2,958 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ak47 said:

Any Jan 2023 folks getting movements??

As per list Jan 2023 are all done. Feb should hopefully hear soon.

2 minutes ago, MRJ9987 said:

Well that sucks.  Would’ve gotten rid of my Serbian passport had I know it was going to cause me problems. 

Well if you were born there, they would still do it.

35 minutes ago, ShawnK said:

It is , but.it is much more likely if you are from Iran or Somalia vs say Iceland or Norway. Iranians will almost always get it.

My anecdote,  on the day of my interview, a few of us IRs ,there.. the only two who walked away all clear were the old stock Canadian folks. They 100% profile, all lawyers I have consulted with told me this.

Disagree,

My family and my husband’s family are English, German, French. My mom is American as well as several other family members. The consulate person interviewing told us it was random. if a baby gets it and no other family members then you know it’s something else going on and not based on anything. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
39 minutes ago, ShawnK said:

As per list Jan 2023 are all done. Feb should hopefully hear soon.

Well if you were born there, they would still do it.

But country of birth sometimes absolutely means nothing and is not representative of the applicant nor of their culture. Aw well. 

35 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

It is not the passport - It is your country of birth (Chargeability). You may verify it from NVC account at the top right

Yes, I do recall seeing that field with my country of birth. 

Timeline

Early Feb interview...still have not heard anything whatsoever. No update since November 2023. Basically you can expect at least a year (and likely more) of waiting if you've been given DS-5535.

In terms of ancestry, I'm strictly Canadian and Scottish roots so really anyone can have this done to them. Perhaps certain backgrounds have a higher likelihood, but seems like they just like needlessly delaying people for no valid reason whatsoever.

30 minutes ago, LYV said:

Disagree,

My family and my husband’s family are English, German, French. My mom is American as well as several other family members. The consulate person interviewing told us it was random. if a baby gets it and no other family members then you know it’s something else going on and not based on anything. 

Same here. Canada born and bred. No suspicious travel. I lived in the States a decade ago on a student visa, but otherwise my history is unremarkable. Was also told it was random.

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. There's no doubt that they're handing out DS-5535s at random as part of a delay tactic, but having a profile that's aligned to the form's original intent (additional scrutiny for those with ties to specific countries / regions) probably doesn't help. 

42 minutes ago, LYV said:

Disagree,

Anyone can get it , much higher risk if tied to the 7 countries that were part of travel ban or list of "26".

People from Iran almost always will get it.

Every lawyer I spoke to said they profile based on ancestory/place of birth/religion etc..Goldstein, Hacking,PIC all confirmed this.

On our tracker,  where is the baby? I don't think there is any baby on that tracker. Even they aren't silly enough to keep a baby in Ds5535 for a year.

Edited by ShawnK

5 minutes ago, ShawnK said:

Anyone can get it , much higher risk if tied to the 7 countries that were part of travel ban or list of "26".

People from Iran almost always will get it.

Every lawyer I spoke to said they profile based on ancestory/place of birth/religion etc..Goldstein, Hacking,PIC all confirmed this.

On our tracker,  where is the baby? I don't think there is any baby on that tracker. Even they aren't silly enough to keep a baby in Ds5535 for a year.

If I recall correctly the story about the baby was second hand information. Probably a poster that heard about it anecdotally from an attorney or through their own network. My memory is hazy, but it must've been at least 6 months ago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Daft_Cat said:

If I recall correctly the story about the baby was second hand information. Probably a poster that heard about it anecdotally from an attorney or through their own network. My memory is hazy, but it must've been at least 6 months ago.

No it was one of the members here during the first tracking sheet. I wish I could remember the member.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 hour ago, Daft_Cat said:

What did you decide to do? Fighting back or waiting it out, since in theory, you should be close. 

3 minutes ago, ShawnK said:

What did you decide to do? Fighting back or waiting it out, since in theory, you should be close. 

I decided to fight the motion to dismiss, though I’m pretty confident my number will come up before the process gets that far.

I just felt it was prudent to keep the legal door open, especially since the judge in my case is typically pretty friendly to the cause. This is an election year and the border has been in the news for the wrong reasons - theoretically things could get worse and it seemed safer to push on until the request for my passport is in my inbox.

1 hour ago, MRJ9987 said:

Just submitted my DS-5535 form. Less than half an hour of work for information they mostly had on file. 

I heard there is a spreadsheet you guys are keep track of DS-5535 information?  How do I update it with my information.  

Just enter the information following other entries

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0

1 hour ago, Daft_Cat said:

I decided to fight the motion to dismiss, though I’m pretty confident my number will come up before the process gets that far.

I just felt it was prudent to keep the legal door open, especially since the judge in my case is typically pretty friendly to the cause. This is an election year and the border has been in the news for the wrong reasons - theoretically things could get worse and it seemed safer to push on until the request for my passport is in my inbox.

Smart move. About 1.5 months ahead of you and truly hoping you hear something soon.

I think if one hears nothing after 12/13 months , WOM may be the way to go, the only way to potentially avoid an endless hole.

Biff Tanen might be coming back, so it would be a good idea to get this sorted before that. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

Thanks, Done!  

Where do I see updates?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.