to that country since ordering the first report, it would also solve the 6 month problem too! 

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anybody in the EB2-NIW crew got the lowdown on what extra docs we need to bring for this interview aside from the ones listed in the interview check list, since I hear some folks are asked to show the original or cerificied copies of their academic and other merit based documets during the interview?

I'm asking since some folks like myself in EB2-NIW specifically might need a suitcase for all the eligibility documents submitted to USCIS initially. It's just to stay prepared in case the officer throws a random request our way. Gotta be ready for anything:) 

1 hour ago, Coco_2023 said:

@Froozion You're right but there are concerns in my case, one that I can't find a definitive description of what "...have not returned..." means in their statement ie does it mean residency there for 6 months+, or just visiting for a shorter period of time, etc.

2nd, it clearly states "this cert expires in 6 months" in my police certificate that I've got 1 year ago for my back home thru it's embassy, so I'd appreciate it if anybody can share their experience of a similar case

Although USCIS increased validity to two years I would still go with what is mentioned on the Montreal site. In my case the certificate was older than 2 years but even it was not I would still go with the latest one. It does not make any sense to risk it. Also I last travelled to my home country in 2018 and after I submitted the docs to NVC I did not travel back so I just went with what I submitted to NVC. They looked at it and returned it back. If you travel even for a single day and if that travel reflects on your ds 260 they will expect a police certificate if the total length of stay after you turned 18 was more than 6 months for that country. I would not risk it and apply for one else that is good reason to be put in administrative processing. Also remember rules of USCIS are not the same for DOS. recently USCIS made a change for the medical rule that if you have once done medical even if there was a delay you do not need to do medical again but that is not the case with the consulate. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Coco_2023 said:

Anybody in the EB2-NIW crew got the lowdown on what extra docs we need to bring for this interview aside from the ones listed in the interview check list, since I hear some folks are asked to show the original or cerificied copies of their academic and other merit based documets during the interview?

I'm asking since some folks like myself in EB2-NIW specifically might need a suitcase for all the eligibility documents submitted to USCIS initially. It's just to stay prepared in case the officer throws a random request our way. Gotta be ready for anything:) 

This is interesting and I am also very interested in the experience of others. I will likely bring my entire set of documents that were submitted for approval of my EB2-NIW.

The thing is though that supposedly the consulate is not supposed to re-adjudicate your case once it has been approved but I guess that is open to interpretation as to what re-adjudicate actually means. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, TheMaverick said:

Although USCIS increased validity to two years I would still go with what is mentioned on the Montreal site. In my case the certificate was older than 2 years but even it was not I would still go with the latest one. It does not make any sense to risk it. Also I last travelled to my home country in 2018 and after I submitted the docs to NVC I did not travel back so I just went with what I submitted to NVC. They looked at it and returned it back. If you travel even for a single day and if that travel reflects on your ds 260 they will expect a police certificate if the total length of stay after you turned 18 was more than 6 months for that country. I would not risk it and apply for one else that is good reason to be put in administrative processing. Also remember rules of USCIS are not the same for DOS. recently USCIS made a change for the medical rule that if you have once done medical even if there was a delay you do not need to do medical again but that is not the case with the consulate. 

@TheMaverick Does your police cert from your home country state an expiry date e.g. 6 month, etc.?

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Texasbound1 said:

This is interesting and I am also very interested in the experience of others. I will likely bring my entire set of documents that were submitted for approval of my EB2-NIW.

The thing is though that supposedly the consulate is not supposed to re-adjudicate your case once it has been approved but I guess that is open to interpretation as to what re-adjudicate actually means. 

Agreed.  I am also wondering if we are allowed to bring that much documents ie books, articles, etc. with us to the consulate

Edited by Coco_2023

4 hours ago, Halioak said:

Hi Adam.  Congrats!  Did you get the letter from the consulate or NVC?  I noticed my CEAC last updated date changed to April 16th and assuming they moved to my case. but no IL yet.  Thanks!

Hi @Halioak Thank you! I received it from NVC.  

On 4/17/2024 at 2:52 PM, Coco_2023 said:

Congratulations @Adam RS for the invite!

Are you in EB2-NIW category or EB2, and what's your filing date?

EB2-NIW

37 minutes ago, Coco_2023 said:

@TheMaverick Does your police cert from your home country state an expiry date e.g. 6 month, etc.?

I would not think too much on what is specified or stated on the certificate in terms of expiry. If you have left your home country and if that certificate was issued to you after you left that place and if you have not visited again you should be good. That is why NVC accepted it and provided the DQ. All the VO needs to know is that you were cleared by your home country. If you have visited again, the rules are open to interpretation. In this case if its not a hassle, I would go with the safest bet of trying to get another one. In my case it was not straight forward to get one, so i made it a point to not travel back until this was resolved.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, TheMaverick said:

I would not think too much on what is specified or stated on the certificate in terms of expiry. If you have left your home country and if that certificate was issued to you after you left that place and if you have not visited again you should be good. That is why NVC accepted it and provided the DQ. All the VO needs to know is that you were cleared by your home country. If you have visited again, the rules are open to interpretation. In this case if its not a hassle, I would go with the safest bet of trying to get another one. In my case it was not straight forward to get one, so i made it a point to not travel back until this was resolved.

Thanks @TheMaverick  I'm facing a similar challenge with obtaining a new police certificate from my home country. It typically takes 2-3 months for it to be issued due to extensive bureaucracy

Congrats to everyone who got their interview letters. I'm on EB1 DQ Sep 2023. I want to believe that I'll get an IL sometime over the next 6 months or so but I honestly don't trust the Montreal consulate to be transparent and consistent with their processing of EB applicants. On the verge of transferring my case to another consulate.

Edited by AJSin1

34 minutes ago, Adam RS said:

Hi @Halioak Thank you! I received it from NVC.  

EB2-NIW

Thank you.  NVC always send notice to my attorney. Will check with them.  Could you please share your timeline a little.  For my case, Sent to Montreal from NVC on Mar. 05, Case shows READY on Mar. 22th, Last updated date changed to April 16 with the same READY status.  Wanted to calibrate my timeline with yours if possible.  Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Halioak said:

Thank you.  NVC always send notice to my attorney. Will check with them.  Could you please share your timeline a little.  For my case, Sent to Montreal from NVC on Mar. 05, Case shows READY on Mar. 22th, Last updated date changed to April 16 with the same READY status.  Wanted to calibrate my timeline with yours if possible.  Thank you!

Would you please let me know how I can check when the documents were sent to Montreal?!!

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
46 minutes ago, AJSin1 said:

Congrats to everyone who got their interview letters. I'm on EB1 DQ Sep 2023. I want to believe that I'll get an IL sometime over the next 6 months or so but I honestly don't trust the Montreal consulate to be transparent and consistent with their processing of EB applicants. On the verge of transferring my case to another consulate.

I’m EB1 PD Aug. 2023, DQ Oct. 2023. 

Also hoping this progress is a good sign. Would love to have a date before the end of the year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.