2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, SalishSea said:

Applicants for ANY US visa may be flagged for AP.   Getting an interim visa while in AP doesn’t eliminate or correct the reason for the extra vetting.

Will the interim visa be automatically placed on AP as well? 

20 minutes ago, APRIL2023 said:

That’s what I mean.   If you’re in AP and pursue another type of visa while in AP, it does not make the issue behind the AP go away.

Timeline

Anyone try emailing the consulate and mentioning you intend to file a WOM? Seems like such a shitty way to start a life in a country by basically having to file legal proceedings against them, but as others have mentioned it seems like the only way to actually get someone to do something. 

9 hours ago, Canucklehead said:

Anyone try emailing the consulate and mentioning you intend to file a WOM? Seems like such a shitty way to start a life in a country by basically having to file legal proceedings against them, but as others have mentioned it seems like the only way to actually get someone to do something. 

I did, this was their response. We will be filing on July 05, 2023 when we reach 90 days. My lawyer is pretty conservative and prefer to wait 90 days instead of 60 days and I do agree with him. It's really sad that I have to spend this amount of money to force immigration to make a decision.... 

On 6/7/2023 at 11:14 AM, Pearljamm said:

I got a response back from Montreal Consulate after letting them know my intention to file writ of Mandamus 

"Good Morning, Thank you for this follow-up. Your case has been updated to note this.

We are constantly working to find mechanisms to improve our screening processes and to support legitimate travel and immigration to the United States while protecting U.S. citizens. The duration of administrative processing will vary based on the individual circumstances of each case. The Department of State is continuously working to refine our visa application, assessment, and security screening procedures. We continue to aim to reduce the time required for certain types of administrative processing. As soon as we are able to do so, the Visa Unit will advise you of the next steps to complete processing the case.

We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your inquiry. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. Regards,"

At least it's different than the usual generic email 

On 6/7/2023 at 1:26 PM, Pearljamm said:

Timeline
On 6/9/2023 at 8:36 PM, APRIL2023 said:

most likely. Because it is the individual that is flagged to be placed in AP for extreme vetting not the type of visa. 

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

Timeline
4 hours ago, Pearljamm said:

I did, this was their response. We will be filing on July 05, 2023 when we reach 90 days. My lawyer is pretty conservative and prefer to wait 90 days instead of 60 days and I do agree with him. It's really sad that I have to spend this amount of money to force immigration to make a decision.... 

We were told to wait at least 6 months tbh. In a way I am glad we did because about three days after we had our first consultation for the WOM, we started noticing the last updated date changing frequently on the CEAC. We then asked our lawyer to hold off because it seemed like we would clear AP without filing a WOM - which we did. And the lawyer refunded about 70% of the money we had paid them because the WOM was never filed or worked upon. Since then,  I've noticed a few others on here clear AP without filing a WOM. 

I've been suggesting over and over on here to hold off on filing a WOM until at least 6 months. It is hard to wait I know, believe me it was tough for us too because we met each other very late in life and are a slightly older couple- we have been eager to begin our lives. However, if waiting a few months ends up saving thousands of dollars it may be worth it depending on your circumstances (or it may not be, everyone has to weigh their opportunity costs and decide what is best for their circumstances). 

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

15 hours ago, Canucklehead said:

They don’t care. 

The only way they move is if a DOS attorney defending them in court (after a lawsuit has been filed) contacts them personally to see what can be done. 

In some stats half of all applicants at MTL go into extreme vetting, similar to places like Baghdad, which is absolutely insane. The US already has access to information about Canadians. 

Edited by throwitaway

47 minutes ago, Nbc16 said:

Hi everyone,

still awaiting the clearance but went to visit my fiancé in the US and was only asked where i was travelling to… How are we being extreme vetted for security for MONTHS but allowed to visit without any issues? 
Nonesense

I agree!!  My lawyer was telling me that US-Canada already share information. I feel like the montreal consulate is really bad.. 

I don't mind waiting but I am having my first born this fall and I need to be with the wife and that left me with no choice but to file WOM early July. it'll be 90 days since the interview. 

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Nbc16 said:

Hi everyone,

still awaiting the clearance but went to visit my fiancé in the US and was only asked where i was travelling to… How are we being extreme vetted for security for MONTHS but allowed to visit without any issues? 
Nonesense

Yes a lot of us who were placed in this nightmare have posed the very same question earlier. If Canadians are such a threat I fail to understand why the two countries have an open border at all.

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

2 minutes ago, Pearljamm said:

I agree!!  My lawyer was telling me that US-Canada already share information. I feel like the montreal consulate is really bad.. 

I don't mind waiting but I am having my first born this fall and I need to be with the wife and that left me with no choice but to file WOM early July. it'll be 90 days since the interview. 

I wish i did my interview in vancouver instead… You are doing the right thing i’m already planning to file on the 90day mark if no response by then… Which lawyer are you filing with? I spoke with goldstein and it seems like WOM is what he’s known for.

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Nbc16 said:

I wish i did my interview in vancouver instead… You are doing the right thing i’m already planning to file on the 90day mark if no response by then… Which lawyer are you filing with? I spoke with goldstein and it seems like WOM is what he’s known for.

I think Montreal is the only consulte for immigrant visa. Does Vancouver process this as well?

Just now, APRIL2023 said:

I think Montreal is the only consulte for immigrant visa. Does Vancouver process this as well?

I think i remember our lawyer saying they did, but i could be remembering wrong.. i live in Montreal so it only made sense to go to montreal but i wish i had known about this headache before applying.. We have a pretty legit application yet it’s been almost 2 years since we applied for this K1 visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.