emmewalle

When to start looking?

14 posts in this topic

When is a good time to start looking for work? What exactly do you need before you are considered 'employable' in the US? I'm waiting for my IL so got lots of time on. my hands; thought I'd get a head start on applications but don't want to start too early where it'd be an issue if I get an offer before my local embassy interview.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
5 minutes ago, emmewalle said:

When is a good time to start looking for work? What exactly do you need before you are considered 'employable' in the US? I'm waiting for my IL so got lots of time on. my hands; thought I'd get a head start on applications but don't want to start too early where it'd be an issue if I get an offer before my local embassy interview.

You can start looking for work whenever you want.  Never too soon to start looking for work.

You can only legally start work when you have a green card.  You are free to look for work before that - remember to be truthful on any applications as they apply to you at the moment you apply.  Don't tell employers that you are a green card holder when you are waiting to immigrate to the US.  Inform them of when you can legally start to work. 

Edited by aaron2020

27 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You can start looking for work whenever you want.  Never too soon to start looking for work.

You can only legally start work when you have a green card.  You are free to look for work before that - remember to be truthful on any applications as they apply to you at the moment you apply.  Don't tell employers that you are a green card holder when you are waiting to immigrate to the US.  Inform them of when you can legally start to work. 

thanks for the info.  someone suggested looking for remote opportunities in the interim that'll allow me to visit my spouse every few weeks (we are a 2h flight apart)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 hour ago, emmewalle said:

thanks for the info.  someone suggested looking for remote opportunities in the interim that'll allow me to visit my spouse every few weeks (we are a 2h flight apart)

Horrible.  Bad idea.

It would illegal for you to work in the US while visiting your spouse.  It would be worse if you were working for a US company or servicing US clients. 

Someone doesn't know US immigration laws.   Someone is suggesting you break US laws and put your immigration visa at risk.

BE CAREFUL. 

Edited by aaron2020

7 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Horrible.  Bad idea.

It would illegal for you to work in the US while visiting your spouse.  It would be worse if you were working for a US company or servicing US clients. 

Someone doesn't know US immigration laws.   Someone is suggesting you break US laws and put your immigration visa at risk.

BE CAREFUL. 

WHAT. Oh gosh, thank God I posted here. Thanks for the info.

I started looking and applying when I had my visa in hand and my flights booked. This way I knew when I would be available for interviews etc. Had a job interview 2-3 days after arriving in the US and started my job 2 weeks later! 👍🏻

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

2 minutes ago, Daphne K said:

I started looking and applying when I had my visa in hand and my flights booked. This way I knew when I would be available for interviews etc. Had a job interview 2-3 days after arriving in the US and started my job 2 weeks later! 👍🏻

That's awesome! Great to hear that.

I'm thinking to follow what you did. I'm afraid if I get an offer I wouldn't be able to do anything about it!

14 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Horrible.  Bad idea.

BE CAREFUL. 

one more thing - does this apply if I visit once a month on a weekend and work a Friday and a Monday from the US?

7 minutes ago, emmewalle said:

one more thing - does this apply if I visit once a month on a weekend and work a Friday and a Monday from the US?

You are not allowed to work on any day of the week

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 hours ago, emmewalle said:

That's awesome! Great to hear that.

I'm thinking to follow what you did. I'm afraid if I get an offer I wouldn't be able to do anything about it!

Many applications are computer checked before they get to a real person.. so it is often difficult to get your resume in front of the HR person as you cannot truthfully say that you are authorized to work in the US until you have entered on your visa   That being said, you've got nothing to lose by applying. Sometimes if you can manage to make contact .. email, phone etc …. with the person doing the hiring , they might be interested enough to pull your application and take a direct look 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Agree with the post above. Many job posts have questionnaires attached to their application and one of the questions is always: "Are you legally authorized to work in the US?" If you apply now, your answer will be no and most likely that means your application will not even be looked at.

My advice: do some heavy networking and get your name out there. Sure, start applying for jobs whenever you want, but use the time you have now to get acquainted with the market. Attend virtual workshops, meet potential employers, talk to people that work in your field to see where the best opportunities are. Consider enrolling in industry-relevant online courses/certificates. References in the US are important and they might come from people you attend courses with, for example. 

20 hours ago, emmewalle said:

You think green cards are only needed for Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays?

On 5/21/2022 at 10:34 PM, Jorgedig said:

You think green cards are only needed for Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays?

LOL! I think most people are not experts on topics, which is why they come here to seek clarifications, but thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.