2,967 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Ozy7 said:

Can you guys share some updates? It’s been 19 months and still nothing except “fees waived “:((

is it a good sign since they did not ask any rfe? I already got 2 prima facie.

Vawa usually takes longer than 19 months, so you might have another 6 mo worth of waiting time or more.

the fact that they haven’t asked you for an RFE does not mean much. It simply means that they don’t need anything from you at this point. They might send you an RFE later or they might not. Hopefully, they will be able to approve your case without any RFEs. You just have to wait a little bit. 

Edited by Zzz___1

15 minutes ago, Hope4me said:

Hello fam, 

My attorney just shocked me with news of an RFE  that was due on July 1. I have one question - is it over for my VAWA application (been waiting since Feb 2020)?

Not necessarily.

What is the reason your attorney did not/ could not reach you when attorneys office first received RFE

What are the dates of RFE ( issue date and how many days were you given to respond )? 

What does RFE ask for? 

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Just now, Family said:

Thanks for your prompt response.

The letter was dated April 5 so she could have received it say around mid April.

She says it is my responsibility to reach out to her (which I have always done).

The deadline to respond was July 1 (6 days ago).

RFE for:

i. Not completely filing the petition (USCIS mentioned the parts left unfilled by the attorney)

ii. Proof of absolute divorce from prior marriage.

iii. Proof of abuse or extreme cruelty

iv. Proof of cohabitation

v. Proof of marriage entered into with genuine intention

I have the divorce decree from my previous marriage. Also, I have psych eval from a Psychiatrist plus I attended several therapy sessions when I was really messed up emotionally plus prescription for medication which I was on from my partial hospitalization with Medstar Hospitals. I have a US soldier friend who visited my spouse and I constantly with his family (wife and kids) during our marriage. I  have bank statements, insurance policies, tax documents in our name and address. Finally, we have a child together that I pay child support for currently as we have since been divorced.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Hope4me said:

When did you get divorced?  Do you have the items that the RFE is asking for you to submit?  You can still send it into USCIS.

https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/uscis-extends-flexibility-for-responding-to-agency-requests-1

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

When did you get divorced?  Do you have the items that the RFE is asking for you to submit?  You can still send it into USCIS.

https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/uscis-extends-flexibility-for-responding-to-agency-requests-1

Divorce was finalized in March 2020. I have all the items in the RFE.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Just now, Hope4me said:

Divorce was finalized in March 2020. I have all the items in the RFE.

If I were you, I would get it all sent in by this weekend, as extension ends on July 25th.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

36 minutes ago, Hope4me said:

The letter was dated April 5 so she could have received it say around mid April.

She says it is my responsibility to reach out to her (which I have always done).

The deadline to respond was July 1 (6 days ago).

RFE for:

i. Not completely filing the petition (USCIS mentioned the parts left unfilled by the attorney)

ii. Proof of absolute divorce from prior marriage.

iii. Proof of abuse or extreme cruelty

iv. Proof of cohabitation

v. Proof of marriage entered into with genuine intention

I have the divorce decree from my previous marriage. Also, I have psych eval from a Psychiatrist plus I attended several therapy sessions when I was really messed up emotionally plus prescription for medication which I was on from my partial hospitalization with Medstar Hospitals. I have a US soldier friend who visited my spouse and I constantly with his family (wife and kids) during our marriage. I  have bank statements, insurance policies, tax documents in our name and address. Finally, we have a child together that I pay child support for currently as we have since been divorced

First and foremost, your attorney has a legal obligation to contact and inform you of an RFE and deadline, so if they had your tel number and address , that is accomplished by a quick phone call w a voicemail and mailing you a copy of the RFE , to the address attorney has on record for you. 

Immediately try sending an email or letter to your attorney asking why you did not get any notice from their office regarding RFE and deadline ( this is so you have proof of the BS response they gave you) AND directly ask them HOW they advise you to proceed . Any response or no response ( in writing via email or letter , will help you in the long run) .

By the looks of it , attorney made some errors/ left blanks on app / form , itself , and your RFE effectively asks that you address EACH point as if you are pleading your case now ( so go through fine comb what evidence originally submitted and respond to how it validates your claim ..plus add/ supplement  a few things to each category, example how does hospitalization at Medstar tie in to abuse, if any friends / family witnessed abuse get a letter stating so. …

At issue here is that you MUST respond to the RFE , with or without your attorney’s help . 

Timeline
Just now, Pinkrlion said:

If I were you, I would get it all sent in by this weekend, as extension ends on July 25th.  

That actually is my plan. Having read previous threads here for so long, I am confident I can handle it. I do not intend to let my attorney handle this anymore, she has proven to be incompetent. Thanks for that link, I am less tense.

1 hour ago, Hope4me said:

Hello fam, 

My attorney just shocked me with news of an RFE  that was due on July 1. I have one question - is it over for my VAWA application (been waiting since Feb 2020)?

In this process, an RFE is one of those things. You don't have to worry about your VAWA application is over. Wait for the RFE and respond to them with their demand and your approval will come before you know it.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It's time for stress relief, courtesy of Wednesday's Semiofficial Semiweekly VAWA-Thread Joke:

====================================================
ST. PETER AND THE POLITICIANS

St. Peter was standing at the pearly gates of Heaven when a group of politicians walked up.

"Hey, Petey -- may we come in to Heaven?" asked one jovially.

St. Peter replied, "Well, we have never had a group of politicians come in to Heaven before; let me ask God."

St. Peter turned around and went to consult God.  "Lord, there is a group of politicians at the Pearly Gates of Heaven.  Should I let them in?"

God thought for a moment and said, "We have never had politicians in Heaven before.  Let's see how it goes.  Let them in."

St. Peter left God, only to come running back a few minutes later.  "THEY'RE GONE!" he said.

"The politicians?" asked God.

"No -- THE PEARLY GATES!"

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

10 hours ago, Hope4me said:

The matter is not over. 

Do as @Pinkrlion said and send your response as soon as possible.

Tackle any issues one by one with some written explanations. 

If you do it well, your case will be approved. 

Your attorney attitude is very wrong. He has the obligation to inform you of any updates on your case,  not talking more of an RFE...for he surely has your email or your phone number. 

Edited by Rhema1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi all, 

My C9 EAD and AP renewal is pending since I filed in February 2021. The initial C9 expired in June 2021. I have C31 EAD since nov 2021. I submitted an out of normal processing time inquiry online for the C9 EAD renewal petition last week and this is what I saw on the USCIS egov case status website yesterday: 

• 07/05/2022
    sign_icon.png

On July 5, 2022, your inquiry about why your case is taking longer than our processing time, referral number SRXXXXXXVSC, was completed.

• 07/05/2022
    sign_icon.png

On July 5, 2022, we sent a response to your inquiry about why your case is taking longer than our processing time, referral number SRXXXXXXVSC.

• 07/05/2022
    sign_icon.png

On July 5, 2022, your inquiry about why your case is taking longer than our processing time, referral number SRXXXXXXVSC, was assigned to an officer for response.

Does anyone know what this means? Of course my lawyer and I have not received any communication from USCIS. I am hoping to get my C9 EAD/AP combo before the C31 expires in November this year. In other news I also submitted an out of normal processing time inquiry through my local senator for my I485 this week. 

Divorced US citizen spouse in December 2017. 

Filed I-360 on Nov 12, 2019

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

Amended EAD petition to C9 and filed expedite request for same in mid-may 2020. 

C9 EAD approved June 4, 2020. 

Biometrics done in Oct 2020. 

I485 case transferred to NBC for "faster processing" on September 30, 2020

Filed C9 EAD / AP Renewal petition in February 2021. 

Initial Advance Parole (from Feb 2020 application) approved in June 2021. 

C31 EAD production update - Nov 1st, 2021. 

C31 card delivered to attorney's office on Nov 8, 2021. 

I-360 case approved status update - Nov 22, 2021. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

C9 EAD / AP renewal approval case update on both cases on July 21, 2022.

Combo card delivered to attorney's office on July 27, 2022

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/26/22: Case update on I485: New Card Is Being Produced

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.