Emilia2117

French Husband Visit me in USA while i-130 is pending

20 posts in this topic

Hello! I am (removed), a US citizen and my husband is (removed), a French citizen. We have submitted our i-130 about a month ago to start the process of him coming to live here. I heard it takes a long time so he wants to visit some in the mean time and I want to visit him too. 

Well, my nephew is about to be born in two weeks and we will be an Uncle and an Aunt! Yay! He wanted to come and visit during this time to meet Kai for about a month. But we are both really worried if he can or if it will affect our visa. We absolutely do not want to risk our visa getting canceled for any reason. He would visit using the VWP.

The thing is, he doesn't really have strong ties. He doesn't own a car because trains are a much better option economically for him and his family. He lives with his mother right now because she was going through cancer and just recently beat it. He takes care of her with his brother and helps her financially but nothing is in his name. So he obviously has to go back to help his mother. He has a bank account and his own cell phone plan, and he has close friends he visits too. And he would have a return ticket too. I actually plan on going to France shortly after his visit to the US anyways, but I am not sure the CBP will care. 

What are other ties that others use that I might not be thinking of? 

We absolutely want to do things the right way because it is our future were talking about. We wouldn't ever want to risk that, especially since we have waited so long already. We dated through covid and couldn't ever see each other for the full duration of it. 

If anyone wants more information just ask and I  will reply.

Based on what I said here and any supplemental information gave, what would be best to do in our case? 

Edited by Ontarkie
edited to removed personal information

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Dublin and Shannon in Ireland have CBP pre clearence.  Before you waste $$ and time, I'd suggest book a flight that originates from any of the 2. If they let him on a plane, you're good. If not, you just saved $$ & time. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

I never heard of CBP pre clearance. I will look into it and yes he would come through CDG in Paris. I have left as a US citizen twice from Paris and never noticed anything like that so I am unsure. 
EDIT: It looks like pre clearance is just for Canada, Caribbean, Ireland, and Unite Arab Emirates. 

Edited by Emilia2117

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Emilia2117 said:

I never heard of CBP pre clearance. I will look into it and yes he would come through CDG in Paris. I have left as a US citizen twice from Paris and never noticed anything like that so I am unsure. 

I edited my post above. Paris doesn't have CBP pre-clearance. Your closest ones are in Ireland. See link below for all pre clearance locations. 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/preclearance

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Using a route through Dublin or Shannon sounds like a good idea, but if he is denied entry, you still paid for a ticket that he will not use.  Maybe that ticket will be MORE expensive than a more direct route from Paris.  I suggest proceeding with whatever the best travel arrangements are, and deal with the issue based on a good answer when asked the purpose of his visit.  For example, if he's coming for a month, have a round trip ticket, then answer "I'm coming to visit family expecting my first nephew to be born."  (If that is the truth.  Otherwise a similar general but specific answer.)  No need to mention "wife's family" or "wife" at all.  If pressed, "wife's brother" etc.  Why isn't your wife with you?  She's already here.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Yes it is true he would come to visit our nephew. I assume they will have on record our visa process and he would be coming to my address, the same address my brother and his girlfriend our at. We all live together.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Emilia2117 said:

Yes it is true he would come to visit our nephew. I assume they will have on record our visa process and he would be coming to my address, the same address my brother and his girlfriend our at. We all live together.

"Who lives where you will be staying?  Truthful answer is "My Brother and Sister In-law." 😉

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Just now, Emilia2117 said:

Sure, I am new here how do I do that?

Click the “report post” link top right of the post, then you’ll have an option to send a message to a moderator.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post edited to remove personal information.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most people visit without issue, there is a Mega Thread on here about people who have done so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.