Steve & Erma

PH vs US Marriage/ CR1 vs K1

23 posts in this topic

Ok the more I read the more options are thrown in my face and I want to know which would be the best route. Obviously the time factor is something nobody can predict but we want to be together as soon as we can. Here is the info...

Me - US Citizen (Divorced) living in Northern Idaho

Her - Philippine Citizen (Widow)

Trip planned for 9/12/2022 - 10/05/2022

When I started researching this I thought the K1 was the way to go but I am seeing a lot of people mention the CR1 being a better option. I get the not having to wait to work, no change in status, cheaper, etc with the CR1 but is the time really going to happen as quick? It seems to me from what I have read the K1 can be faster in as little as 1 year (saw a timeline at the beginning of 2020 that was done in a year) but the CR1 process is a longer process and could last up to 2-3 years (or am I off on that?). I hear the Manila consulate is really backed up for visa interviews so it can take extra time there, an interview is needed for the CR1 as well correct?

With the CR1 you have 2 options it seems, getting married in the Philippines or doing the Utah County zoom marriage. I realize I cannot start the CR1 process until after our meeting. I am good with either option but is there an advantage to a US versus Philippine marriage? Is a Philippines marriage held is good regards with the USCIS? Is there advantages to a US vs PH marriage?

I think I have asked all the questions I have as I have stared at this post for the last 30 mins... Thanks in advance for any help.

Texas Service Center
Consulate: Manila
Marriage: 09/14/2022

I-130 Sent: 09/29/2022
I-130 NOA1: 10/14/2022 
I-129F Sent: 10/10/2022, REC 10/20/2022
I-129F NOA1: 10/25/2022

I-130 NOA2: 8/31/23

1 hour ago, Steve B said:

Ok the more I read the more options are thrown in my face and I want to know which would be the best route. Obviously the time factor is something nobody can predict but we want to be together as soon as we can. Here is the info...

Me - US Citizen (Divorced) living in Northern Idaho

Her - Philippine Citizen (Widow)

When I started researching this I thought the K1 was the way to go but I am seeing a lot of people mention the CR1 being a better option. I get the not having to wait to work, no change in status, cheaper, etc with the CR1 but is the time really going to happen as quick? It seems to me from what I have read the K1 can be faster in as little as 1 year (saw a timeline at the beginning of 2020 that was done in a year) but the CR1 process is a longer process and could last up to 2-3 years (or am I off on that?). I hear the Manila consulate is really backed up for visa interviews so it can take extra time there, an interview is needed for the CR1 as well correct?

With the CR1 you have 2 options it seems, getting married in the Philippines or doing the Utah County zoom marriage. I realize I cannot start the CR1 process until after our meeting. I am good with either option but is there an advantage to a US versus Philippine marriage? Is a Philippines marriage held is good regards with the USCIS? Is there advantages to a US vs PH marriage?

I think I have asked all the questions I have as I have stared at this post for the last 30 mins... Thanks in advance for any help.

I won't answer questions about Philippines but K1 isn't really a lot faster than CR1/IR1 right now. 

Currently, at USCIS they are working on petitions filed in March 2021/ April 2021. So, if things do not speed up or slow down you will be waiting a year after filing the K1 before it moves NVC to await the transfer to Manila for interview. (I'm not sure what the waiting time is for that currently or what it will be in the future). 

With CR1/IR1- USCIS timeline is anywhere between 3-12 months (sometimes longer). You then have the petition move to NVC and that takes about 2-3 months. If you do not have any RFEs you wait for the interview letter. There is no backlog for CR1/IR1 interviews at Manila although... some members have been waiting since December 2021 to get an interview. 

You can look at timelines out of Manila based on VJ user data for K1 here:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?op6=All&op66=All&op7=Philippines&op1=3&op2=&op3=1&op4=1&op5=5%2C6%2C8%2C10%2C11%2C13%2C14%2C15%2C16%2C17%2C18%2C20%2C21%2C22%2C25%2C26%2C27%2C28%2C108%2C110%2C111%2C208%2C210%2C211&cfl=

And timelines for CR1/IR1 here: 

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?op6=All&op66=All&op7=Philippines&op1=3&op2=&dfile=No&op3=5&op4=1&op5=5%2C6%2C8%2C10%2C11%2C13%2C14%2C15%2C16%2C17%2C18%2C20%2C21%2C22%2C25%2C26%2C27%2C28%2C108%2C110%2C111%2C208%2C210%2C211&cfl=0

No one can predict the future. K1s might speed up or slow down. IR1/CR1s on average take 1.5- 2 years... 

Hopefully someone else can tell you about Utah vs PH marriage. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Philippines vs Utah your choice. USCIS only cares that you’re legally married. 

Getting married on that trip may be a sporty timeline. For the marriage license you’ll need at least a document from the embassy that you are free to marry (forgot the exact name as it was 8 years ago). Bring your divorce decree, though they never asked for it for me.  You can schedule an appointment at the embassy to get it, there’s a fee, I think $50 when I got mine. 

There was also a 10 day wait for the license once we filed. Church wedding would likely add more time than you have.  We had the mayor do our wedding. 

Utah Zoom may be far easier for you given your time with boots on ground. 

swing by the Philippines section for better answers. 

Edited by jskibo

***Moved to the Philippines regional forum for country-specific answers***

2 weeks is cutting it close for a traditional Philippine wedding with the old-school paperwork. Forget it if you want a typical big church wedding+reception+honeymoon which typically needs to be organized months in advance.

A Utah Zoom wedding while you are both together in the Philippines will be equally valid for US immigration. 

Edited by Adventine

If this helps, we just got our interview letter.  It took 7 months for the I-130 to get processed.  It took 6 months (with 1 RFE) for the NVC stage.  It took almost 4 months between DQ and Interview Letter.  Add 6 weeks for the embassy/interview stage.  This is not including extra time it took me to prepare everything to submit for the various stages.  It was an uncomplicated CR1 application (with rapidvisa assistance) for US Citizen spouse.   Some people get their I-130 done faster, 4-7 months is the norm.  First part of NVC stage should take 1-3 months normally.    I think you're looking at an unexpedited total time for CR1 of 9-18 months IF you are on the ball with all of your documents and submit promptly.  For the Philippines, K1 should be even longer, because there is such a backlog because the Fiance visa interviews weren't done at all by the Manila Embassy/Consulate during most of the pandemic.  In the beginning, you are going to have to wait some number of months, possibly 2-6 months if memory serves me right, for your PSA marriage certificate to finally arrive before you can file the I-130.  It took about 4 months for us.   But maybe that Utah zoom wedding would work faster.  I think other US states also have online marriages. 

Edited by Steve2022
adding more info

11 hours ago, Steve B said:

Have you met in person prior to this or will it be your first meeting?

1 hour ago, RO_AH said:

Have you met in person prior to this or will it be your first meeting?

This will be our first in person meeting

Texas Service Center

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Agreed with Talako, unless you have been around with Filipino or Filipina, you probably dont even know the difference,  then slow down and smell the roses. 
If you happened to take cr1 route, might as well do it via zoom. Do not attempt to get married in the Phils. google marrying in phils procedures.  

Good luck to you. This site is awesome to ask questions.  

2 hours ago, Steve & Erma said:

This will be our first in person meeting

As others have said, I will say the same. If you are not familiar with the culture there you should not jump into this. If you are, then it's on you to decide the speed.

If you do decide to get married there 3 weeks is about how long it takes. I really don't recommend it though if it's your first time meeting.

@Steve & Erma I am a Filipina and I agree with all the US citizens here who are advising you to slow down and not to rush into marriage.

When I first started dating my now-husband, even though I had a tourist visa at the time and could freely visit the US, I insisted that we live together in the Philippines first before getting married or joining finances. I wanted to get to know him better before committing. I also wanted him to understand Filipino culture.

We were up front with each other: I wanted to be sure he wasn't in love with the "docile young Filipina" stereotype and he wanted to be sure I wasn't just in it for the green card ;)

Also, we both had assets in our own names to protect before jumping into mafriage.

It is a big red flag if someone (from any culture) agrees to get married without meeting in person first. 

Tread carefully and just get to know this girl in person first before committing.

3 minutes ago, Adventine said:

@Steve & Erma I am a Filipina and I agree with all the US citizens here who are advising you to slow down and not to rush into marriage.

When I first started dating my now-husband, even though I had a tourist visa at the time and could freely visit the US, I insisted that we live together in the Philippines first before getting married or joining finances. I wanted to get to know him better before committing. I also wanted him to understand Filipino culture.

We were up front with each other: I wanted to be sure he wasn't in love with the "docile young Filipina" stereotype and he wanted to be sure I wasn't just in it for the green card ;)

Also, we both had assets in our own names to protect before jumping into mafriage.

It is a big red flag if someone (from any culture) agrees to get married without meeting in person first. 

Tread carefully and just get to know this girl in person first before committing.

Did you live together in the Philippines first @Adventine?

And what length of time do you suggest a couple spend together in the Philippines before taking that step towards moving to the US? 

@Talako, @GinoNiña, @flicks1998, @RO_AH, @Adventine

I do appreciate all of your concerns. I am familiar with the Filipino culture as I have learned from my Filipina sister in law who is married to my brother who spent many years there. So I am not going into this blind with no idea. Besides that I have spoken to many Filipina ladies over the last 10+ years to get a great understanding of the good and bad parts of the culture. I also sponsor a child there whom I communicate frequently.

Erma and I are very much in love and know that we want to spend the rest of our lives together. I know almost everything about her life and she knows just as much about mine. We are very open with one another and truly are committed to working at our relationship to the betterment of it. Neither of us has a problem talking to the other about anything that may be bothering us and we are committed to working on things together in those instances.

I am currently just trying to figure out the best way to get us together here in the US. My goal is to get all of the paperwork together and printed out prior to my trip so I can send it off as soon as I return so we get it processed that much faster.

Texas Service Center

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.