2,958 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Cadtoverm said:

We’re you guys explicitly given ds5535 status? I was given an online form to fill out and asked to mail in my passport as soon as I filled it out. The online form asked questions similar to a ds5535 form, but no where was this ds5535 status explicitly told to me. Just a check mark for 221g and he just said he needed some more information about my travel and work history.

I am applying spousal IV, Canadian, good medical, good finances, already own home in the USA, marriage to American, transferring to an American employer.

I am seeing crazy wait times here, but the agent told me it should only be a few weeks. Any one have a similar experience as me? Am I in for a long haul?

Not to be the bearer of bad news but I think they just say 2 weeks so that you don't flip out in their offices lol. We were told 2 weeks and it has been 8 months :(

6 minutes ago, LYV said:

Not to be the bearer of bad news but I think they just say 2 weeks so that you don't flip out in their offices lol. We were told 2 weeks and it has been 8 months :(

How long have they held your passports for? Are you expected not leave Canada indefinitely?  

Sorry for being new to this thread, but I can’t make sense of this situation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, saied said:

I am probably going to get a lot of hate for this but the reason is pretty clear why we are all on AP. Everyone knows that this is an election year and there are certain forces behind the US government who are pulling some stuff to make changes. This is why you are seeing so many issues with the border(this has been happening for years so why focus on it now?).

I guess in a year we will all comeback to this  forum and realize maybe we were lucky to get AP. I hope not but time will tell for sure.

I don’t get the feeling lucky part. Can u elaborate? 

1 hour ago, Cadtoverm said:

How long have they held your passports for? Are you expected not leave Canada indefinitely?  

Sorry for being new to this thread, but I can’t make sense of this situation.

Simple Administrative processing cases like missing documents may take from 4-8 weeks or more for Montreal. If consulate is vetting you for SOA (Security Advisory Opinions)/DS-5535. It may take few months to more than year. You may look at following spreadsheet for Montreal to get an idea:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0

If you need to travel soon, i would suggest to keep your passport. If you send them now, then you can always request consulate to send your passport back.

Note: They need your passport for visa stamping only and it will not be done until you are cleared.

Edited by Leo The Great

Timeline

When I saw that I will be getting a refusal form the CO and read DS-5535, I burst into tears and said something along 'No, really?".  The CO told me that I should just fill out the form and they will be able to get back to my case.  I said that it takes a year after receiving one of those forms and she replied that it is not true and that some of them get resolved in weeks.  So, has anyone's been resolved in weeks?  

Timeline
7 hours ago, MAN2023 said:

While I was in AP, I was fortunate to secure an H1B through employer so I could still start my job on time. No issues obtaining it. 

Good to know.  So you entered US with H1B while you were in AP?  I've reached out to my employer today, explained my situation, and asked if our US office would be interested in sponsoring me.  

9 minutes ago, MRJ9987 said:

When I saw that I will be getting a refusal form the CO and read DS-5535, I burst into tears and said something along 'No, really?".  The CO told me that I should just fill out the form and they will be able to get back to my case.  I said that it takes a year after receiving one of those forms and she replied that it is not true and that some of them get resolved in weeks.  So, has anyone's been resolved in weeks?  

😢I’m sorry. We feel you’re pain, we’ve all been there. It’s devastating. I feel like they tell you what you want to hear. Either that or they don’t know. But you can check the excel sheet and see how it has gone for most people here. It’s possible there may be people that got through faster and just have not found this forum because they got through so fast. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, LYV said:

😢I’m sorry. We feel you’re pain, we’ve all been there. It’s devastating. I feel like they tell you what you want to hear. Either that or they don’t know. But you can check the excel sheet and see how it has gone for most people here. It’s possible there may be people that got through faster and just have not found this forum because they got through so fast. 

There is a reason they are separated from the general public by glass or I can see it not getting pretty with some people.  I tried to get as much information and ask as much questions but I got very little.  I am sure they are used to all kinds of reactions. 

I do wonder how representative of a sample are people on her.  Would be nice to know how many people never end up here because their cases get resolved in reasonable times.  

1 hour ago, MRJ9987 said:

There is a reason they are separated from the general public by glass or I can see it not getting pretty with some people.  I tried to get as much information and ask as much questions but I got very little.  I am sure they are used to all kinds of reactions. 

I do wonder how representative of a sample are people on her.  Would be nice to know how many people never end up here because their cases get resolved in reasonable times.  

I feel we’re pretty representative unfortunately. At least for Montreal. Multiple attorneys have told me that extended waits are the norm and not the exception. I’d hazard an educated guess that most of the members in this thread began posting (or lurking) shortly after receiving the DS5535 - as you have. There’s no evidence to the contrary (e.g. that we’re some special sub-group that’s stuck in a black hole while everyone else clears in a few weeks).

It’s nonsensical, but it is what it is. You’ll get through it, but I’d stay flexible with your plans (I learned this the hard way).

Edited by Daft_Cat

Timeline
2 hours ago, Daft_Cat said:

I feel we’re pretty representative unfortunately. At least for Montreal. Multiple attorneys have told me that extended waits are the norm and not the exception. I’d hazard an educated guess that most of the members in this thread began posting (or lurking) shortly after receiving the DS5535 - as you have. There’s no evidence to the contrary (e.g. that we’re some special sub-group that’s stuck in a black hole while everyone else clears in a few weeks).

It’s nonsensical, but it is what it is. You’ll get through it, but I’d stay flexible with your plans (I learned this the hard way).

Aw well. That is a bummer. 

I always knew I was going to get DS-5535. I was worried about the fact that I have two passports. I always had a feeling so I started researching this topic in advance but learning about it was sending my anxiety into an overdrive so I forbade myself from exploring it.

Until now, when I am actually in this position, when I need to learn as much as can. Learning about this and how people are being treated is making me absolutely miserable.  I cannot believe that a country can mistreat their own citizens so badly. 

Timeline
32 minutes ago, MRJ9987 said:

Aw well. That is a bummer. 

I always knew I was going to get DS-5535. I was worried about the fact that I have two passports. I always had a feeling so I started researching this topic in advance but learning about it was sending my anxiety into an overdrive so I forbade myself from exploring it.

Until now, when I am actually in this position, when I need to learn as much as can. Learning about this and how people are being treated is making me absolutely miserable.  I cannot believe that a country can mistreat their own citizens so badly. 

Hang in there! If it’s a true ds5535 case then the wait time will be a black hole unfortunately. Start exploring alternative visa options asap. Can try local congress/ Senate representatives, but none of them have been helpful for pretty everyone here that tried (don’t listen to them if they say they’ll help move things along because it’s all a political tactic). 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Holy Jesus, were approaching PART 3 of this Forum at an Alarming rate.

I first saw Part 1 before I sent my petition into USCIS

And watched Part 2 for the first time when I got my 221(G)/DS-5535 8 months ago..

The fact that this is real feels shocking to my core (as im sure alot of you feel)

💔

Timeline
19 hours ago, Cadtoverm said:

We’re you guys explicitly given ds5535 status? I was given an online form to fill out and asked to mail in my passport as soon as I filled it out. The online form asked questions similar to a ds5535 form, but no where was this ds5535 status explicitly told to me. Just a check mark for 221g and he just said he needed some more information about my travel and work history.

I am applying spousal IV, Canadian, good medical, good finances, already own home in the USA, marriage to American, transferring to an American employer.

I am seeing crazy wait times here, but the agent told me it should only be a few weeks. Any one have a similar experience as me? Am I in for a long haul?

I'm in the same boat here. I was also given an online form to fill out and instructed to mail in my passport as soon as I completed it.

I've been waiting for 4 weeks since the consulate received my passport... 

18 hours ago, Cadtoverm said:

I was told it’ll take 4-6 weeks. It’s going to be 10 months in a few days. I was hopeful we’d get second medical invites out soon but it doesn’t look like that’s coming anytime as Feb ppl haven’t mentioned anything. Is this going to really be a two year process? If you switch the last digit of the case number on CEAC it tells you the status of the cases before/after you. Seems like on my particular interview day alone, 6 people got put in APs. Pretty ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, haruharu said:

I was told it’ll take 4-6 weeks. It’s going to be 10 months in a few days. I was hopeful we’d get second medical invites out soon but it doesn’t look like that’s coming anytime as Feb ppl haven’t mentioned anything. Is this going to really be a two year process? If you switch the last digit of the case number on CEAC it tells you the status of the cases before/after you. Seems like on my particular interview day alone, 6 people got put in APs. Pretty ridiculous. 

Did they ask for your passport when they have you the 221g? 

I wondering if taking my passport was a good sign, or if it was just a mistake by the CO. 

Does your status explicitly say AP? Did you get any updates to indicate you were getting more vetting?

That is terrible that they told you a few weeks and it has been 10 months. 

Has anyone tried going to the consulate in person to get more information? I live in Montréal, wondering if that is a way of getting additional information.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.