Pete Rogers

K-1 Visa Letter of Intent

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

Can anyone please advise me exactly what I need to include in the letter of intent (as the beneficiary) for the K-1 visa? The guide on this site gives just very basic, official language to use, but looking at examples on pretty much any immigration law firm's website, they say you have to include a full breakdown of how you met, which is confusing me. I don't want to leave anything out and risk doing it wrong, but there seems to be too many variations online to know what's right and what isn't.

I know at some point we both have to provide proof of a relationship — photos, boarding passes, receipts etc... is that part of this, too, or does that come later?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

My letter said the following:

I, BENEFICIARY, do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry PETITIONER and intend to do so within 90 days of my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa.

Both the petitioner and beneficiary need to do the letter. Proof is also included in the petition, but not as part of the intent letter. 

3 minutes ago, AW1704 said:

I, BENEFICIARY, do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry PETITIONER and intend to do so within 90 days of my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa.

Both the petitioner and beneficiary need to do the letter. Proof is also included in the petition, but not as part of the intent letter. 

Thank you for this. That's what VJ says in the guide here, but with so many other sources saying something else, I figured it was best to check.

Do I still need to put the details of the US Embassy on there, like it says on the VJ template?

3 minutes ago, AW1704 said:

pretty much it right there..  yea if it means anything, me and my fiancé got our letter notarized. ( weather it helps or not.. who knows ) but you are correct

1 minute ago, Pete Rogers said:

Thank you for this. That's what VJ says in the guide here, but with so many other sources saying something else, I figured it was best to check.

Do I still need to put the details of the US Embassy on there, like it says on the VJ template?

Yeah, you want to format it like a normal letter and I think we did wet signatures for both parties, but not 100% certain any more.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Pete Rogers said:

but with so many other sources saying something else,

Those "other sources" are notorious for spewing inaccurate and, sometimes, harmful information.  Visa Journey is the absolute best source.  We don't judge, sugar-coat, or spew useless information, imo. Good luck on your journey. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pete Rogers said:

Concerning the embassy. That is mentioned because if your interview is delayed and falls 4+ months after your NOA2 petition approval date, the petitioner will have to provide another letter of intent at your interview. Petition approvals expire at 4 months, but are easily extended by bringing an updated letter of intent from the American to the interview. 

You don’t really have to make these in formal letter format. You could do something simple like—-

STATEMENT OF INTENT

I, (beneficiary’s name), do hereby state that I am legally free to marry and intend to marry (petitioner’s  name) within 90 days of my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa. 

(signature)

Typed name

Date

STATEMENT OF INTENT

I, (petitioner’s name), do hereby state that I am legally free to marry and intend to marry (beneficiary’s  name) within 90 days of his (or her) arrival into the US using the K-1 visa. 

(signature)

Typed name

Date

And if you go past 4 months between petition approval and interview date—-

STATEMENT OF INTENT

I, (petitioner’s name), do hereby state that I remain legally free to marry and intend to marry (beneficiary’s  name) within 90 days of his (or her) arrival into the US using the K-1 visa. 

(signature)

Typed name

Date (which is a new date closer to the interview)

NOTE: The wording is  slightly different depending on if it is from the petitioner or beneficiary. VJ seems to indicate they write identical statements to their VJ example. It wouldn’t make sense for the petitioner to say “my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa”.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Pete Rogers said:

Hi,

Can anyone please advise me exactly what I need to include in the letter of intent (as the beneficiary) for the K-1 visa? The guide on this site gives just very basic, official language to use, but looking at examples on pretty much any immigration law firm's website, they say you have to include a full breakdown of how you met, which is confusing me. I don't want to leave anything out and risk doing it wrong, but there seems to be too many variations online to know what's right and what isn't.

I know at some point we both have to provide proof of a relationship — photos, boarding passes, receipts etc... is that part of this, too, or does that come later?

For the letter of intent, I made it clear that I, as the beneficiary, intended to marry the petitioner within the 90 days period. I briefly laid out where the wedding will take place, and briefly described the proofs of my intention to marry the petitioner. The proofs were online chat logs between my mother in law, and chat logs between myself and the petitioner (all of which were very personal). Before I provided the evidences, I also clarified that none of these were altered and are genuine. I also virtually signed the paper, and made a space for my fiancé to sign it once he printed it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Pete Rogers said:

The only evidence required for an I-129F petition for a K-1 is documentation to show that you met at least once, in person, within two years of filing the petition.  The best evidence of this consists of original boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel receipts, and a few photos of the couple together.  Proof of the relationship is not required, either with the petition or at the visa interview, and is only recommended for high-fraud countries or situations where there are red flags such as a big age gap.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

The only evidence required for an I-129F petition for a K-1 is documentation to show that you met at least once, in person, within two years of filing the petition.  The best evidence of this consists of original boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel receipts, and a few photos of the couple together.  Proof of the relationship is not required, either with the petition or at the visa interview, and is only recommended for high-fraud countries or situations where there are red flags such as a big age gap.

While it's true that it's not strictly required, I disagree that evidence of the relationship is only recommended for high-fraud countries. The VJ guide includes the advice to add evidence of an ongoing relationship to the petition regardless of location AND to bring additional evidence of the relationship to the interview. However, people with simple cases (no red flags) from low-fraud countries don't have to worry as much about front-loading their petition with tons of evidence. That doesn't mean it's advisable to provide no additional evidence at all. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

7 hours ago, Pete Rogers said:

Hi,

Not ‘proof of relationship.’   Evidence of the one required meeting during the previous two years.   That evidence must be sent with the petition.

The letter of intent to marry should be clear and concise (“I/we the undersigned agree to marry one another within 90 days of entry on the K-1 visa…..”.   Etc).

Sending extra stuff they haven’t asked for isn’t recommended for the UK.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Kind of refreshing to be where I am now and seeing others at the starting point.  Man those initial days of  K1 processing were a challenge.   Best advise I can offer is "Beware of the HI GUY'S"  you see on U-tube. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.