TVC

Indigent Filipino relatives options

13 posts in this topic

My wifes sisters are 12 and 23. Both would like to come to the usa but the family cannot provide evidence of financial ties to the Philippines as they are very poor. Is there any chance that their very modest house which they do not have a title for would be considered by the visa officer? Is it even worth applying for a J1 or student visa without being able to show financial ties to the Philippines? 

I can provide tax returns to show I can support them in the USA but we have no evidence of their financial ties to the Philippines. Should I just give up? It seems the visa officer will think they will overstay their visa and deny them.

Apart from the ties issue which is clearly a big one, and would almost certainly be raised seeing as your brief post does imply trying to get them here on an indefinite basis:

(1) what specific J1 visa do you think the older sister qualifies for? what type of organization would she be looking at for sponsorship?
(2) you are aware I assume that the only way the 12 year old will get a student visa is if you pay for private school for her?

5 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Apart from the ties issue which is clearly a big one, and would almost certainly be raised seeing as your brief post does imply trying to get them here on an indefinite basis:

(1) what specific J1 visa do you think the older sister qualifies for? what type of organization would she be looking at for sponsorship?
(2) you are aware I assume that the only way the 12 year old will get a student visa is if you pay for private school for her?

1. It was my understanding that if my 23yo SIL enrolled in college in the Philippines  she could get a job in the USA during summer break anywhere as a J1. Perhaps that is incorrect.

2. It was also my understanding that we could wait until my 12yo SIL entered high school and she could get a student visa even for public high school in the USA?  Does it have to be a private school? I may be able to provide tuition for the local Catholic school. Would that suffice?

Edited by TVC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The younger one could only study at a State school for 12 months max, and pay

What are the qualifications of the older one.

Would you not be better spending the money on them locally, much bigger bang for the buck

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Would you not be better spending the money on them locally, much bigger bang for the buck

When you say 12 months max at a state school for the younger one what would she have to pay? If I paid for private school could she stay for 4 years living with us and going to the private school?

The older one has no qualifications really. A couple months as staff at two restaurants and one semester of college.

Edited by TVC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You need to ask the school what their International Student rates are.

Begs the question as to why she now wants to go to college and what she wants to study,

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

23 minutes ago, TVC said:

1. It was my understanding that if my 23yo SIL enrolled in college in the Philippines  she could get a job in the USA during summer break anywhere as a J1. Perhaps that is incorrect.

2. It was also my understanding that we could wait until my 12yo SIL entered high school and she could get a student visa even for public high school in the USA?  Does it have to be a private school? I may be able to provide tuition for the local Catholic school. Would that suffice?

1. I suggest you read up on J visas and what they require 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange.html

2. Student visa for public high school is only available for one year maximum AND you have to pay the full unsubsidized cost for that year even if you live in the area and pay taxes. Any longer than that it needs to be private.  Your local Catholic school is an option if it is SEVIS registered and can provide her with an I20 for the visa.

Please read all sections in the links below carefully to understand what is required.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa/foreign-students-in-public-schools.html

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/guide/f-1/f-1-kindergarten-through-grade-12

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html

:

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Timeline
15 minutes ago, TVC said:

When you say 12 months max at a state school for the younger one what would she have to pay.

The older one has no qualifications really. A couple months as staff at two restaurants and one semester of college.

She would have to pay the full, unsubsidized cost for the year -- varies state to state and school district to school district, but can range from about $3000 to $10,000 for one year.  And, that one year needs to be once she is in high school.  There is no provision for a student visa to attend public elementary school.

Given the limited information you have provided about the family's situation in the Philippines, it seems highly unlikely that the girls would qualify for student visas (or other non-immigrant visas), as it sounds like they would not be able to show strong ties to the Philippines that would ensure they would return home at the end of their studies (i.e., that they would not be able to overcome the assumption of pending immigrant that is required by law).

Edited by jan22

***moved to the Philippines section for country-specific answers***

I agree with @Boiler, a much better route is to get them into the best Philippine schools they qualify for.

That opens up more paths for them and eventually they won't be indigent and dependent on you. 

Edited by Adventine

Filed: Timeline
48 minutes ago, TVC said:

. . .

I believe you are referring to the J-1 Summer Work Travel Program.  The program is meant to be a cultural exchange program for a college student  and has tight restrictions that the individual needs to meet/follow.  

They must be full-time, enrolled post-secondary students actively pursuing a degree, be accepted by one of the J-1 Program Sponsors (that usually have fees attached), and be pre-assigned to a job -- it isn't a matter of just showing up and getting a job anywhere.  The programs only last one to three months.  After paying the costs for the program, the travel costs, and the living costs (it is unlikely that she would be able to live with you given the job placement requirements), she would likely not even break-even for the summer work.  Review the information about the program at https://exchanges.state.gov/ or more general exchange program information at https://exchanges.state.gov/

Edited by jan22

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I agree with this! For the same money in the US they could probably get a top tier education in the Philippines. Besides, not sure I would want them in the American public school system considering the indoctrination going on these days.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Sorry.  Harsh truth.  

The older one is not going to get a student visa.  Age 23 and 1 semester of college.  Work is limited for international students.  It's going to cost $20,000 a year for community college.  How is she planning on paying for that when she can't work?

The 12 years old would need to go to a private school.  Do you have $20,000 to $40,000 a year?  

As you said.  Your sisters are very poor.  School in the US for foreign students cost a lot.  This is where the hope of so many people who want to bring their family to the US for an education.  Sorry.  

Agreeing with most of the others that it probably makes more sense for you to pay for them to go to a quality school in the Philippines.  Many of us have already paid for our relatives to go to school.  You can pay for them to get a good education all the way through college that will lead to them becoming independent adults and it will easier and much cheaper than trying to get them an education here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.