2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Glad you tagged him. I was wondering how his case was going. 

Sorry I have been quiet. I actually just this week did my landing and been visiting my wife for the week. There is still more transitional logistics type stuff to be done before I physically move, but my legal journey with the dysfunctional immigration system is at least done. Thank G-d.

4 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Sorry, but how is renewing Canadian passport in the US a hassle.

Curious as it may be relevant to me in the future.

it is not THAT bad to renew, and absolutely feasible, but it is:

- more expensive

- depending on where you live, a little, or a lot, more difficult to get the correct pictures [#1 reason why passport applications are rejected is because the pictures are not meeting the requirements; the back and forth by mail can also extend the processing time...]

- some American banks reject the payment, thinking it is fraudulent [mostly the case when paying from a Debit card on a credit card network]

it can be more challenging to request a new passport [after losing one, to change name, after the last one has been expired for too long]:

- Americans are not always willing to be a guarantor/sign the pictures 

- Document to support your identity has to match with your birth certificate/certificate of citizenship; the copy needs to be signed by your guarantor

- You need to send the original of your birth certificate/certificate of citizenship

---

All in all, when possible, renew in Canada (before leaving, or during an extended stay - quick service in Canada was pretty much the same price as snail mail service from the USA, last time I checked).  Otherwise, reach out to Passport Canada (and/or your local diplomatic mission [consulate/embassy]), for assistance before mailing your application, if ever you have questions.  

39 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Sorry I have been quiet. I actually just this week did my landing and been visiting my wife for the week. There is still more transitional logistics type stuff to be done before I physically move, but my legal journey with the dysfunctional immigration system is at least done. Thank G-d.

So glad I decided to lurk today, many many many congratulations, ice-qube. I'm so happy this is over for you. Wishing the best for you and your wife and hoping that all your journeys from here on out go smoothly with no complications 🙏

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Evie6366 said:

Wow, @ice-qube congratulations, I've read all the posts...so happy for you! Thank you for giving us some hope... Can you please share the lawyer you used? How long after they submitted the WOM did you get approved? 90 days? 

I used Hacking Law. If i recall correctly they submitted October 24. I was approved i believe on or about Jan 30, so that’s pretty close.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Danii said:

So glad I decided to lurk today, many many many congratulations, ice-qube. I'm so happy this is over for you. Wishing the best for you and your wife and hoping that all your journeys from here on out go smoothly with no complications 🙏

@Danii it was a long, long road. Thanks to all of you who were there to listen to my impotent raging along the way! 

5 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

I very, very, strongly recommend that you renew your passport while you are still in Canada (even if it would "ok" for the visa - which am I not sure from what you said).  Get a new, fresh, 10-year passport and you will save yourself the cost and headache from renewing from abroad, for 10ish years.  

@lemonslice thanks for the input! 

6 hours ago, dennisv said:

@Irish89 Usually the DS-5535 they ask that no attachments be sent. Also, if your passport expires sooner than later, maybe renew it.. 

@dennisv thanks for your input. Passport expires in January 2024. Just worried that that’s about the timeline of 10-12 months of how long DS-5535 has been taking.

On 3/9/2023 at 12:14 AM, throwitaway said:

1. They don’t want anything of that for 5535

2. If your passport expires before clearance it will be returned to you (if not already) and they will ask for a renewed one before they can issue your visa. 

Thank you @throwitaway for your input. Can I ask if you first hand experience in a case where their expired passport was returned and a request for a new one being made? 

5 hours ago, Irish89 said:

Looking closer at the physical copy of the 221(G) I was handed at the interview. It says “Supplemental questions will be emailed to you.Passport.”

Wondering what the passport at the end of that sentence means if it means anything at all? Is everyone getting DS-5535 getting the same wording as that? TIA

Was your passport kept or returned at interview? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/9/2023 at 1:55 AM, James Carter18 said:

Hello friends i am currently waiting for Purolator to deliver my passport. Do u guys know if they deliver in the mailbox or the front door? I will be out of town. I don't want to leave it outside the door front. Any ideas?

Pretty sure you have to sign for it.  

10 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Sorry, but how is renewing Canadian passport in the US a hassle.

Curious as it may be relevant to me in the future.

It's a pain for a number of reasons:

1. Canada has stupid picture rules with requiring the dumb photographer's info on the back of the photo.  It can be challenging to get photos they'll accept, too

2. A guarantor can be annoying to find.  

3. It costs more money - fees and courier fees

Add a pandemic and you'll be waiting forever for it, too. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.