2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How many of us have filed their application via attorney? I'd always wonder if have legal representation would prevent DS5535. For those who were represented, what strategies did the lawyers use to expedite the process, if any?

Yes, I think DS5535 is random, but I am also convinced that being from the "special" countries listed will increase the chance of you being selected for it. The CO's expression literally changed when he asked my country of origin and my age when I immigrated to Canada (<10yo). I'll be curious to know data on 221g/DS5535 in relation to country of changeability. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, MRJ9987 said:

I have a question - maybe there is a better place to ask this?  What if i got the US branch of my company to sponsor me under L1?  Would that help? or would that visa also get denied because of pending DS-5535?  

My understanding is that each visa application is separate and that being refused under 221g in one shouldn't impact the decision for the other. You can give it a try and see if your employer is willing to fork out the $$ for it. Does your company have a legal entity that can advise on this as well? Worth giving it a try. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, MRJ9987 said:

Thanks, downloading telegram now!

Question in general - what is everyone's experience to travelling to US while in AP?  

Just make sure you have a return date and flight handy when they ask you. A trick - can always purchase ticket same day and many companies (i.e. AC) offer 24h free cancelation. Ultimately, they want to make sure that you wouldn't enter the country and then stay through AOS

3 hours ago, MRJ9987 said:

Thanks, downloading telegram now!

Question in general - what is everyone's experience to travelling to US while in AP?  

No issue entering on B1/B2.

No problem traveling to the US on work visas as well. I have heard of individuals enter on TN, L-1, H1-B, O-1 while on AP.

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

Timeline
3 hours ago, APRIL2023 said:

My understanding is that each visa application is separate and that being refused under 221g in one shouldn't impact the decision for the other. You can give it a try and see if your employer is willing to fork out the $$ for it. Does your company have a legal entity that can advise on this as well? Worth giving it a try. 

Thanks for the insight. This is something I need to discuss with my company, see what they are willing to do. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, APRIL2023 said:

Just make sure you have a return date and flight handy when they ask you. A trick - can always purchase ticket same day and many companies (i.e. AC) offer 24h free cancelation. Ultimately, they want to make sure that you wouldn't enter the country and then stay through AOS

I would be driving to the us. I am used to carrying evidence to prove I will return if need be. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, APRIL2023 said:

How many of us have filed their application via attorney? I'd always wonder if have legal representation would prevent DS5535. For those who were represented, what strategies did the lawyers use to expedite the process, if any?

Yes, I think DS5535 is random, but I am also convinced that being from the "special" countries listed will increase the chance of you being selected for it. The CO's expression literally changed when he asked my country of origin and my age when I immigrated to Canada (<10yo). I'll be curious to know data on 221g/DS5535 in relation to country of changeability. 

We hired a firm in Toronto to take care of our application. They were actually pretty incompetent and made several mistakes throughout the process. They probably added 9 to 12 months to the overall process and then we get hit with AP / DS-5535. 

Timeline

Just wondering if the following response from the consulate, which is an email thread where my husband sent a strongly worded request on a timeline for where in the que my case is, means they're doing more than just confirming my medical results. 

As a background, I interviewed on December 18th 2023 and the medical results got there the day after on December 19th(from TELUS in Montreal). The CO kept my passport. They've been responding with the usual "your case is pending review from a CO", but this one was a bit different. I've only gotten a 221g showing that my medical results were missing.

Thank you for your inquiry.

While we cannot predict when the processing of your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the Department of State are aware of your concerns and will contact you as soon as the processing is complete.

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S.  Nonetheless, the Consulate in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive consular review and administrative processing. 

Thank you for your patience and cooperation

3 minutes ago, Blue473 said:

Just wondering if the following response from the consulate, which is an email thread where my husband sent a strongly worded request on a timeline for where in the que my case is, means they're doing more than just confirming my medical results. 

As a background, I interviewed on December 18th 2023 and the medical results got there the day after on December 19th(from TELUS in Montreal). The CO kept my passport. They've been responding with the usual "your case is pending review from a CO", but this one was a bit different. I've only gotten a 221g showing that my medical results were missing.

Thank you for your inquiry.

While we cannot predict when the processing of your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the Department of State are aware of your concerns and will contact you as soon as the processing is complete.

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S.  Nonetheless, the Consulate in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive consular review and administrative processing. 

Thank you for your patience and cooperation

Did they ask for CV or DS-5535? I too had an issue with my medical report being delayed, and my 221g included only my medical.

But subsequently I received an email telling me that my case was placed in AP, and to send them my CV.

10 hours ago, APRIL2023 said:

I filed through an attorney, still got the DS5535. 

I’m about as “ancestrally Canadian” as you can get without being full on indigenous. My family has been here for at least a century if not longer. Before that it’s all English and Scottish.

My wife was born in Russia but immigrated to the states when she was less than a year old (around the end of the Cold War). She isn’t a citizen of the Russia that exists today (nor has she ever visited) and both her parents have been US citizens for decades. I guess that could have triggered something, but it feels like a stretch.

7 minutes ago, Daft_Cat said:

I filed through an attorney, still got the DS5535. 

I’m about as “ancestrally Canadian” as you can get without being full on indigenous. My family has been here for at least a century if not longer. Before that it’s all English and Scottish.

My wife was born in Russia but immigrated to the states when she was less than a year old (around the end of the Cold War). She isn’t a citizen of the Russia that exists today (nor has she ever visited) and both her parents have been US citizens for decades. I guess that could have triggered something, but it feels like a stretch.

Seems like the dual citizenship theory is gaining support.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.