2,958 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

- I haven’t seen < 3 months at MTL. 

- Many, including myself. 

Both Farzady and justanamericangrl received their response in <4 months but I guess this is because of their WoM

Edited by SGtoMurica

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

40 minutes ago, SGtoMurica said:

Both Farzady and justanamericangrl received their response in <4 months but I guess this is because of their WoM

Yeah, I haven’t seen cases at MTL clear in that time frame organically, at least not for a few years now. I think in the original thread there were maybe a couple. At other embassies DS-5535 can clear quickly, in Pakistan some clear in a month. 

2 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

Yeah, I haven’t seen cases at MTL clear in that time frame organically, at least not for a few years now. I think in the original thread there were maybe a couple. At other embassies DS-5535 can clear quickly, in Pakistan some clear in a month. 

I seem to have a different understanding based on what the consulate officer told me. He said that all APs of the same category go to the same place, regardless of Embassy location. There are of course multiple different reasons for AP, including as simple as a missing document or as serious as background check due to national security risk. If it is the latter, then all of those go through the same lineup. 

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

5 minutes ago, SGtoMurica said:

I seem to have a different understanding based on what the consulate officer told me. He said that all APs of the same category go to the same place, regardless of Embassy location. There are of course multiple different reasons for AP, including as simple as a missing document or as serious as background check due to national security risk. If it is the latter, then all of those go through the same lineup. 

Even if it were true that all AP of the same type go to the same place, cases do not clear first in, first out.

There is also an assumption there that once AP is cleared externally that the embassy immediately acts on the clearance. MTL sits on clearances and issues visas in batches for DV, I can’t imagine it would be different for other visas that don’t even have a sunset clause. 

Edited by throwitaway

On 6/18/2023 at 6:18 PM, throwitaway said:

Even if it were true that all AP of the same type go to the same place, cases do not clear first in, first out.

There is also an assumption there that once AP is cleared externally that the embassy immediately acts on the clearance. MTL sits on clearances and issues visas in batches for DV, I can’t imagine it would be different for other visas that don’t even have a sunset clause. 

Anyone know or have a guess how often they issue the visas in batches? The consulate received my husbands passport on the 12th and we had an update on the 14th (assuming that’s when someone actually got ahold of it) but crickets since then.  

1 hour ago, justanamericangrl said:

Anyone know or have a guess how often they issue the visas in batches? The consulate received my husbands passport on the 12th and we had an update on the 14th (assuming that’s when someone actually got ahold of it) but crickets since then.  

I'm in the same situation. The consulate has my passport since May-31. Case updated on Jun-2 then update Jun-7. Been almost 2 weeks and no update. Just watching paint dry. Please let me know if you hear anything.

2 hours ago, WatchingPaintDry said:

I'm in the same situation. The consulate has my passport since May-31. Case updated on Jun-2 then update Jun-7. Been almost 2 weeks and no update. Just watching paint dry. Please let me know if you hear anything.

Wow. That’s ridiculous. I will let you know and please let me know as well! Here’s to hoping we both hear something soon!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anyone here had their Canadian crimal record check (valid two years) expire while waiting on the consulate? I'm curious if it's guaranteed that I'll be asked for an updated one. What if I sue, get asked for medical before it expires, but it expires before my visa is issued?

9 minutes ago, P3P said:

Has anyone here had their Canadian crimal record check (valid two years) expire while waiting on the consulate? I'm curious if it's guaranteed that I'll be asked for an updated one. What if I sue, get asked for medical before it expires, but it expires before my visa is issued?

My Medical & Canadian Criminal record check both expired while stuck in AP. I was asked to submit a new Medical and Canadian Criminal record check with my passport and 2 recent passport photos when the consulate was ready to finalize processing.

You'll be asked to submit new ones when they are getting close to completing the AP process.

Just now, justanamericangrl said:

Just wanted to update my husbands status changed to issued today! Says passport should be returned within 10 business days. Hope you get some good news soon! Can’t be much longer!

Congratulations! Wonderful news! Hope your husband get his passport soon. Mine still says Refused but hope it changes soon!

3 hours ago, justanamericangrl said:

Just wanted to update my husbands status changed to issued today! Says passport should be returned within 10 business days. Hope you get some good news soon! Can’t be much longer!

edit to add I’ll update again soon with our whole timeline in case anyone is interested. 

Congratulations!!!! How long did it take you after you filed WOM? 

Question: can a WOM be filed for not getting an interview call even after being DQ’d for more than year? While Montreal has been prioritizing IR1/CR1 and are processing applications with DQ date as of March 2023, employment based applicants are still as of January 2021 even when these applicants are current as per the visa bulletin. During COVID there was direction to prioritize family reunification however that proclamation was taken back as of Nov 2021. Is there a case here or we just continue to wait?

9 hours ago, TheMaverick said:

Question: can a WOM be filed for not getting an interview call even after being DQ’d for more than year? While Montreal has been prioritizing IR1/CR1 and are processing applications with DQ date as of March 2023, employment based applicants are still as of January 2021 even when these applicants are current as per the visa bulletin. During COVID there was direction to prioritize family reunification however that proclamation was taken back as of Nov 2021. Is there a case here or we just continue to wait?

I’ve seen a few WoM filed attempting to compel interview, but they are usually unsuccessful as consular posts have full discretion to manage their resources as they see fit.

You’re better off taking that money you would have spent and moving (as in a genuine relocation) to a different country so that you can interview at the US post in that jurisdiction. Otherwise, not much you can do but wait. 

Edited by throwitaway

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.