2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/9/2023 at 5:04 AM, throwitaway said:

I don’t believe it’s common.

Did your citizen spouse attend the first interview with you? 

No it was only my spouse and my baby(4months). They never asked her much questions in the first interview and also we move our case from Nigeria to Canada because she relocated to be closer to me in the US. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/9/2023 at 2:11 PM, ajxl888 said:

Any DS-5535 approvals lately?

My fiance just had his new medical done (he was in the US for a while after we got the request for new medical and passport). We are hoping the consulate will process everything quickly!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, sjy said:

Hi, We (family of 4) had our interview 3 weeks back. Three of us received our passports with immigrant visas except for our 2 year old. Though we submitted her COVID 2nd dose vaccine proof 10 days prior to the interview date, medicals were not sent in time as the doctor went on vacation until last week, . I told the first officer who went through all originals, when she asked for the reason for delayed medicals.  We got email from Telus health that her medicals were sent last week. Her status is still refused, dates got updated a day before her medicals were sent and yesterday. I am not sure what to expect as we were not given any forms, visa officer didn't mention anything like 221g or admin processing. Nothing in mail or email for her, so I guess it's just a waiting game. Would reaching out to consulate help? I do have the officer's email as he reached out to me using email after the interview to come in and submit fingerprints one more time. I am a bit hesitant to email as it's only 1 week since her medicals were submitted. Would it be rude to email the officer and follow up on this? Any advice?

Montreal does not move fast but with the medical just recently making it to them. I would email if you don't hear back by the end of the week. All visas go though 221G it's just some get out faster. With your case it is the medical that was the hold up. Completely normal, fingers crossed they don't drag it out for 6 weeks. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
3 hours ago, Can2Florida said:

I'm so glad I found this thread.

My mom applied for IR5 (she's a PR in Canada, UK Citizen) and then got an interview last month (April 13th)
At the time, the officer gave a verbal approval, no paperwork, and kept her passport. He mentioned that he'd run fingerprints, and if there was any issues he'd email shortly thereafter, then said to expect passport back in 2-3 weeks.

Tomorrow we will be going on 4 weeks, and we keep seeing the status update in CEAC, but staying in "Refusal" 

It updated the day after her interview, then we saw it update on May 3rd, which aligned when we discovered it was still in "Refusal" then it updated again on May 9th but still in "Refusal" but this aligns with our Congressman's office reaching out for an update and getting the standard canned response.

We're really not sure why we are in AP given the verbal approval. Any issues that could have caused a problem (previous 10 year ban that elapsed 2 years ago and was mentioned by the office as not being a problem) have been explained by the officer at the interview as not an issue.

Just trying to understand when we'll get the visa/passport back...she made plans (I know, I know, don't make plans) to drive down with a friend but they are just hanging out in Canada, while I stew here in Florida.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

We sent an email to montreal-acs@state.gov, and she sent an email to montreal-dv-iv@state.gov as well but neither of us have gotten a response.

All sounds pretty normal. Ap is a catch all phrase they use for everything. They could be waiting on something to get back from the UK or anything at all.  THat 10 ban is probably what they are double checking on. Hopefully the wait is not to long. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline
On 5/8/2023 at 1:49 PM, Aiel said:

Good Afternoon, Please should I be worried about a *follow up interview*?? I initially interviewed on the 20 of January this year and I just got a follow up interview. 

Sometimes it can be as simple as the fingerprints didn't take. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

11 hours ago, emergence said:

My fiance just had his new medical done (he was in the US for a while after we got the request for new medical and passport). We are hoping the consulate will process everything quickly!

That's exciting!  You'll have to keep us updated.  How long has the wait been for you since the interview/DS-5535?

After contemplating for weeks, I reached out to two law firms for their opinion on filing a WoM.

Here's my experience:

Hacking: Great youtube videos but terrible service. I'm sure he's an excellent lawyer and his business probably quintupled in the last few months but they have been unable to keep up (horrible staff with virtually zero regard for the customer). My interpretation of his videos is: file WoM at the earliest. I sort of agree. Given my experience with them, even if I do decide to file, I will go with someone else.

PIC: Super fast responses but a bit too conservative, in my opinion. They discouraged me from traveling to the US, even on a short personal visit, until the AP is sorted out. I don't agree with that. If I am able to sell a kidney, I will hire them. They highlighted that my case isn't old enough yet (filed in 2019 and AP'd end of March '23) so I should wait a minimum of 90 days before we can file. I have been unable to confirm the 90-day rule and I don't think it exists. They kind of said that, when presented to a judge, the case should show that you are in a lot of pain/trouble. And any level of anxiety/nervousness/lack of any clarity doesn't constitute "pain".

Basically, we are exactly where we started from and the waiting goes on, and on, and on, and on....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, ajxl888 said:

That's exciting!  You'll have to keep us updated.  How long has the wait been for you since the interview/DS-5535?

Our interview was September 14th 2022 and we got DS-5535 the next day. We got the email to send the passport and new medical March 30th, but my fiancé was in the US until mid-April and couldn’t get a medical slot until the beginning of May, so he just got everything sent in today. Hoping everything will be quick!

Hello everyone!

I have been following this thread for the last 6 months. It has really helped my fiancée and I in our K-1 visa process. Here is our experience:

Interview at Montreal on 11/3/22. Visa refused and passport kept at the consulate. We were told to submit the correct police certificate and to expect DS-5535 by email. It was emailed to my fiancée in a few hours. We completed both the same day. We tracked the police certificate that was mailed to them and they received it in mid December. The status kept updating online every few days until the end of December. Then, there were no updates for almost 3 months. Contacted PIC and Goldstein around January/February after reading about them here. We liked PIC better and went with them. WOM filed on 3/10/23. We saw a date update around 3/20/23. Then around 3 weeks went by without any activity. The date updated around 3-5 times in mid April. Received an email from the Consulate on 4/25/23 to do another medical. Medical was done on 5/1/23 and sent to the Consulate on 5/4/23. Saw another date update on 5/5/23 but still said 'refused'. After talking to the lawyer on 5/10/23, she/lawyer sent an email to the consulate saying the medical was completed and sent to them. The status changed shortly after this to 'application received'. Today (5/11/23) the status changed to 'approved' and says your visa is in final processing and to contact them if not received in 10 working days.

We went into the WOM process with a lot of uncertainty as if it would be a waste of money but glad we did it. We are super excited and can't wait to get the visa in hand. Thanks to all who shared their experiences before. It was very encouraging and kept us going. I wish everyone the best!

Does anyone know if the newborn child (4-month old) needs to appear for an interview at Montreal? Me and my wife had interview in Montreal in September when she was 7 months pregnant. But like other in this group, we were put on DS-5535. We filed for WOM in Jan, and received request for second medical last month and Montreal added our newborn to the application but wants to interview the child. 

I have sent an email to Montreal consulate but have not received a response yet. Does anyone know if I need to take my child to the interview in Montreal or can one of the parents be available in Montreal on her behalf for the interview? It will be tough to travel with a 4 month old for a one hour interview, if it's not required. 

2 hours ago, can_do said:

After contemplating for weeks, I reached out to two law firms for their opinion on filing a WoM.

Here's my experience:

Hacking: Great youtube videos but terrible service. I'm sure he's an excellent lawyer and his business probably quintupled in the last few months but they have been unable to keep up (horrible staff with virtually zero regard for the customer). My interpretation of his videos is: file WoM at the earliest. I sort of agree. Given my experience with them, even if I do decide to file, I will go with someone else.

PIC: Super fast responses but a bit too conservative, in my opinion. They discouraged me from traveling to the US, even on a short personal visit, until the AP is sorted out. I don't agree with that. If I am able to sell a kidney, I will hire them. They highlighted that my case isn't old enough yet (filed in 2019 and AP'd end of March '23) so I should wait a minimum of 90 days before we can file. I have been unable to confirm the 90-day rule and I don't think it exists. They kind of said that, when presented to a judge, the case should show that you are in a lot of pain/trouble. And any level of anxiety/nervousness/lack of any clarity doesn't constitute "pain".

Basically, we are exactly where we started from and the waiting goes on, and on, and on, and on....

I believe you can file the WOM whenever you want but they may ask for extensions if filed too early?...

2 hours ago, jayjay30 said:

Hello everyone!

I have been following this thread for the last 6 months. It has really helped my fiancée and I in our K-1 visa process. Here is our experience:

Interview at Montreal on 11/3/22. Visa refused and passport kept at the consulate. We were told to submit the correct police certificate and to expect DS-5535 by email. It was emailed to my fiancée in a few hours. We completed both the same day. We tracked the police certificate that was mailed to them and they received it in mid November. The status kept updating online every few days until the end of December. Then, there were no updates for almost 3 months. Contacted PIC and Goldstein around January/February after reading about them here. We liked PIC better and went with them. WOM filed on 3/10/23. We saw a date update around 3/20/23. Then around 3 weeks went by without any activity. The date updated around 3-5 times in mid April. Received an email from the Consulate on 4/25/23 to do another medical. Medical was done on 5/1/23 and sent to the Consulate on 5/4/23. Saw another date update on 5/5/23 but still said 'refused'. After talking to the lawyer on 5/10/23, she/lawyer sent an email to the consulate saying the medical was completed and sent to them. The status changed shortly after this to 'application received'. Today (5/11/23) the status changed to 'approved' and says your visa is in final processing and to contact them if not received in 10 working days.

We went into the WOM process with a lot of uncertainty as if it would be a waste of money but glad we did it. We are super excited and can't wait to get the visa in hand. Thanks to all who shared their experiences before. It was very encouraging and kept us going. I wish everyone the best!

On 5/10/2023 at 11:04 PM, Ontarkie said:

Montreal does not move fast but with the medical just recently making it to them. I would email if you don't hear back by the end of the week. All visas go though 221G it's just some get out faster. With your case it is the medical that was the hold up. Completely normal, fingers crossed they don't drag it out for 6 weeks. 

Thank you! This morning status changed to Issued (was refused yesterday). I guess we are good to go now.

19 hours ago, emergence said:

Our interview was September 14th 2022 and we got DS-5535 the next day. We got the email to send the passport and new medical March 30th, but my fiancé was in the US until mid-April and couldn’t get a medical slot until the beginning of May, so he just got everything sent in today. Hoping everything will be quick!

Hi there, I'm in a similar situation. My interview was on 12th Sept 2022 and I received request for new medical on April 6th. It's completed on May 2nd and sent to embassy today May 12th. Please keep me posted about any updates. I will also Pm you. Good wishes for everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.