Steve & Erma

PH vs US Marriage/ CR1 vs K1

23 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Steve & Erma said:

It seems to me from what I have read the K1 can be faster in as little as 1 year (saw a timeline at the beginning of 2020 that was done in a year) but the CR1 process is a longer process and could last up to 2-3 years (or am I off on that?).

You are off on that. My CR1 took 3 years but that's because we had the slowest processing center of all (Nebraska) and then when it finally made it ti the embassy we had Covid. If not for those 2 things it would have been much faster. With the K1 there is still a backlog and you would have to get in the back of the line. They did not process K1's for about 2 years but were still doing CR1's. You can't file either until you meet so if you are determined then you might as well get married there on your trip. You could also do Utah wedding but you still can't file until you have met. If you do get married there take a LOT of pictures with you together with her and her family. Since you will have only been together once you need to have as much evidence as possible to prove you have a real relationship. I just recently posted what you will need to get married in the Philippines. I will paste it here.

My advice is this, PLEASE FOLLOW IT as it will save you from any mistakes. Have her go to her LCR because every place has different policies and procedures in the Philippines. Find out EXACTLY all requirements so that you can plan accordingly. Most importantly find out if there is any expedited process for them to file and process your PSA registration. Most LCR's will expedite the process for a fee.You will need the PSA marriage certificate before you can file for a CR-1.

This thread is very helpful, as it discusses a similar situation my fiance and I are dealing with.  We filed a I129f recently (I went to see her in February, right after Phils re-opened) and we have a March 11, 2022 acceptance date. The wait caused by the backlog is so long, and depressing... California processing center delay looks as though they won't even pick up and start ours for at least one solid year.

We could try getting married in the Philippines in June, or maybe the Utah zoom wedding thing is easier.  (And quicker it sounds like.) Some background info - we have known each other for seven years, we are both mature; and children, family considerations, finances, travel time and expense are not factors.  We just want to finally get married and the pandemic lockdown pushed us back two solid years.

What's the quickest way to get her here? Is it a spousal visa?  If it's quicker, I'm happy to ditch the I-129f application.  I'm not sure what some the TLA's here mean (Three Letter Acronym) so plain language would be helpful...

Thank you in advance, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Edited by juezentexas
correction

5 hours ago, juezentexas said:

I'm not sure what some the TLA's here mean (Three Letter Acronym) so plain language would be helpful...

Many of them if they are in the system will pop up if you hover over them.

As far as the what is the quickest way to get her here... I think it is a ####### shoot either way at this points because K1 visas are in such a backlog for interviews from the Manila consulate that the CR1 is working at about the same amount of time. As far as the time frame in the states at the service centers I think they are all backed up.

But I am new to all this so hopefully some of the other more experienced can answer with more info.

Good Luck

Texas Service Center
Consulate: Manila
Marriage: 09/14/2022

I-130 Sent: 09/29/2022
I-130 NOA1: 10/14/2022 
I-129F Sent: 10/10/2022, REC 10/20/2022
I-129F NOA1: 10/25/2022

I-130 NOA2: 8/31/23

4 hours ago, Steve & Erma said:

But I am new to all this so hopefully some of the other more experienced can answer with more info.

You have some of the most experienced who have already posted in here. No one can give you exact information because no one knows. All we can do is guess. You have never met in person so neither visa can be started until that happens. So it comes down to which you believe will be faster if you want speed. Or if you want the benefits of CR1 go that route. My guess is they will be about the same speed give or take 5-6 months. The time difference is not enough in my opinion to sway you so if it were me I would go the spousal route. But you chose what's best for you.

5 hours ago, RO_AH said:

You have some of the most experienced who have already posted in here. No one can give you exact information because no one knows. All we can do is guess. You have never met in person so neither visa can be started until that happens. So it comes down to which you believe will be faster if you want speed. Or if you want the benefits of CR1 go that route. My guess is they will be about the same speed give or take 5-6 months. The time difference is not enough in my opinion to sway you so if it were me I would go the spousal route. But you chose what's best for you.

Since @juezentexas was asking about switching from K1 to CR1 and all we talked about here he should probably stay with what he has at this point even with the backlog.

@juezentexas you should set up your timeline here so others can use your info to see time frames. Also does it tell you that it is being processed through Cali?

Edited by Steve & Erma

Texas Service Center
Consulate: Manila
Marriage: 09/14/2022

I-130 Sent: 09/29/2022
I-130 NOA1: 10/14/2022 
I-129F Sent: 10/10/2022, REC 10/20/2022
I-129F NOA1: 10/25/2022

I-130 NOA2: 8/31/23

Follow up here:

Yes, our I129f is at the California Service Center.  And it's showing 10-13 months processing time.  And it has that other information that basically says 'don't bother checking on your application for at least one year' inquiry date of March 2021.

She and I have met many times over the past seven years; we do know each other well. 

With all of your advice here and also with reading some other forum topics here, it does seem as though getting married through Utah County, Utah and switching to spouse visa would be quickest. We could get married "online" next month. We already have a trip planned to St. Tropez for a friend's wedding in the middle of June, so that would meet the 'consummate the marriage' requirement.  And as soon as I returned from France in June, I could file a spousal visa application.

Edited by juezentexas
correction

Even though you have a Filipina sister in law your first trip should be just to get to know your intended and the Philippines in general. Just like dating in the US you will be able to feel if you are comfortable together or not. Do not gloss over any uncomfortable feelings you may have once you meet in person. Falling in love on Skype (or equivalent) is much different than making a go of it in real life. My wife and I were K-1. We met 5 times in the Philippines in an 18 month period before she came here. I understand not everyone can do that. But, I would never recommend basing a long term commitment on just one meeting. Whatever you decide...Good Luck.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Well this topic pulled me out of the shadows. Long time lurker. Many people here helped me complete the process problem free. Well almost complete. Waiting on interview notice but according to report we are few months away from interview. Looking at 1.5 year wait time for our cr-1. 

I would like to comment on the getting married in the Philippines timing. Maybe some other places take longer but excluding the little preparation of my asawa going to city week prior for a couple documents. I flew into Philippines, stopped off at cebu for a document... Flew into iloilo picked up documents that were ready from week prior and bought wedding dress, food ect. Went to province to prepare everything for ceremony and do marriage counseling. Talking 5 days of work in reality of which most was preparation for ceremony and party. Just find out what ya need and plan ahead. Really pretty easy from my experience at province I got married at.

The worst part is the marriage certificate. Double check information and push for expedite right away.

The problem these guys are warning you about is real. About 6 years ago I fell for a girl from Angeles city. Dumb... I spent a year living in Angeles with her. Thought I knew her but took that long for the costume to fall off. Funny enough the girl I married was at the party when I proposed to my first gf in the province. More to this story but getting off topic. Thanks to the help of a flower lady from big city I tracked down my asawa a year later. Married her with only spending days with her. In conclusion, the problem these guys warn of is real. My first Philippines relationship is proof why you don't do this. Was a snake hiding in the shadows. With that being said I then got married to my asawa with days together. It was a requirement of her parents for them to give blessing to us traveling Asia for few years. Something special from the moment we met so I went forward with it.

So really no perfect answer here as each situation is different from my experience. Where she live? What her history? Ect. I would think a few days together in person should be a minimum.

As for the timing on k-1 or cr-1. We was at embassy yesterday for our daughter crba. Talked to 4 different girls. It all seemed to back up reports here. K-1 interview wait much longer and cr-1 much shorter. I don't think there is a concrete system for these interviews as many people here got dq after my asawa(3/10) and already have interview date. Overall, if I was starting new I'd choose to get married in Philippines again. Just stay away from Potomac service center. One of those places are like a fourth the processing time

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.