Bieloanya

Requested to expedite... They told me to book an infopass appointment?!

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everyone, 

Here I am again hoping to get some wisdom from this amazing community! 

So, last week I requested to expedite my AOS (i485) through Emma and last Friday I got an email from USCIS asking to turn on the evidence. 

I saw a phone number and assumed I'd have to send a fax, so I started gathering the evidence and got everything ready on Tuesday. 

But when I looked up the email again, I realized they actually wrote that I was supposed to call that number and make an infopass appointment! They weren't giving me the option to send a FAX. 

So I called them today and after a 45 wait, I was able to talk to an agent, who was quite rude to me. She didn't know why I got that email, as they don't schedule appointments for certain things and that she couldn't do anything for me. 

I was like... What? 

She basically didn't do anything and did all she "politely" could to get rid of me and end the call. 

I mean... USCIS told me to call and make an appointment, it was not my idea lol

So I called again, 50 more minutes on the phone before being able to speak to someone, and then finally reached another agent. 

That lady was surprised as well an said it was the first time she saw something like that! USCIS usually requests to turn in the evidence via FAX, not in person. 

She had to dig in few minutes before being able to understand how to put me in the queue for an appointment. But she eventually managed and now I'm expecting a call from them in the next 72h to book the infopass appointment. 

But now I am wondering... Should I be worried? 

Why would they wanna see me in person for that? Maybe something is wrong with my case? 

Or maybe, on the other hand, I'd get interviewed on the spot if they think that the evidence is satisfactory? (I've been waiting for my interview for Green Card for over two years now) 

Did anyone else had a similar experience? 

Thank you! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not think I have come across an I 485 being expedited.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I do not think I have come across an I 485 being expedited.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be successful myself. 

The jobs I've been applying to require me to have a green card, as I have to be able to fly in and out of the country freely and they don't accept an AP

I think I'm wasting my time by trying to expedite the AOS, but I thought I'd try as I have several rejection letters stating clearly the above, but I also still have two job applications in progress, stating that I can advance only if I get a GC soon. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Most likely a system error (or you misunderstood their ask) and appointment will only be a waste of your time.

Timeline:

Spoiler

AOS Journey:

Spoiler

08/19/2016 - day 0 - I-485, I-130, I-765 sent to USCIS office in Chicago (PD: 08/23/2016)

08/31/2016 - day 9 - electronic NOAs received via text and email, check is cashed.

09/08/2016 - day 17 - biometrics appointment notice received in the mail (appointment date 09/19/2016).

09/13/2016 - day 22 - early biometrics walk in.

10/28/2016 - day 67 - EAD status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

11/16/2016 - day 87 - EAD card received in mail.

06/27/2017 - day 309 - contacted the congressman office.

07/28/2017 - day 340 - finally received an interview appointment in mail (online status has not changed).

08/31/2017 - day 374 - Interview; I-485 status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'

09/08/2017 - day 382 - greencard received in mail

I-751 & N400 Journey:

Spoiler

06/20/2019 - day 1036 - ROC packet mailed (PD: 06/21/2019)

06/29/2019 - day 1045 - NOA/Extension letter received in the mail (new GC expiration date is 2/28/2021)

01/17/2020 - day 1256 - biometrics appointment

06/03/2020 - day 1382 - N400 filed online (PD: 06/04/2020)

02/01/2021 - day 1626 - Biometric Reuse notice uploaded to my online account

02/08/2021 - day 1634 - Interview Appointment notice uploaded to my online account

03/16/2021 - day 1670 - N400 Interview - passed; due to I-751 stuck in another office 'No decision can be made at this time'

06/01/2021 - day 1747 - with help of Sen. Sanders' office, I-751 file finally forwarded to St. Albans field office

06/28/2021 - day 1774 - I-751 status changed to 'New Card is Being Produced'; N400 status changed to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'

08/19/2021 - day 1826 (exactly 5 years since day 0) - Oath Ceremony (notice received on 7/19/21)

Timeline
3 minutes ago, .yana said:

Most likely a system error (or you misunderstood their ask) and appointment will only be a waste of your time.

Attaching the screenshot of the email I got from USCIS (that the agents on the phone could see and read too from their side). 

I mean, it seems pretty straight forward to me. 

I would have gladly sent a fax instead, but I didn't have that option 

Screenshots_2022-08-03-15-40-40.png

15 minutes ago, Bieloanya said:

Yeah, I don't think I'll be successful myself. 

The jobs I've been applying to require me to have a green card, as I have to be able to fly in and out of the country freely and they don't accept an AP

I think I'm wasting my time by trying to expedite the AOS, but I thought I'd try as I have several rejection letters stating clearly the above, but I also still have two job applications in progress, stating that I can advance only if I get a GC soon. 

Book the InfoPass and it’s absolutely worth the effort to go to your Field Office. Human contact often works and interactive USCIS recognized you stated your reasons quite well! 

Even if expedite is not granted, they may just nudge ( call your file ) if it’s still stuck in the black hole. So be your charming Italian self and TRY! 

Edited by Family

Timeline
17 hours ago, Family said:

Book the InfoPass and it’s absolutely worth the effort to go to your Field Office. Human contact often works and interactive USCIS recognized you stated your reasons quite well! 

Even if expedite is not granted, they may just nudge ( call your file ) if it’s still stuck in the black hole. So be your charming Italian self and TRY! 

This comment made my day haha

You really are the highlight of this community! @Family

1 hour ago, Bieloanya said:

This comment made my day haha

You really are the highlight of this community! @Family

I sent @Pens to do the same ( unrelated need to expedite an I-131 and  buried in the hole I-485)…and magically her LPR was approved a week later. 
Make sure you break into “ Io voi far l’americano”…

20 hours ago, Bieloanya said:

Hi everyone, 

Here I am again hoping to get some wisdom from this amazing community! 

So, last week I requested to expedite my AOS (i485) through Emma and last Friday I got an email from USCIS asking to turn on the evidence. 

I saw a phone number and assumed I'd have to send a fax, so I started gathering the evidence and got everything ready on Tuesday. 

But when I looked up the email again, I realized they actually wrote that I was supposed to call that number and make an infopass appointment! They weren't giving me the option to send a FAX. 

So I called them today and after a 45 wait, I was able to talk to an agent, who was quite rude to me. She didn't know why I got that email, as they don't schedule appointments for certain things and that she couldn't do anything for me. 

I was like... What? 

She basically didn't do anything and did all she "politely" could to get rid of me and end the call. 

I mean... USCIS told me to call and make an appointment, it was not my idea lol

So I called again, 50 more minutes on the phone before being able to speak to someone, and then finally reached another agent. 

That lady was surprised as well an said it was the first time she saw something like that! USCIS usually requests to turn in the evidence via FAX, not in person. 

She had to dig in few minutes before being able to understand how to put me in the queue for an appointment. But she eventually managed and now I'm expecting a call from them in the next 72h to book the infopass appointment. 

But now I am wondering... Should I be worried? 

Why would they wanna see me in person for that? Maybe something is wrong with my case? 

Or maybe, on the other hand, I'd get interviewed on the spot if they think that the evidence is satisfactory? (I've been waiting for my interview for Green Card for over two years now) 

Did anyone else had a similar experience? 

Thank you! 

Yes, that's most of the time how i-485 is expedited. Regular immigration officers cannot approve i-485 expedite request. A supervisor needs to review it. I tried a few years ago myself, and I did go to infopass appointment and they denied it lol

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Senegal
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Family said:

I sent @Pens to do the same ( unrelated need to expedite an I-131 and  buried in the hole I-485)…and magically her LPR was approved a week later. 

@Family-So actually my case got even weirder. I went on with life thinking my I-485 was approved although the actual green card never came in the mail. I traveled overseas and when I came back to the U.S. (entry point was Seattle), CBP was awful. There was zero privacy. The agent was saying how do I have an I-551 stamp but my I-485 was still pending. He said I was never issued a green card. He went into detail about my I-360 and what was the basis of my filing because I'm not Amerasian or a widow. At one point I heard another agent say I committed fraud because I'm not a widow. It was terrible. And my daughter had to hear about the domestic violence during my marriage to her dad. Everyone was just sitting there in horror as this agent is yelling at the top of his lungs. To make a long story short my I-485 was actually never approved. The USCIS agent mistakenly gave me the I-551 stamp in my passport. After a few hours trying to figure out what was going on with my case, CBP in Seattle granted me parole into the US and crossed out the I-551 stamp. Coincidentally that day I received an email from my attorney stating Honolulu finally received my file and that the I-485 would be adjudicated within 60 days. But your advice definitely helped. So thank you again

48 minutes ago, Pens said:
1 hour ago, Family said:

@Family-So actually my case got even weirder. I went on with life thinking my I-485 was approved although the actual green card never came in the mail. I traveled overseas and when I came back to the U.S. (entry point was Seattle), CBP was awful. There was zero privacy. The agent was saying how do I have an I-551 stamp but my I-485 was still pending. He said I was never issued a green card. He went into detail about my I-360 and what was the basis of my filing because I'm not Amerasian or a widow. At one point I heard another agent say I committed fraud because I'm not a widow. It was terrible. And my daughter had to hear about the domestic violence during my marriage to her dad. Everyone was just sitting there in horror as this agent is yelling at the top of his lungs. To make a long story short my I-485 was actually never approved. The USCIS agent mistakenly gave me the I-551 stamp in my passport. After a few hours trying to figure out what was going on with my case, CBP in Seattle granted me parole into the US and crossed out the I-551 stamp. Coincidentally that day I received an email from my attorney stating Honolulu finally received my file and that the I-485 would be adjudicated within 60 days. But your advice definitely helped. So thank you again

They played “bad cop/ worse cop” and feigned ignorance that they could CLEARLY SEE ur I-360 was VAWA…thus making you engage in the abuse retell. 

Glad you kept your cool and sanity. ..cause you did have that I-551 stamp ( even issued by human error) and they HAD to let you in…and were not doing you a favor…

A few VAWA s traveling on AP get grilled at POE and most are told welcome home.

Edited by Family

Timeline
2 hours ago, thewaitingame said:

Yes, that's most of the time how i-485 is expedited. Regular immigration officers cannot approve i-485 expedite request. A supervisor needs to review it. I tried a few years ago myself, and I did go to infopass appointment and they denied it lol

They denied the expedite request or the i485? 

2 hours ago, Bieloanya said:

They denied the expedite request or the i485? 

yes they did. My reason to expedite was that I couldn't afford out of state fee to enroll in college without the green card. Their reason to deny me: "There's a choice here, you don't have to go to college".

You can claim financial loss for your job but I can see the same "reasoning" they might put on you "you don't have to take the job".. But no hurt to try :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Timeline
On 9/7/2022 at 11:21 PM, Family said:

@Bieloanya how did the InfoPass go? Did they approve or deny expedite for AOS

I think that they approved it! 

I say I think because I got my GC approved fiew days ago, so I'm not sure weather that was from my expedite request or just normal processing :)

About the InfoPass appointment, it was quite useless to be honest! 

The lady simply took my evidence and said that she'll pass it to the supervisor, but she couldn't do anything for me on the spot. 

She also was surprised that I wasn't asked to mail in the evidence. 

That's all! 

It took maybe 5m total 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.