OrlandoGringo

Can a 90-year-old retiree be a co-sponsor?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Clobags2510 said:

My husband had his father cosponsor my petition - he was 86 years old at the time - was never an issue 🤷🏻‍♀️

Not always going to BE an issue either.  Depends on the totality of circumstances.  It's a judgment call every time.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
27 minutes ago, OrlandoGringo said:

Thank you your expert feedback.  Do you know the USCIS's age cut-off date for being a co-sponsor?  

There isn't one, AND USCIS will not be making the judgment call in any visa case.  Consular Officers do that.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

Not always going to BE an issue either.  Depends on the totality of circumstances.  It's a judgment call every time.

So there are no fixed standards but, rather, USCIS employees have the freedom to approve or reject anyone based on their own personal feelings?

Just now, pushbrk said:

There isn't one, AND USCIS will not be making the judgment call in any visa case.  Consular Officers do that.

What consular office will one visit if they're already in the U.S.?  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, OrlandoGringo said:

What do you mean by "maybe"?  I thought you were an immigration law expert dispensing free advice.  

Nobody here is giving legal advice, (even if they ARE a lawyer)  We are answering your questions based on our knowledge.  No need to get snarky.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, OrlandoGringo said:

How many applicants have you represented?

The word "represented" has a specific meaning, so the answer is ZERO.  I've petitioned a wife and stepdaughter, and have been "helping" people through this process since 2006.  Do what you want?  I and other members here are doing our best to help you.  It is not US you need to convince a 90 year old is going to be an accepted sponsor. You must convince a Consular Officer who understands the totality of circumstances for all involved.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Clobags2510 said:

My husband had his father cosponsor my petition - he was 86 years old at the time - was never an issue 🤷🏻‍♀️

A rare, accurate, response in this thread.  Thank you.  

2 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The word "represented" has a specific meaning, so the answer is ZERO.  I've petitioned a wife and stepdaughter, and have been "helping" people through this process since 2006.  Do what you want?  I and other members here are doing our best to help you.  It is not US you need to convince a 90 year old is going to be an accepted sponsor. You must convince a Consular Officer who understands the totality of circumstances for all involved.

So what consular office will they be visiting here in the U.S.?  

Timeline
9 minutes ago, OrlandoGringo said:

So there are no fixed standards but, rather, USCIS employees have the freedom to approve or reject anyone based on their own personal feelings?

What consular office will one visit if they're already in the U.S.?  

Always a judgment call based on totality of Circumstances, but THIS is a visa case, so USCIS will not be making the decision about sponsorship in this case.  The decision in a visa case is made BEFORE the visa is granted.

Note, we are all presuming this is a visa case, because you posted your question in a spouse visa forum.  Please clarify.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There's no age restriction so you can just go ahead. There's one caveat: 

"The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125% income requirement alone. You cannot combine your income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement.

Edited by aznhouston

3 minutes ago, OrlandoGringo said:

Where did you surmise that this is a "visa" case?  You're completely out of your depth and not worth reading, let alone engaging further.

You posted in the SPOUSE VISA forum, yet you blame others for thinking your case is a visa case?!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

We have all presumed it was a visa case because you posted in a spouse visa forum.  Nevertheless considerations are the same, whether it's USCIS or a Consular Officer.

Yea, so what consular office will one here in the U.S. have to visit to be approved by USCIS?  LOL.  

2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

You posted in the SPOUSE VISA forum, yet you blame others for thinking your case is a visa case?!

The topic is the age of a co-sponsor.  Obviously, many are responding and dispensing completely FALSE information.  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, aznhouston said:

There's no age restriction so you can just go ahead. There's one caveat: 

"The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125% income requirement alone. You cannot combine your income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement.

Thank you for the accurate response, a rarity around here.  

32 minutes ago, OrlandoGringo said:

What do you mean by "maybe"?  I thought you were an immigration law expert dispensing free advice.  

You’re free to hire a lawyer, of course, but here on the forum you get what you pay for. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
34 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

It's a valid consideration, but secondary to the life expectancy issue.

Yes. I guess I’m thinking if the officer was a stickler, they could give them trouble for that. I think it’s an interesting situation and I’ve never thought of that scenario before.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

14 minutes ago, OrlandoGringo said:

The bigger question is, why do you dispense inaccurate information?  

Here we go again, another “I don’t like the answer” translates to shooting the messenger 🙄

Why do you bother asking questions if you only take on board the answers you like? Just go ahead and do what you want 🤷‍♀️ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.