2,958 posts in this topic

Hi all-

I’m looking for anyone in a similar situation. My husband was denied at his interview in June of 2022 at the Consulate in Montreal. We received the dreaded ds5535 and submitted just days after our interview. Our case is still reading as refused and in administrative processing. We are so frustrated and overwhelmingly exhausted. My husband is separated from our children and we living apart. Looking for hope!

Edited by familyapart

Hi

I am looking for any one same experience.I have received questionsair mail after 2 month but in the mail no metion it’s 5535 

just metion in the mail just metion we need some more information to processing your case

Thank you 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
22 hours ago, Siarg said:

Just going to post again to reiterate as has been seen by ice cube - I really advise against using writ of mandamus churn firms. 

It’s simply a cash cow and if you aren’t able to speak directly with the attorney, you aren’t getting your moneys worth. 

You can go on the website AVVO and search for immigration attorneys. Almost every single attorney will be licensed to practice in DC so their state isn’t relevant (as long as they can file in DC). 

I found my lawyer who was never mentioned on any forums by looking at Law360 and finding successful WoM cases filed in DC. 

For reference I used Chris Casazza at PIC Law. Every single time I communicated with them, it was with Chris (name partner) directly, or another name partner.

The lawyers that churn out WoM as their entire practice seem to just file and forget, because it can work out for them hands off. It’s genuinely possible for them to work harder for you and communicate with the government attorneys. Not having at least a direct email to them should not be acceptable. I had a direct cell number to Chris. 

It is worth stating, I am a chump. I selected Hacking as they have a good name on this forum and were generally more responsive than Goldstein was in the exploration phase. Now, since actually retaining them in November I have never heard from a lawyer, I just get handled by the paralegal who usually tells me "contact the consulate." I am not very happy about it.

Timeline
16 hours ago, familyapart said:

Hi all-

I’m looking for anyone in a similar situation. My husband was denied at his interview in June of 2022 at the Consulate in Montreal. We received the dreaded ds5535 and submitted just days after our interview. Our case is still reading as refused and in administrative processing. We are so frustrated and overwhelmingly exhausted. My husband is separated from our children and we living apart. Looking for hope!

In similar boat as you except our interview was a month after yours in July of 2022. I hope this is the month for us :(

Edited by PZibran325

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
39 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

It is worth stating, I am a chump. I selected Hacking as they have a good name on this forum and were generally more responsive than Goldstein was in the exploration phase. Now, since actually retaining them in November I have never heard from a lawyer, I just get handled by the paralegal who usually tells me "contact the consulate." I am not very happy about it.

I’ve seen it with all of the recommended ones, however you should be coming up to a response time soon, no? 

Usually it’s 60 days to respond, and the reason these law firms can be hands off is because the government lawyers usually just settle it before they have to argue against it (leading to a voluntary dismissal). 

There was a period where they were requesting more time for another 20-30 days, but that seems to have passed now. 

The paralegal telling you to contact the consulate is just a palming off technique to feel like you’re doing something, they know that no amount of contacting will change the case. 

Timeline

We filed a WOM with Hacking Immigration Law in late October after being given the DS 5535 on July 14 (DS 5535 came one day after my interview in Montreal).  The initial 60 day deadline was December 27... however, as expected from other reports and stories, the department of state filed a 30 day extension request on December 20 (new deadline of January 26)

CEAC hadn't updated since July but we've recently had updates on December 28, January 5, and now today, Jan 9.  Also today, the consulate requested a new medical and two new passport photos (my 1st medical expired like 3 weeks ago... argh!)

I'm wondering if anyone has a recent experience or an estimate of a timeline for visa approval AFTER the second medical is sent to the consulate.  The second medical appears to be the last hurdle before in the consular officer's words they can "finalize processing" of the visa.  

Thanks in advance! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, likethefox said:

We filed a WOM with Hacking Immigration Law in late October after being given the DS 5535 on July 14 (DS 5535 came one day after my interview in Montreal).  The initial 60 day deadline was December 27... however, as expected from other reports and stories, the department of state filed a 30 day extension request on December 20 (new deadline of January 26)

CEAC hadn't updated since July but we've recently had updates on December 28, January 5, and now today, Jan 9.  Also today, the consulate requested a new medical and two new passport photos (my 1st medical expired like 3 weeks ago... argh!)

I'm wondering if anyone has a recent experience or an estimate of a timeline for visa approval AFTER the second medical is sent to the consulate.  The second medical appears to be the last hurdle before in the consular officer's words they can "finalize processing" of the visa.  

Thanks in advance! 

about 4-5 weeks once they get your medical, and the passport photos

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

2 hours ago, likethefox said:

Thanks in advance! 

Get those in ASAP, they’ll want to issue it before Jan 26 so you‘ll withdraw the suit. 

20 hours ago, Gha said:

Hi

I am looking for any one same experience.I have received questionsair mail after 2 month but in the mail no metion it’s 5535 

just metion in the mail just metion we need some more information to processing your case

Thank you 

Same experience in what way? If you received a questionnaire about 15 years of history, that’s what is being referred to here as 5535, which is the experience of almost everyone on this thread. 

On 1/8/2023 at 6:24 PM, familyapart said:

Hi all-

We interviewed in June as well, we had to sue to get things moving. It was just so awful being stuck. I’m sorry your family is going through this. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.