Ekoostikhookah765

SSN i94 required

15 posts in this topic

So I took my daughter and wife to local SSA branch yesterday. They allowed me to file app for daughter with her crba document. They said my wife needs a i94. I explained she entered on a ir1 visa and immigrant visa holders don't get a i94 but they insisted she should of received one.

At this point I am a bit lost. Do I have to wait for green card in mail before I can apply for her SSN?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Did you show them her I 551 and explain she is a permanent resident?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yes I did. The lady said she needs information on i94 to enter into system. 

I just checked our ds260. We answered yes on the last question. We agreed to share the information to homeland security and SSA. So this means we will automatically receive it?

Timeline

Try a different office is probably the easiest, ticking the box should get it sent to you but does not always seem to work

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks for reply. After hours on the phone with USCIS and SSA main number I am convinced the local office never deals with this much. So you are probably correct. Next closest branch hour away. Any kind of odds that it automatically comes? Hard for me going to another one as I work first shift. Debating on waiting or taking another day off

Timeline

It is what you get, next will be the GC.

Timeline

I am not sure what the norm is for issuing a SSN

I imagine I only see those who have waited a long time

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

happened to us too , 

they said we needed copy of marriage certificate and other BS

took it back and got a different SS officer

and he looked at it all and said "all i need is a CR1 or IR1 stamp on the visa page and a birth certifacte

try different officer or ask for supervisor

OR a different office 

print out the following instructions from SS itself

highlight this part and take their own instructions to them as some are poorly trained or just plain lazy to learn the job

If You Did Not Request an SSN When You Applied for Your Visa

You must come to a Social Security office to apply for an SSN if you did not request an SSN card as part of your visa application. When you have a permanent address, please contact us to find out where to apply for an SSN card.

When you visit a Social Security office to apply for a Social Security card, take the following papers with you:

• Your passport with your Machine-Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) or Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) if you have it; and,
  • your birth certificate and a birth certificate for each member of your family applying for a Social Security number.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/Handout_11_1.html

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ekoostikhookah765 said:

At this point I am a bit lost. Do I have to wait for green card in mail before I can apply for her SSN?

When did she immigrate? may be wait at least two weeks before going to another SSA.

33 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I am not sure what the norm is for issuing a SSN

I imagine I only see those who have waited a long time

Not sure if they are ramping up their speed, my cousin who immigrated last month on DV visa got his SSN in 7 days and GC in 2.5 weeks delivered to my address while i was telling him to expect GC in 2.5 months per poste in VJ.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Thanks Jeanne, I bookmarked this. Instructions I was looking at was more complicated and not direct like the one you shared. This should make it clear as day for them. Also, I feel 100% confident now they didn't know what they were doing. 

Arken thanks for reply. She got here 4 days ago. They informed me when at office that I need to wait 10 days before they could do anything for something to show up in system. With your 2nd quote I think it's best just to wait anyhow. Maybe things are faster now. I will stop stressing. Give it 2 weeks and then attempt to teach the nice green behind the ears ladies at SSA difference between non-immigrant and immigrant visas. 

Everyone here been so helpful. Can't say I'm thankful enough. I used this site mainly just by reading and felt greatly educated until the last few steps on this two year process. Thankful I was able to fix my confusion. 

Make sure you can find your I-94 at

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/

If you can't see your I-94, then the SSA won't be able to see it.

We waited till we can see the I-94 before going to the SSA to apply for the SSN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

We waited till we can see the I-94 before going to the SSA to apply for the SSN.

when we come on a spouse visa , we don't get I -94 

our visa is stamped with I 551 for a temporary green card 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

K-1 is different.  K-1's are only allowed to stay 90 days in the US, thus they get an I-94.  CR1/IR1 are permanent entry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.