2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I do think this is true. Although we waiting from June 2022 to march 2023 (about 9 months) ours was cleared without a WOM. We had retained PIC for a WOM but were cleared through before we had a chance to file. There have been a few others on here that I've seen recently clear through without WOMs and a couple others that have cleared through within a 4 month timeline. So I would recommend waiting a bit rather than jumping to file a WOM.

Edited by PZibran325

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

3 hours ago, PZibran325 said:

I do think this is true. Although we waiting from June 2022 to march 2023 (about 9 months) ours was cleared without a WOM. We had retained PIC for a WOM but were cleared through before we had a chance to file. There have been a few others on here that I've seen recently clear through without WOMs and a couple others that have cleared through within a 4 month timeline. So I would recommend waiting a bit rather than jumping to file a WOM.

I hope so!! I think I will wait until October to file, hopefully 6 - 7 months is enough time to get approved without needing to file WOM. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Pearljamm said:

I hope so!! I think I will wait until October to file, hopefully 6 - 7 months is enough time to get approved without needing to file WOM. 

Though there are examples of VJ members who filed WOMs sooner, most lawyers recommend waiting until 6 months anyway. I waited longer because: (a) I wanted to cross the November through January holiday season, (b) it was a lot to think about shelling out such a significant amount of money for something that should happen organically, and (c) I had hoped that with the amount of cases being put into AP and the amount of WOMs the gov't had been facing they'd fix things (usually Washington works slow but I decided to be optimistic).

With that announcement about making AP more streamlined and the way our case went and also knowing there has been at least one other couple here that filed a WOM only to pass through AP organically and then commenting they wished they'd waited just a little bit longer - my very sincere advice to people is to wait at least 6 months. Unless you have ~5k to spare, in which case go for it.

Edited by PZibran325

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

17 hours ago, PZibran325 said:

Though there are examples of VJ members who filed WOMs sooner, most lawyers recommend waiting until 6 months anyway. I waited longer because: (a) I wanted to cross the November through January holiday season, (b) it was a lot to think about shelling out such a significant amount of money for something that should happen organically, and (c) I had hoped that with the amount of cases being put into AP and the amount of WOMs the gov't had been facing they'd fix things (usually Washington works slow but I decided to be optimistic).

With that announcement about making AP more streamlined and the way our case went and also knowing there has been at least one other couple here that filed a WOM only to pass through AP organically and then commenting they wished they'd waited just a little bit longer - my very sincere advice to people is to wait at least 6 months. Unless you have ~5k to spare, in which case go for it.

Good points.

I'm just so confused on what to do, I'm wondering what some of you would do in my situation.

I have a work opportunity in the US with my current employer, they'd like me to move to our US head office as soon as I can.

When offered this role I was literally a week or two away from my IR1 interview , they agreed to let that work out.

When the DS55 bs happened, I obviously told them and they've agreed to let me work from Canada while this works itself out. However, I worry their patience with me will run out.

Timeline
5 hours ago, ShawnK said:

Good points.

I'm just so confused on what to do, I'm wondering what some of you would do in my situation.

I have a work opportunity in the US with my current employer, they'd like me to move to our US head office as soon as I can.

When offered this role I was literally a week or two away from my IR1 interview , they agreed to let that work out.

When the DS55 bs happened, I obviously told them and they've agreed to let me work from Canada while this works itself out. However, I worry their patience with me will run out.

I’m in similar situation. Had an interview with US employer within days of my Montreal interview. I thought immigration would go uneventful, given that I’m applying for IR1 visa with two children and husband who are already American. Got DS 5535’d. Employer notified. I tried the TN visa route but my job wouldn’t qualify (consulted with lawyer). Now exploring potential H1B visa option. We also connected with local congressman and a rep from the office has reached out to USICS to advocate for prompt AP review. The rep told us that it’ll take 30-180 days for USICS to respond. 

Try the TN or H1B route, but that’ll require work sponsorship (if they are willing and hopefully have a H1B cap exemption) or ur job to fall under either visa categories. You’ll have to be clear that you have no intention to immigrate through these visas while your IR1 is pending, in hopes that USICS grant you the temp work non-immigrant visa. Also try the your partner’s local congressperson. Even if it’s generic response it wouldn’t hurt to try. 

good luck! 

3 hours ago, APRIL2023 said:

I’m in similar situation. Had an interview with US employer within days of my Montreal interview. I thought immigration would go uneventful, given that I’m applying for IR1 visa with two children and husband who are already American. Got DS 5535’d. Employer notified. I tried the TN visa route but my job wouldn’t qualify (consulted with lawyer). Now exploring potential H1B visa option. We also connected with local congressman and a rep from the office has reached out to USICS to advocate for prompt AP review. The rep told us that it’ll take 30-180 days for USICS to respond. 

Try the TN or H1B route, but that’ll require work sponsorship (if they are willing and hopefully have a H1B cap exemption) or ur job to fall under either visa categories. You’ll have to be clear that you have no intention to immigrate through these visas while your IR1 is pending, in hopes that USICS grant you the temp work non-immigrant visa. Also try the your partner’s local congressperson. Even if it’s generic response it wouldn’t hurt to try. 

good luck! 

Just a note that USCIS is not involved at all with your 221g AP, that’s all DOS. 

4 hours ago, dennisv said:

Okay, so a little news out of the MTL. I did my usual bi-weekly ish follow email expecting to get the "generic" email they usually send back. Nope, they replied back with please grab a new medical and send your passport in via the AIS service. So that's something positive.

Timeline:
Interview: Nov 9 2023
221g: DS5355 Nov 9 2023
Positive News: May 26 2023

I didn't file a WOM

Congrats, it's about time! Very nice to see the veterans of this thread get cleared out. You are good to go now, as so as you send your medical and passport in they will quickly issue.

14 hours ago, haruharu said:

I’m sorry you’re in this position too. You could try to contact the consulate via email and explain your situation to see if there’s any movement. Although, my husband and I tried that for me (congressman and immigration lawyer emailed) but they give a generic non-reply. 

Thanks, I think they couldn't care less about our emails and personal situations. 

I guess for me I may just have to be prepared to file a WOM as soon as the lawyer is willing , waiting 6 months to file will be too much in my situation. If I didn't have the work thing I would have zero issue waiting it out.

Edited by ShawnK

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.