frankniehs

Flying Back with AP - Which Airports Are Immigration Friendly?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi

Planning a travel outside the US and back with my US spouse with advanced parole document.

1- Wanted to know how is your experience with the immigration officers at the airports (especially. NYC, Atlanta, Boston, DC)?

2- Shall we split me and my spouse when joining the. queue ( US citizens vs non US citizens) or we stay in one queue?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
3 hours ago, frankniehs said:

Hi

Planning a travel outside the US and back with my US spouse with advanced parole document.

1- Wanted to know how is your experience with the immigration officers at the airports (especially. NYC, Atlanta, Boston, DC)? Nobody is going to eat you. Take it easy.

2- Shall we split me and my spouse when joining the. queue ( US citizens vs non US citizens) or we stay in one queue? Yes. However, your spouse can join you and get processed on the non- USC queue 

Thanks

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Timona said:

Yeah, when my wife was traveling with an expired GC and extension letter, I would join her in the immigrant line myself.

As to what airports to use, it really depends on the specific CBP officer you get at the airport you enter.  I tend to avoid NYC and Boston not because of anything CBP related, I just hate dealing with the airspace in the NE and particularly JFK/EWR/LGA.  ATL and DC can be very busy, but are easier to get around.  Take your pick, there is no perfect POE.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

we came thru JFK on a green card for one trip (together) and lines were long but it went smooth

Atlanta now comes into the new international terminal and u have to catch the shuttle bus to main terminal with all your luggage (long ride)  to get where outside transportation is 

Atlanta site says 3 minute shuttle ride (don't believe it)

DC is always under construction and changes the process accordingly

Boston in winter is always iffy because of weather

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 1/27/2022 at 2:24 AM, frankniehs said:

2- Shall we split me and my spouse when joining the. queue ( US citizens vs non US citizens) or we stay in one queue?

Stay together in the non citizen line.  Otherwise the  CBP officer will ask the AP holder why the holder is not traveling with the spouse.  The expectation is that marriage based AP has couples traveling together.  The exception of the AP holder traveling to the country of citizenship is ok.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 minutes ago, saraa88 said:

Anyone have experience traveling with AP in a preclearance airport like Dublin?

My wife did AP at Abu Dhabi 

It was the best experience of the three times she used AP: no secondary.  She was in and out in 10 minutes.   

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.