GregandNatty

B2 VISA for Wifes Sister in Uganda

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

For the B2 there's just not much that can be done. You fill the form and pay the fee. Of course you could do that for her but there's no hours of preparation of evidence to send with like you do for an immigrant visa. and if you prepare things for her to bring to the interview then you need to focus on evidence why she has to return and nothing why she has to come.

Worst case your reasoning of you having a baby could be seen as if you want to have her there to help with the baby which is basically working without permission so that's really not the way to go.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
13 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Um, that’s totally not an accurate statement. First, sub Saharan Africa is not homogeneous (some countries in it actually have refusal rates under 10%). Uganda’s is 39%, which is fairly high, but nowhere near as high as some other countries (outside sub Saharan Africa) with 65% and upwards refusal rates. The data are published, you can verify for yourself. https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY21.pdf

I'm more of a visual person.   That band of light purple includes sub Sharan Africa:   https://capacoa.ca/images/stories/news/2018/trv-refusal-rate-map.png

That aside,  if 39% are refused, well more than half get visas. It will totally depend on your SIL’s ties to home. Yes interviews are usually very brief, because usually they have what they need to know in the application form. 

I didn't say people don't get VISAs there.  I said that sub Sharan Africa has some of the highest VISA rejection rates in the world and this graphic clearly shows that.

Edited by GregandNatty

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

For the B2 there's just not much that can be done. You fill the form and pay the fee. Of course you could do that for her but there's no hours of preparation of evidence to send with like you do for an immigrant visa. and if you prepare things for her to bring to the interview then you need to focus on evidence why she has to return and nothing why she has to come.

There is more to it that just filling out a form and paying a fee.  This isn't my first rodeo.  I would agree there's no were near the prep that is required for an immigrant VISA, but there are also some docs that need to be there.

Clearly the people who have responded thus far are saying that it doesn't make a difference going to see a family member.  This is what I was looking for. 

I could have just done without comments like this "No real reason for you to get involved, her money her time," which really provides no tangible help.   My wife's first comment on seeing this:  It's comments like that that I've stayed away from visaforum since getting my visa over a year ago.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Looking at the stats for B1/B2 visas issued in Uganda for May 732 and april 1,867

so,  these people were able to prove their intent to return to home by: such things as the following:

owning property

having a  job to return to

having the assets to sponsor their own vacation

this basically is what the CO is suppose to review

my MIL did inherit a house when her parents died but the family had not hired a lawyer to get the names changed by time of 1st B1/B2 application/  we did it after her 1st denial and it seemed to have changed the visa outcome 

so,  these things are important

i still agree that the decision is made when the CO reviews the application ahead of the interview and either believes the person will return or suspects  they intend to stay in US

9 hours ago, GregandNatty said:

I'm more of a visual person.   That band of light purple includes sub Sharan Africa:   https://capacoa.ca/images/stories/news/2018/trv-refusal-rate-map.png

I didn't say people don't get VISAs there.  I said that sub Sharan Africa has some of the highest VISA rejection rates in the world and this graphic clearly shows that.

Sorry you don’t like actual numbers. I have to point out though that the chart you show is for Canada, not the US, so not relevant at all.  Anyway, as the official US link I gave you shows, 60% of Ugandan applicants got Bvisas last year., none of which changes the fact that your SIL needs to show her own ties to home regardless.

fwiw I am from sub Saharan Africa originally and have had 4 B visa interviews of my own plus accompanied husband for his first one at one of those, plus got for my 2 kids. I kind of know the drill. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

To me those figures are only comparable if the demographics of those applying in each country are similar.

Now that seems unlikely. 

An extreme example would be those applying from a VWP country as most of the non issue applicants would not apply for a B

Or Canada

In some countries only the top few percentage can contemplate applying

And then there are Countries with changing circumstances, I would expect it to be more challenging for a Russian to get a B.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Sorry you don’t like actual numbers. I have to point out though that the chart you show is for Canada, not the US, so not relevant at all.  Anyway, as the official US link I gave you shows, 60% of Ugandan applicants got Bvisas last year., none of which changes the fact that your SIL needs to show her own ties to home regardless.

fwiw I am from sub Saharan Africa originally and have had 4 B visa interviews of my own plus accompanied husband for his first one at one of those, plus got for my 2 kids. I kind of know the drill. 

Indeed you are right in that I linked a Canadian graphic, but the US version is very similar.  I've seen it before and so I grabbed it since it looked much like this one from wikipedia:  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_visa_refusal_rate.png    

I am an engineer, so numbers are what I deal with every day.   If I were to plot the data from the link you sent me, it would very likely give the same result as the map I linked.   It's much easier to visualize the results from data in a graph or map like then than tabular numbers.   The point I was trying to make is that Uganda has a very high visa rejection rate compared to most other countries in the world.  

The State Department does publishes B VISA rejection rates:  https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY20.pdf

Uganda, and most of the other Sub Sahara Africa Countries, have B VISA rejection rates of 50% or more.    The Uganda rejection rate is this:  

UGANDA 49.82%

21 minutes ago, GregandNatty said:

Indeed you are right in that I linked a Canadian graphic, but the US version is very similar.  I've seen it before and so I grabbed it since it looked much like this one from wikipedia:  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_visa_refusal_rate.png    

I am an engineer, so numbers are what I deal with every day.   If I were to plot the data from the link you sent me, it would very likely give the same result as the map I linked.   It's much easier to visualize the results from data in a graph or map like then than tabular numbers.   The point I was trying to make is that Uganda has a very high visa rejection rate compared to most other countries in the world.  

The State Department does publishes B VISA rejection rates:  https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY20.pdf

Uganda, and most of the other Sub Sahara Africa Countries, have B VISA rejection rates of 50% or more.    The Uganda rejection rate is this:  

UGANDA 49.82%

Uganda has a very high visa rejection rate compared to most other countries in the world.  ”. “Most”? No, it doesn’t. That’s what the numbers say. The numbers for the US, not Canada, the numbers for the latest year, not a year like 2020 which was heavily affected by the pandemic. And yes i know the US published the numbers because  I actually gave you the latest link of the one you posted above, but I get that it doesn’t tally nicely with the story you want to tell so you’re ignoring it. Oh well. Good luck anyway.  Little point continuing this conversation, I guess if she gets refused you’ll just blame the “high refusal rate”   🤷‍♀️ 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
11 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Uganda has a very high visa rejection rate compared to most other countries in the world.  ”. “Most”? No, it doesn’t. That’s what the numbers say. The numbers for the US, not Canada, the numbers for the latest year, not a year like 2020 which was heavily affected by the pandemic. And yes i know the US published the numbers because  I actually gave you the latest link of the one you posted above, but I get that it doesn’t tally nicely with the story you want to tell so you’re ignoring it. Oh well. Good luck anyway.  Little point continuing this conversation, I guess if she gets refused you’ll just blame the “high refusal rate”   🤷‍♀️ 

And I analyzed these data you linked.  Uganda is #143 out of 200 countries in the report for B VISA rejections, meaning 142 countries out of 200 have a lower B VISA rejection than Uganda.   My statement is factually correct.  Most other countries have a lower B VISA rejection rate than Uganda.

I'm not blaming the high refusal rate, I'm simply stating it as fact that there is alot of rejection there which is likely due to past fraud.  Therefore, a person going in for a tourist VISA in Uganda will have a much more difficult time getting an approval than coming from, let's say, Israel.   The interviewers in Uganda are used to seeing alot more fraud and therefore they will assume fraud more quickly than someone applying for a B VISA from Israel

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.