annab864

Any experiences with TSA PreCheck enrollment with expired Green card and extension letter?

37 posts in this topic

I would like to enroll in TSA PreCheck, i have an appointment scheduled with them 2 weeks from now. My GC expired and so did an extension letter, BUT I do have a stamp in my passport.

Does anyone has experience applying for TSA PreCheck with expired documents, were you given a hard time/rejection/approval? 
I am planning to bring a copy of my expired GC (USCIS took the original when they gave me the stamp), an expired extension letter and my passport with a stamp in it and i’m hoping they accept the documents!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just a note, if your going to spend the 85 dollars on pre-check, spend the extra 15 and get global entry. Comes with TSA pre, and the benefit of global entry, good for 5 years also, and a lot of credit cards will cover the Global entry fee once every 4 years so the price is free to do global entry. As for the documents it shouldn't be an issue as long as your Passport is still valid and not expired, and maybe you can back it up with an unexpired State ID or Drivers license.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

interesting. my friend (GC holder) been using nexus and she said she used global entry when shes going overseas ( not to canada)

I did a quick read on the NEXUS site .. so i may be wrong .. but a reread confirms GE at Canada pre clearance. Otherwise all of us would get NEXUS at half the price rather than GE  

NEXUS

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the United States and Canada. Program members use dedicated processing lanes at designated northern border ports of entry, NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada by air and Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports. NEXUS members also receive expedited processing at marine reporting locations.

4 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

I did a quick read on the NEXUS site .. so i may be wrong .. but a reread confirms GE at Canada pre clearance. Otherwise all of us would get NEXUS at half the price rather than GE  

NEXUS

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the United States and Canada. Program members use dedicated processing lanes at designated northern border ports of entry, NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada by air and Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports. NEXUS members also receive expedited processing at marine reporting locations.

many people didnt know about it. i didnt know to until my friend told me, and then my USC husband also confirmed ( he has nexus and got GE) hes been using it a lot ( not to canada)

Edited by Misscloud

1 hour ago, Loren Y said:

Just a note, if your going to spend the 85 dollars on pre-check, spend the extra 15 and get global entry. Comes with TSA pre, and the benefit of global entry, good for 5 years also, and a lot of credit cards will cover the Global entry fee once every 4 years so the price is free to do global entry. As for the documents it shouldn't be an issue as long as your Passport is still valid and not expired, and maybe you can back it up with an unexpired State ID or Drivers license.

I did not know about this! Yes, absolutely i will do that instead! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
3 hours ago, annab864 said:

Does anyone has experience applying for TSA PreCheck with expired documents, were you given a hard time/rejection/approval?

I did that last year.  No problems whatsoever.  I did my Global Entry interview when I returned from a trip abroad.  Once through secondary I just walked up to the Global Entry booth and had my—very short and friendly—interview.  I don't think the GE officer even wanted to see my expired Greencard or my extension letter.

1 minute ago, RLA said:

I did that last year.  No problems whatsoever.  I did my Global Entry interview when I returned from a trip abroad.  Once through secondary I just walked up to the Global Entry booth and had my—very short and friendly—interview.  I don't think the GE officer even wanted to see my expired Greencard or my extension letter.

So if I already applied for PreCheck but haven’t had my appointment yet, can I let them know that i’d like a more advanced option (Global Entry) at the time of the appointment? Or should I apply for Global Entry separately (start a new application)?
I originally wanted to apply just for PreCheck but reading the comments now, i think Global Entry is a better option lol

I applied for TSA precheck with expired 2 year GC + extension letter 2 months ago. Initially the employees who take fingerprints etc were confused and thought it wouldn't work, then they made some calls and were told to move the expiration date 2 years forward.

I still haven't received the number yet 60 days later, although that's unrelated to having an expired GC + extension letter.  I called them and they said they are just backed up.

31 minutes ago, annab864 said:

So if I already applied for PreCheck but haven’t had my appointment yet, can I let them know that i’d like a more advanced option (Global Entry) at the time of the appointment? Or should I apply for Global Entry separately (start a new application)?
I originally wanted to apply just for PreCheck but reading the comments now, i think Global Entry is a better option lol

You should cancel precheck appoint and get a global entry one.  I made that mistake and it's too late since I already paid.

1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Only between US and Canada 

Not true.  It can be used at when arriving in US by air at any airport.  It can also be used when entering US via Canadian border.   I don't think it can be used at mexican border.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Moe428 said:

I don't think it can be used at mexican border.

Correct, on the south boarder they use SENTRI. Same as NEXUS for the southern boarder.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.