2,958 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, justanamericangrl said:

Anyone have a timeline on how long it takes to get your passport back from consulate?

we filed a WOM and finally got the email asking for my husbands passport (he sent it in immediately) but his medical expires in a few days and we’re worried it’s going to really delay things. Do you guys think it’s likely they will request a new one?

“Any further processing of this immigrant visa case has been suspended until we receive the requested passport. Once submitted, the file will be reviewed, and the consular officer will provide further information on the status of the case.” - the wording in the email.

thanks!

This process has been so expensive. WoM + another medical. I wonder if anyone has done a small claims to retrieve some of these costs.

Why can't they just extend the medical to 2 years (like i-485 AOS applications they are valid for 2 years)?

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

1 hour ago, SGtoMurica said:

This process has been so expensive. WoM + another medical. I wonder if anyone has done a small claims to retrieve some of these costs.

Why can't they just extend the medical to 2 years (like i-485 AOS applications they are valid for 2 years)?

It’s ridiculous. We were actually mistaken though. His medical expires in a month but his police check expired in May!

They didn’t ask for it in the email? Wonder if they will

1 hour ago, justanamericangrl said:

It’s ridiculous. We were actually mistaken though. His medical expires in a month but his police check expired in May!

They didn’t ask for it in the email? Wonder if they will

Get a new PCC, you don’t have to wait for them for that one. Interestingly, DOS considers PCC good for two years (regardless of actual expiry) but if I’m remembering correctly MTL sometimes still asks for a fresh one anyway, at least that’s what I’ve seen in the past. 

Edited by throwitaway

5 hours ago, SGtoMurica said:

Did you get an email from the Consulate requesting for information similar to DS-5535?

I didn't receive a DS-5535 form to complete either. However, I did get an email from the Consular Officer asking about my siblings, children, past passport numbers, phone numbers, and email addresses (no mention of social media handles)

Usually you don’t get the actual form at MTL, it’s just an email that you reply to with your answers. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
21 hours ago, Fk2004 said:

What is wom I have been waiting for 2 yrs still nothing kindly let me know 

You don't have a country flag showing or a timeline. What Country did you interview in and if in Canada are you a natural born Canadian?  This makes a difference. If this is any other country you interviewed in then you are in the wrong forum. 

1 hour ago, Jvisa said:

Hey guys please answer me.. how many months you have been in AP ?

is somebody here more than a year to be in AP please share you experience I am in AP  10 months

There has been many over the 1 yr mark. It's a sad thing really. I hope yours is close to the end.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, throwitaway said:

Usually you don’t get the actual form at MTL, it’s just an email that you reply to with your answers. 

I have not communication from them period. 

I know that there wasn’t a formal form (I learned from this great forum). So I included all the info that would be asked in my email to them. I’m hoping that they have received the info and is processing it 

2 minutes ago, APRIL2023 said:

I have not communication from them period. 

I know that there wasn’t a formal form (I learned from this great forum). So I included all the info that would be asked in my email to them. I’m hoping that they have received the info and is processing it 

Sorry that was a reply to @SGtoMurica but I hope that as well for you. Hang in there!

Edited by throwitaway

2 hours ago, throwitaway said:

Get a new PCC, you don’t have to wait for them for that one. Interestingly, DOS considers PCC good for two years (regardless of actual expiry) but if I’m remembering correctly MTL sometimes still asks for a fresh one anyway, at least that’s what I’ve seen in the past. 

Oh interesting. Maybe we will get lucky then and won’t have to send in a new one. My husbands getting one tomorrow thought just in case. Thank you for the info too! Gives me a little bit of hope. 

Edited by justanamericangrl

20 minutes ago, WatchingPaintDry said:

Long time reader, first time poster. My spouse is sponsoring is via IR1. She's born & raised American. I'm born & raised Canadian. Been working in the US since 2013 under a TN work permit. Met my wife in Feb 2015, dated for 3 years, got married April 2018. Now the journey with immigration begins. Like everyone here, I've been impacted by US Montreal Consulate's processing time. A brief overview of my timeline:

1. Aug 2018 - Filed application for Permanent Residency -
  2. Nov 2018 - Received acknowledgement application receipt
  3. Dec 2019 - Received communication  my application with NVC stating a follow up appointment request will come soon
  4. 2020 - COVID - Complete Write off
  5. Dec 2021 - Interview Appointment confirmed with Montreal US Consulate for Jan 24th 2022
  6. Jan 24, 2022 (AM) - Interview conducted. Very pleasant interview. Was expecting an approval. Received a message at the end "You're application is refused as it is go through administrative processing. You'll receive a questionnaire in your email. Please complete it and return to us as soon as possible. Once we have it, we may begin the administrative processing". I requested approximate processing time. Was not given an estimate and my passport was returned (that's never good).
  7. Jan 24, 2022 (PM) - Received the DS-5535 as a word document questionnaire.
  8. Jan 26, 2022 - Completed the questionnaire and returned to the consulate
  9. Jan 28, 2022 - Case Updated (Status: Refused)
  10. Feb 2, 2022 - Case Updated (Status: Refused)
  11. Feb 4, 2022 - Case Updated (Status: Refused) and I find this forum and begin reading everyone's frustrating journeys
  12. Feb 5, 2022 - March 2023 - Nothing happens. I consider filing the WOM after reading others doing it but my attorney encourages me not too stating "You are able to stay in the US with your TN that is valid well into 2024. Save yourself the $5K. I'm telling you this as your lawyer, save your money."
  13. March 17, 2023 - Case Updated (Status: Refused) (first movement since Feb 4, 2022)
  14. Apr 5, 2023 - Received communication to submit new medical and RCMP record as they both expired (obviously). Also was requested for passport and two recent pictures "to complete finalizing the process". Lawyer states this is the final line.
  15. May 15, 2023 - Conducted new medical and RCMP criminal background check 
  16. May 25, 2023 - Medical submitted to US Consulate by the physician
  17. May 25, 2023 - Case Updated (Status: Refused)
  18. May 29, 2023 - Submitted RCMP criminal background check, Passport, and two Recent Photos
  19. May 31, 2023 - Consulate received the package
  20. Jun 2, 2023 - Case Updated (Status: Refused)
  21. Jun 7, 2023 - Case Updated (Status: Refused)

I know I'm likely near the finish line now but in total it took ~5 years for something that use to take 10-14 months just a few years ago. Yes COVID stopped everything and Administrative Processing no one expected. No explanation was given as to why I was put in. I've been in AP for 1.5 years  (Jan 2022-June 2023) now and didn't file a WOM on principal and was I lucky to have my TN so that I could stay with my wife. Now that I'm near the finish line, it's so frustrating watch paint dry and hoping to finally see "Case Updated (Status: Issued)"

That's my story. Hang in there everyone. There eventually will be a light at the end of the tunnel (with or without WOM).

My god. Such a journey. Thanks for sharing and rooting for you!

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, WatchingPaintDry said:

You are definitely at the end of the road @WatchingPaintDry!  What a long journey you have been on, but thankfully you were able to remain united in the US.  Typically with what we saw in the WOM group last year, it is a 3-5 week wait for visa in hand once the processing centre receives your passport and documents.  Not long now!!!

Long time reader, first time poster. My spouse is sponsoring is via IR1. She's born & raised American. I'm born & raised Canadian. Been working in the US since 2013 under a TN work permit. Met my wife in Feb 2015, dated for 3 years, got married April 2018. Now the journey with immigration begins. Like everyone here, I've been impacted by US Montreal Consulate's processing time. A brief overview of my timeline:

>>>

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.