trliber

Confused by Husband's I797C NOA Receipt #s

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hello,

We were married in October (K1) and submitted applications for adjustment of status, work permit, advance parole and received NOA/I-797C for each of them. The receipt number for all of them starts with IOE which means digital/electronic processing I read on some attorney's websites. It says on the bottom of each I-797C that the USCIS office is "National Benefits Center". I'm just trying to get more information to see if we've done something wrong. He was called to and attended the biometrics appointment at the local office in December, and we haven't heard anything after that. When using the tracking feature on USCIS website, it just says "Actively Reviewing" for each document/application.

I'm getting paranoid and the stress he is experiencing at having no ability to work or travel to see his family is becoming very hard for him psychologically. Sorry if this is answered elsewhere; just hoping to get answers and make sure we did everything right and haven't missed something.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 minutes ago, trliber said:

I'm getting paranoid and the stress he is experiencing at having no ability to work or travel to see his family is becoming very hard for him psychologically. Sorry if this is answered elsewhere; just hoping to get answers and make sure we did everything right and haven't missed something.

Unfortunately initial EADs are now taking a year or more.  Advance Parole longer.  It is unlikely you did anything to cause these delays.  

Yes most K-1s experience with your husband does. I know of couples waiting 3 years 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

...It is unlikely you did anything to cause these delays.  

Yes most K-1s experience with your husband does. I know of couples waiting 3 years 

Wow, hard to 'like' this type of update, but at least I feel more at ease knowing we've seemingly done everything right. Obviously, hope to hear something from them soon, but we'll see. Thanks for your help.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Misscloud said:

...9 months until her combo card and dead silence. no GC in near future yet. 

Yes, the 'dead silence' piece is what is killing him especially. The government of his home country (Korea) is not federal and highly efficient (such documentation would take merely days for their govt to process) so he is really struggling with this. Thanks for the info.

3 minutes ago, trliber said:

Yes, the 'dead silence' piece is what is killing him especially. The government of his home country (Korea) is not federal and highly efficient (such documentation would take merely days for their govt to process) so he is really struggling with this. Thanks for the info.

hang in there. my i-130 was filed november 2020. no approval yet

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
8 minutes ago, trliber said:

Wow, hard to 'like' this type of update, but at least I feel more at ease knowing we've seemingly done everything right. Obviously, hope to hear something from them soon, but we'll see. Thanks for your help.

This is the down side of the K-1 route. 

You can litigate I-765 and I-131: it takes 30 minutes to adjudicate and at least a day to defend in litigation.  USCIS would prefer the former.  Writ of Mandamus 

I765 and I131 are processed and issued by the NBC.

I485 is previewed for completeness at the NBC and then transferred to your local field office. 

You can look up both timelines on the website. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello. We are in the same situation as you. My husband came on k1 visa in june. We married august and submit all documents in september. We didnt hear anything from anyone after biometrics in november. Ive tried to update with emma twice and she was useless saying its still pending. I tried to go through senator then they started asking questions if I fit the requirements for expediting so I just let it go and stopped checking the tracker app everyday to only check every 3 days. When I checked again last week, it said card was produced. He received his combo card on Saturday. It was very unexpected. Its weird how they are doing things. A friend in another state(ohio) applied after us in october and got greencard in april where as another friend in neighboring state applied before all of us in august has nothing yet. 🤦🏾‍♀️ 

On 5/10/2022 at 2:45 AM, trliber said:

The efficiency in Korea is definitely something I will miss after I leave. 

I can walk in to the immigration center 1 month before my visa expires. I hand in my papers and if they need anything extra I can run to another government center and get the required document. If the realize I don't have all the documents they allow me to FAX IT as soon as they realize and my status is intact!

Cold comfort: Your husband is applying for permanent residency. If he researches F6 visas in Korea (totally dependent on spouse, have to renew every year or every 3 years depending on mood of office- lose F6 status if you divorce).

And LPR status- long KIIP process and tests that kept on getting canceled during COVID. HE might feel better...

Get your husband connected to Korean communities. Go to Costco and get my favorite kimchi! So many Koreans are in the same position and feeling the pain.   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.