5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I have arrived in the US on my k1 visa and will be getting married soon, but I’ve heard the maiden name to married name change is confusing with all the forms. Is it possible to not change my maiden name to married name until after I get my green card? Will that make it easier so I can put all the forms in my maiden name, then just change my name more down the line, or will that look weird to imigration? Or is it easier to just change my maiden name to married name right after marriage? (Also  I already have my SSN and it is in my maiden name. ) Thank you

Edited by Sophiecheshire
Added tags

*** Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to AOS from K1 Visas forum ***

18 minutes ago, Sophiecheshire said:

Is it possible to not change my maiden name to married name until after I get my green card? Will that make it easier so I can put all the forms in my maiden name, then just change my name more down the line, or will that look weird to imigration? Or is it easier to just change my maiden name to married name right after marriage?

It will not look weird to US immigration if you want to retain your maiden name.  But if you prefer to change to your married name, it will be easier and cheaper to use your married name on your I-485 and other immigration forms.  Just make sure to list your maiden name in the form sections for "Other Names Used".  Then select the SSN options on the I-485 and I-765 forms to get a replacement SSN card with your married name, hopefully.  If the replacement SSN card does not arrive within 1 month of getting EAD or GC in your married name, you may apply for a replacement in person at an SSA office.

If you wait to change your name until after you get your GC, you will need to pay more fees just to replace your GC, or wait years to change your name via the removal of conditions or naturalization process.

1 hour ago, Sophiecheshire said:

Hi, I have arrived in the US on my k1 visa and will be getting married soon, but I’ve heard the maiden name to married name change is confusing with all the forms. Is it possible to not change my maiden name to married name until after I get my green card? Will that make it easier so I can put all the forms in my maiden name, then just change my name more down the line, or will that look weird to imigration? Or is it easier to just change my maiden name to married name right after marriage? (Also  I already have my SSN and it is in my maiden name. ) Thank you

In most states, your marriage certificate can be your official name change.

In California, you can take your marriage certificate to the Social Security Office or DMV to change name.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/1051.htm?rdeLocaleAttr=en

So use the marriage certificate as proof of your new name on the AOS forms.

Keep in mind that as a new K1 arrival, you don't have many names of record yet with SSN being your first one, so it is easier to change names.

But if you wait till later to change names, then you will have more names of record established like SSN, bank, driver's license, deeds, leases, health insurance, etc. and not to mention the AOS forms, etc., which will need name changes.

Edited by EatBulaga

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The first thing to do is get your SSN in your maiden name. Once you get married there are a few ppl who work at SS who think that voids your K1 and a few that some how don't know how to match up your married name and maiden name to get the card in the married name. So for the sake of ease it's better to get the social right away (they may take a bit for it to go through with the checks and all) but way less headaches if you do this first. 

THat is the only confusion with the name changes. If you don't change your name when you fill out all the AOS forms it will cost you an arm and leg to get a new card printed or you have to wait until ROC or Citizenship. Easier to do it now.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, Sophiecheshire said:

Change your name when applying for your greencard so it comes in your married name. It will cost you $540 to to change the name on a greencard later and it will take a long time. I don’t think there is anything confusing about going with the married name immediately. Thousands of K1s do it successfully. Use your current SSN and don’t try to change your name on it until you get a greencard.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.