laylalex

18 children, 3 adults killed in Texas elementary school shooting

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

May he, they, and you be comforted among all who mourn.

Amen...

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Agree....until an emergency situation arises.  Should teachers learn CPR?   I think you fail to give teacher the credit they deserve.  I think most can multi-task.  

Yup, in a perfect world we would all just be able to focus on our jobs without having to worry about the unthinkable. In a perfect world we would not have to prepare for disaster, call 911 or deal with medical problems. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
33 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Also had rage issues, self harm, abusive..... ugh. His parents are alive, I'd like to know where their responsibility in all this is? Also grandpa is a convicted felon, and claims he had no idea there were guns in the house.... 

The parents in the recent Michigan school shooting are still in county jail awaiting trial.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Well of course Robert Francis had to make an appearance to politicize the tragedy.

Beto O'Rourke GATECRASHES Texas school shooting press conference and heckles Greg Abbott and Republicans over gun reform before being bundled out and called 'a sick son of a b***h'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10854523/Beto-ORourke-marched-Texas-school-shooting-press-conference.html

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

36 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Well of course Robert Francis had to make an appearance to politicize the tragedy.

Beto O'Rourke GATECRASHES Texas school shooting press conference and heckles Greg Abbott and Republicans over gun reform before being bundled out and called 'a sick son of a b***h'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10854523/Beto-ORourke-marched-Texas-school-shooting-press-conference.html

Wow, Beto did not come off looking good in that situation.  The optics would have been different if Abbott or Patrick were responding to him but when it was the mayor yelling at him it really changed the mood of the moment.  It's not political for the mayor, it's personal, and it really made Beto look small.  

Edited by B_J

38 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Agree....until an emergency situation arises.  Should teachers learn CPR?   I think you fail to give teacher the credit they deserve.  I think most can multi-task.  

Well we've probably talked about this in some of the million other threads that crop up every time something of this nature happens - but I still firmly believe that firearms do not belong in the hands of teachers, I am fine with firearms being in the hands of trained officers on the premise and I believe that we need many other security measures in place that do not seem to have happened here. Officers have also stated that they do not agree with teachers having firearms on the premises, because in an active scenario, things get very dangerously complicated fast. My husband works with teachers every day, and he would tell you that there are some individuals teaching that you would not want even remotely belong having a weapon around your kids... and students that you would not want anywhere remotely near a firearm. If I had children in a school, I would personally not feel comfortable trusting a teacher with a gun around my kids nor would I want those kids to be around it. I'm sorry, I just wouldn't. 

The problems in this case are glaring: he got access to the building despite being in a shootout with cops and then got access to a schoolroom filled with kids. how did he breach into the room, when other shooters typically could not? 

I take the usage of guns very seriously, because the purpose of it is ultimately to maim or kill someone or something. That's one of the reasons why I do not believe young men like this belong obtaining such firearms as easily as he did (where did he have access to a couple thousand dollars, and obtain large amount of ammo?). If we could address how bad people get guns to begin with, perhaps people would feel more comfortable around them. When I lived in the city, gun violence was everywhere. Kids were killed every day. Now that I live in a rural area, guns are everywhere - and frequently I see individuals not treat those guns with respect and participate in unsafe behavior. There are individuals that own guns that are often drunk and violent. I still do not feel safe.

I believe in many cases, parents need to be held responsible for the actions of their kids. I have seen a lot of kids that are ticking timebombs, their parents say that they are shocked and had no clue. Well, I think some people need to get a clue. There are a lot of mentally disturbed and abusive individuals. I believe that laws that enable someone to own a gun with no experience or training is pure stupidity and I believe the bar should be higher for those that are young or have prior issues. It's always the same old story - suspect was known to police, suspect had mental problems, suspect had prior convictions and just slipped through... 

The answer never seems to actually be an answer.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
19 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

but I still firmly believe that firearms do not belong in the hands of teachers,

Should a teacher learn CPR?  "Things get complicated fast"?  LIKE A SHOOTER KILLING CHILDREN AND TEACHERS??????  IT takes a LONG time for officers to respond to an active shooter!!!!     How many kids can be killed in the span of a few minutes???????  People need to use their brains.....

The liberal excuses need to end NOW!!!!!   The lives of children are at risk because "guns don't belong in the hands of teachers"...It is totally illogical.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Well we've probably talked about this in some of the million other threads that crop up every time something of this nature happens - but I still firmly believe that firearms do not belong in the hands of teachers, I am fine with firearms being in the hands of trained officers on the premise and I believe that we need many other security measures in place that do not seem to have happened here. Officers have also stated that they do not agree with teachers having firearms on the premises, because in an active scenario, things get very dangerously complicated fast. My husband works with teachers every day, and he would tell you that there are some individuals teaching that you would not want even remotely belong having a weapon around your kids... and students that you would not want anywhere remotely near a firearm. If I had children in a school, I would personally not feel comfortable trusting a teacher with a gun around my kids nor would I want those kids to be around it. I'm sorry, I just wouldn't. 

The problems in this case are glaring: he got access to the building despite being in a shootout with cops and then got access to a schoolroom filled with kids. how did he breach into the room, when other shooters typically could not? 

I take the usage of guns very seriously, because the purpose of it is ultimately to maim or kill someone or something. That's one of the reasons why I do not believe young men like this belong obtaining such firearms as easily as he did (where did he have access to a couple thousand dollars, and obtain large amount of ammo?). If we could address how bad people get guns to begin with, perhaps people would feel more comfortable around them. When I lived in the city, gun violence was everywhere. Kids were killed every day. Now that I live in a rural area, guns are everywhere - and frequently I see individuals not treat those guns with respect and participate in unsafe behavior. There are individuals that own guns that are often drunk and violent. I still do not feel safe.

I believe in many cases, parents need to be held responsible for the actions of their kids. I have seen a lot of kids that are ticking timebombs, their parents say that they are shocked and had no clue. Well, I think some people need to get a clue. There are a lot of mentally disturbed and abusive individuals. I believe that laws that enable someone to own a gun with no experience or training is pure stupidity and I believe the bar should be higher for those that are young or have prior issues. It's always the same old story - suspect was known to police, suspect had mental problems, suspect had prior convictions and just slipped through... 

The answer never seems to actually be an answer.

Your PERSONAL feelings about guns are irrelevant to this problem...

You can theorize all day long about what parents should do........but what is protecting children's lives RIGHT NOW?????????  As a parent, I would fell MORE comfortable with a teacher having a gun...

"There are individuals that own guns that are often drunk and violent. I still do not feel safe."-  How is that relevant to this conversation?????

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
17 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

and students that you would not want anywhere remotely near a firearm.

That won't be a problem when armed teachers are properly trained. 

I read where one of the teachers died while trying to shield her kids from the shooter.  I really get frustrated when I read that.  The teacher wasn't protecting her kids.  She was merely putting herself in the position where she would die first.  Yes, it is noble and admirable; and she died a hero.  But I imagine a scenario at my school (all teachers imagine these scenarios) where instead of just putting myself in front of them, I was armed and could actually protect them.  Yes, I'm willing to die to protect my kids, but I'd much rather live while making the shooter die.

I understand that not every teacher should be armed but if enough were, it would certainly be better than what we have now.  Imagine if we could defend ourselves instead of just choosing which order we get shot.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, B_J said:

I understand that not every teacher should be armed but if enough were, it would certainly be better than what we have now.  Imagine if we could defend ourselves instead of just choosing which order we get shot.

Agree......but a certain faction in the US will never accept the fact that a firearm in the hands of a properly trained owner is a DEFENSIVE tool.   Their focus is on the tool rather than the user of said tool. It defies all logic and common sense to allow our children to die. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

You can theorize all day long about what parents should do........but what is protecting children's lives RIGHT NOW?????????  As a parent, I would fell MORE comfortable with a teacher having a gun...

"There are individuals that own guns that are often drunk and violent. I still do not feel safe."-  How is that relevant to this conversation?????

So if we have parents that want a teacher to carry a gun, and other parents that do not want that same teacher to carry a gun, what is the answer? Are police that say they do not want teachers carrying guns, in the wrong?

I'm simply trying to say that I grew up in an environment where bad people had quite a lot of guns. Now that I'm older, I'm in a location where there are supposedly plenty of good people with guns, except what I see isn't the best behavior with those guns. I have never felt safe or more secure when someone had a gun - no matter who they are. 

1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

That won't be a problem when armed teachers are properly trained. 

Why do they need training? Texas allows a person to carry without license or any sort of training. I'm glad you want proper training, but the law in Texas says that's not necessary. Weapons are also prohibited in schools in Texas, so even in a state that is very loose on restrictions.. acknowledge a school is not typically a place where guns should be.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
8 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

So if we have parents that want a teacher to carry a gun, and other parents that do not want that same teacher to carry a gun, what is the answer?

What provides the fastest reaction to a threat??

Are police that say they do not want teachers carrying guns, in the wrong?

Not ALL police say that/

I'm simply trying to say that I grew up in an environment where bad people had quite a lot of guns. Now that I'm older, I'm in a location where there are supposedly plenty of good people with guns, except what I see isn't the best behavior with those guns. I have never felt safe or more secure when someone had a gun - no matter who they are.

Ever seen just how many lawful, sane gun owners there are in the US?  Do you feel threatened by them?  Does it make you uncomfortable knowing that there are MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of us?

Why do they need training? Texas allows a person to carry without license or any sort of training. I'm glad you want proper training, but the law in Texas says that's not necessary. Weapons are also prohibited in schools in Texas, so even in a state that is very loose on restrictions.. acknowledge a school is not typically a place where guns should be.

Silly question. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

Really all we need, in Texas, is for schools to use the School Marshal program.  In addition to that, I would like the school marshals to undergo regular training at their campus, during off hours, where they practice strategies, in coordination with local law enforcement, to protect their students. 

https://www.tcole.texas.gov/sites/default/files/documents/school marshal brochure.pdf

Edited by B_J

Timeline

Emotions over logic........it is careless, costly...and even dangerous.

Edited by Crazy Cat