2,958 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, haruharu said:

Has anyone ever been denied to go after they received the DS5535? I have never had any issues prior to the interview and I traveled quite often but always returned well in advance before the 6 months date. 

Also, does anyone know if they can specifically see if you’ve received the form and it currently says refused? Just curious as I don’t want to divulge unnecessary information and just want to answer questions when asked. 

thanks all! 

I don’t think they can see that. Just speculation of course. When my spouse crossed before me, they asked where I was, and my spouse had to tell them I was still in AP.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post by someone who has his own thread has been removed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

E_Gade, you may post your recent questions in your earlier thread here:

They've been removed from this Canadian thread. :) 

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

When filling out

"DS 5535 - Have you ever held a passport other than the passport listed in your visa application? (YES or NO): 

If yes, provide the following information:"

I am assuming I need to fill out the old passport number, my questions is, I only have the pervious expired passport. my parents usually threw them out. Should I just put down the last expired passport? Been trying to search every where to find the old passports but no luck. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Pearljamm said:

When filling out

"DS 5535 - Have you ever held a passport other than the passport listed in your visa application? (YES or NO): 

If yes, provide the following information:"

I am assuming I need to fill out the old passport number, my questions is, I only have the pervious expired passport. my parents usually threw them out. Should I just put down the last expired passport? Been trying to search every where to find the old passports but no luck. 

Hi there,

I think in general they mean to ask if you've held a passport for another country before and if you have the information for that passport you provide it. If not, at the very least you mention that you've held another passport before. As much as I dislike the DS 5535 form I do like that in the instructions they very specifically say:

• If you are unsure of the answer to a question, please provide a response to the best of your knowledge. For example, if you are unsure of an exact address, provide the city, state, and street name if you can recall them. U.S. Department of State will consider all the information derived from the form in its entirety. 

• Failure to answer every question will not necessarily preclude visa issuance, as the application is considered in its entirety.

So do your best, be as specific as you can be but if there's something like an expired passport you just don't have access to anymore I'd mention Canada under country of issuance and under passport number, I'd put (expired, number not available anymore).

But because of their instructions I wouldn't stress out if there are details you can't locate, just answer as completely as possible to the best of your ability. Provide any details you can, but don't worry if there are some details you are unable to provide.

Edited by PZibran325

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

No updates regarding my status however I was able to travel to USA via Montreal connection with no issues. They asked the usual 2-3 questions that I’ve had in the past prior to DS5535. I went to the customs officer with my husband. Very friendly. Just wanted to share my experience for anyone thinking to travel. 

On 4/22/2023 at 1:09 PM, PZibran325 said:

Hi there,

I think in general they mean to ask if you've held a passport for another country before and if you have the information for that passport you provide it. If not, at the very least you mention that you've held another passport before. As much as I dislike the DS 5535 form I do like that in the instructions they very specifically say:

So do your best, be as specific as you can be but if there's something like an expired passport you just don't have access to anymore I'd mention Canada under country of issuance and under passport number, I'd put (expired, number not available anymore).

But because of their instructions I wouldn't stress out if there are details you can't locate, just answer as completely as possible to the best of your ability. Provide any details you can, but don't worry if there are some details you are unable to provide.

@PZibran325

I just saw your timelines at the bottom of your response.

Have you been in AP since June 2022? Seriously?!

Have you thought of WoM?

Has anything else been asked of you besides the DS-5535?

I feel sorry for your situation but salute your patience... I've been here for 4 weeks and already getting super irritated by the process and lack of clarity.

1 minute ago, can_do said:

@PZibran325

I just saw your timelines at the bottom of your response.

Have you been in AP since June 2022? Seriously?!

Have you thought of WoM?

Has anything else been asked of you besides the DS-5535?

I feel sorry for your situation but salute your patience... I've been here for 4 weeks and already getting super irritated by the process and lack of clarity.

Hi There - I'm with you, and it hasn't even been a week since I submitted mine :( Question - has your status changed at all?  Like refused to AP?  Mine is still saying "refused"... 

Anyways, seems like we're on a similar timeline so I'm looking forward to getting updates from you.  The lack of visibility and uncertainty of it all is the worst part. 

16 hours ago, haruharu said:

No updates regarding my status however I was able to travel to USA via Montreal connection with no issues. They asked the usual 2-3 questions that I’ve had in the past prior to DS5535. I went to the customs officer with my husband. Very friendly. Just wanted to share my experience for anyone thinking to travel. 

Thanks for sharing... that is super helpful.  I'm planning on flying to NYC this weekend. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, ajxl888 said:

Hi There - I'm with you, and it hasn't even been a week since I submitted mine :( Question - has your status changed at all?  Like refused to AP?  Mine is still saying "refused"... 

Anyways, seems like we're on a similar timeline so I'm looking forward to getting updates from you.  The lack of visibility and uncertainty of it all is the worst part. 

Thanks for sharing... that is super helpful.  I'm planning on flying to NYC this weekend. 

Its been over a month for us now. There was one date update 1 week back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.