2,967 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 7/29/2022 at 5:53 PM, Pinkrlion said:

Question:  Looking at filing for parents when I obtain Citizenship, they are in their late 70's - 80's.  If I fill out the I-864W, does it matter the income I have?  Does anyone think that VAWA gives us specific previlages when filing for family?

To sponsor your parents you will file form I-864 and it does  matter the income you have ok.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Good day Family,

I did an e-request for a service outside of the normal processing time yesterday and noticed my I-485 has moved from VSC to MSC based on the last 3 letters on the reference. I just want to find out from people with similar experiences how long it normally takes from here to the local office for final processing. Thank you.

15 minutes ago, Royal Seed said:

Good day Family,

I did an e-request for a service outside of the normal processing time yesterday and noticed my I-485 has moved from VSC to MSC based on the last 3 letters on the reference. I just want to find out from people with similar experiences how long it normally takes from here to the local office for final processing. Thank you.

Mine took over 4 months.

It moved to the local office immediately after a congressional inquiry.

19 minutes ago, Royal Seed said:

Good day Family,

Mine took around 2 months. It arrived at MSC end of December and was moved to my local office on March 1st, 2022. I'm a March 2019 VAWA applicant but my I-485 was filled in 2017. I sent an email to my congressperson and I believe her inquiry definitely helped speed up the case

1 hour ago, nebula88 said:

Mine took around 2 months. It arrived at MSC end of December and was moved to my local office on March 1st, 2022. I'm a March 2019 VAWA applicant but my I-485 was filled in 2017. I sent an email to my congressperson and I believe her inquiry definitely helped speed up the case

Thank you so much. I am also a 2017 filler, and I am still waiting for a response from my congressman inquiry. If i may ask again, have you been interviewed, and do you have your GC now?

1 hour ago, Zzz___1 said:

Mine took over 4 months.

It moved to the local office immediately after a congressional inquiry.

Thank you for the information. Have you gone for an interview now or did they waive your interview?

2 minutes ago, Royal Seed said:

Thank you so much. I am also a 2017 filler, and I am still waiting for a response from my congressman inquiry. If i may ask again, have you been interviewed, and do you have your GC now?

I haven't been interviewed yet, a couple of weeks ago I received an RFE for my medicals. Hopefully, my interview will be waived 🙏

It's been a really long wait for us, I know how difficult this situation is but I believe our journey is coming to an end soon - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

⚠️ How to respond to RFE with no new evidence? (VAWA I-360)

Hi everyone. I just joined this forum. I hope I can summarize this as briefly as possible. 

My attorney just forwarded me the RFE letter from USCIS. According to this, there's very little evidence about my marriage and that I was abused.

The RFE might have been triggered because my attorney requested an expedite for my EAD (work authorization). I'm currently on a leave of absence from work.

My VAWA case was submitted sometime in January 2020.

Here are some bullet points from the RFE:

• "You did not submit sufficient evidence to establish your eligibility under the self-petitioning provisions of the Violence Against Women Act"
  • USCIS notes that Marriage certificate and restraining order was submitted "however, it does not provide evidence that marriage was entered in good faith"
  • Joint tax return from the past 4 years were submitted but apparently there's no evidence that tax return was filed with the IRS 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Requesting more evidence such as joint lease, rental agreement, insurance policies, utility, bank statement etc., and more evidence for extreme cruelty and battery.

In the past, we lived for about 3 years at/with her parents so there was no rent agreement or utility bills. I did submit a lot of bank statements, car insurance, joint bank account, internet provider etc. For the restraining oder I did describe the abuse back then at court to get the TRO. I had photo evidence of my injury.

Overall the marriage has been very messy and I tried to get as much evidence as possible but it was very difficult since my wife had most of the documents at her place.

Now my attorney says that "we have some evidence that we can use". But is that enough?

I've moved on long time from my past but every time I receive such a notice from the USCIS it always scares me and all I have is deportation in my head. Any advice would be great.

In another immigration community forum I people suggested me to get a psychological immigration evaluation. I wonder if this still makes sense for addition evidence when the abuse happened years ago.

Appreciate all the response

24 minutes ago, DavisC said:

Hi everyone. I just joined this forum. I hope I can summarize this as briefly as possible. 

My attorney just forwarded me the RFE letter from USCIS. According to this, there's very little evidence about my marriage and that I was abused.

The RFE might have been triggered because my attorney requested an expedite for my EAD (work authorization). I'm currently on a leave of absence from work.

• "You did not submit sufficient evidence to establish your eligibility under the self-petitioning provisions of the Violence Against Women Act"
  • USCIS notes that Marriage certificate and restraining order was submitted "however, it does not provide evidence that marriage was entered in good faith"
  • Joint tax return from the past 4 years were submitted but apparently there's no evidence that tax return was filed with the IRS 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Requesting more evidence such as joint lease, rental agreement, insurance policies, utility, bank statement etc., and more evidence for extreme cruelty and battery.

In the past, we lived for about 3 years at/with her parents so there was no rent agreement or utility bills. I did submit a lot of bank statements, car insurance, joint bank account, internet provider etc. For the restraining oder I did describe the abuse back then at court to get the TRO. I had photo evidence of my injury.

Overall the marriage has been very messy and I tried to get as much evidence as possible but it was very difficult since my wife had most of the documents at her place.

Now my attorney says that "we have some evidence that we can use". But is that enough?

I've moved on long time from my past but every time I receive such a notice from the USCIS it always scares me and all I have is deportation in my head. Any advice would be great.

In another immigration community forum I people suggested me to get a psychological immigration evaluation. I wonder if this still makes sense for addition evidence when the abuse happened years ago.

Hi,

I’ve had a pretty tough bona-fide RFE, so I can chime in on that part.

What can help is writing a new affidavit that covers your relationship story from the beginning to end by adding more details. Be as descriptive as possible but stay to the point. You can also ask your friends to write affidavits if they have witnessed your relationship. The affidavits must prove that you got married because you loved your spouse and wanted to spend the rest of your lives together.

write a separate document explaining 1 by 1 why you don’t have some things that they are asking you for. “We did not have a joint lease because .. We did not have a bank account together because.. xyz “ If you can explain it here, you can explain it to USCIS

Edited by Zzz___1

51 minutes ago, nebula88 said:

I haven't been interviewed yet, a couple of weeks ago I received an RFE for my medicals. Hopefully, my interview will be waived 🙏

It's been a really long wait for us, I know how difficult this situation is but I believe our journey is coming to an end soon - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

If your RFE is from the local office, there is all indication that your interview would be waived. I wish you all the best and hope the journey will end very soon.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
31 minutes ago, DavisC said:

Request tax transcripts from IRS

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

56 minutes ago, Zzz___1 said:

I haven’t heard back from them yet. 
Planning on inquiring again shortly. 

I hope they will answer you soon. I have been waiting since 2017 for i-485 but my i-360 was since 2018 and it got approved in April this year. I cannot wait any longer and I pray God makes it happen sooner than later.

6 minutes ago, Royal Seed said:

I hope they will answer you soon. I have been waiting since 2017 for i-485 but my i-360 was since 2018 and it got approved in April this year. I cannot wait any longer and I pray God makes it happen sooner than later.

Thank you. I was just telling another member of this forum the other day about how painful the waiting is..So much stress and uncertainty.

Well, we are one step closer than we were yesterday :) Good news are coming. Wish you all the best! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.