30 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! 
I guess ill start off by introducing myself, my name is Angelique. I’ll be 30 in April. I have a son and pregnant with my second. My fiancé and i were originally going to do the CR1 visa, BUT since my passport has my married name from my previous married (which i did the CR1 visa with back in 2013 i believe it was,  separated in 2015, and divorced in 2019) I never changed my name back to my maiden name, so that was our issue with getting married while I’m here in the Dominican Republic, so we will just do the K1 and hope for the best,  As I’m filling out his paperwork, i have a few (maybe a more than a few questions) 

Firstly, Will i need to change my last name back to my maiden? Along with my passport and such? 

Here’s a few questions from the 1-129f form.
I’m a little confused about where to include my information and where to include his information. 

Part one is for me, (petitioner) correct?
for my parents, my father isn’t in my life? Should i still put what I know about him? I really dont know much about him. 

Since i was previously married where can i go to get proof of name change? Do i have to get a certain type of document from the social security office? 

The next part “Additional Information” (about petitioner right?)
48. I do have a son, with the beneficiary. 6 month old, so i marked yes, and in 49a i put 6 months? Is that okay? We dont have any other children with anyone else. 

Part 2 (about my beneficiary) 
it asks for his address, if he doesn’t have an address in the USA, do i just put his address where he lives now in his country? OR can i put my address there for the United States address? 

for his passport, does he need to get his passport before we send in the 1-129f? It’s asking for his passport number and such, he doesn’t have one yet, 

Consular Processing Information
What do i put here?

Part 4 Biographic information. 
Is this part for the petitioner or beneficiary? 

Is this all i need for the packet i send? 
payment of $535 with check or money order
1-129f form
Birth Certificate and passport of Petitioner
Birth certificate of ‘beneficiary translated (do these need to be legalized and apostilled?) 
Proof of relationship such as photos, letters from friends and family (from both parts, the beneficiary’s will be translated) plane tickets, passport stamps. Anything else? Can i add our sons birth certificate in there too? 
My divorce decree
Passport photos of both

I was also reading that we need letters of intent from both parties to marry? What do we need to do for that? 

I may end up having more questions but as this is already so long, I’d be lucky if anyone responds!!

Thank you in advance! 

Angelique, Wildy and Eider. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

do not need to change your last name unless u want to but when it is easier for schools ,  etc when children have same name as the parent 

father -name and address if u know it

his address in his home country / he is not living here yet

no,  needs passport for the interview 

fee for K1 is $460 not $535

letters from friends hold little to no weight

u need passport stamps to show u visited 

copy of boarding passes of each visit to be together

photos together (20 dont overload this)

translations can be done by anyone good in both languages / not apostilled

letters of intent to marry/  just write a simple statement saying u intend to marry within the 90 days of entry to the US with approval of K1 visa

and sign it with black ink

one of these for each of u

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
7 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

fee for K1 is $460 not $535

Fee is still $535, see here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Timeline
47 minutes ago, LosAzcona said:

I was also reading that we need letters of intent from both parties to marry? What do we need to do for that? 

Tried editing my comment to include this but unfortunately could not. Regarding the Letter of Intent, it's my understanding it can be one document, so long as the document is written from both beneficiary/petitioner (affirming both's intent to marry) and signed by both. There are several examples of such letters online. At least, that's what we did because we were physically in each other's presence when filling it out. The norm seems to be to just send two, but per the I-129F instructions evidence can include "statements of intent to marry signed by both you and your fiancee," which, to me, seems to put more emphasis on there just being two signatures present. 

Edited by slavaskii

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
21 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

Fee is still $535, see here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

sorry 

i looked it up and saw $460

so very sorry

57 minutes ago, LosAzcona said:

Firstly, Will i need to change my last name back to my maiden? Along with my passport and such? 

Up to you. You are able to legally change it through divorce, I guess you did not. Whatever your legal name is it doesn't matter as long as that's the name you file with. My ex wife chose to keep my last name because it was more of a pain to try and change everything and she had my last name for more of her life than her birth name.

As for you, if you get remarried you could just wait and change it through marriage or keep what you have now.

36 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

Tried editing my comment to include this but unfortunately could not. Regarding the Letter of Intent, it's my understanding it can be one document, so long as the document is written from both beneficiary/petitioner (affirming both's intent to marry) and signed by both. There are several examples of such letters online. At least, that's what we did because we were physically in each other's presence when filling it out. The norm seems to be to just send two, but per the I-129F instructions evidence can include "statements of intent to marry signed by both you and your fiancee," which, to me, seems to put more emphasis on there just being two signatures present. 

Can we write it all in English? Or does he have to write it in his native language and then translate it after? 

2 minutes ago, LosAzcona said:

My fiance is driving me crazy. He literally won't listen to me. Do we NEED a lawyer? 

No. Waste of time and money. VJ will do you much better and it’s free and more accurate 

2 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

No. Waste of time and money. VJ will do you much better and it’s free and more accurate 

That's what I figured but he's listening to everyone else. I'm literally laying it all out in front of him. Everything I'm researching I'm explaining. But since one of his friends used a lawyer he's going crazy about using a lawyer I told him it's not needed. This isn't rocket science. 

1 minute ago, LosAzcona said:

That's what I figured but he's listening to everyone else. I'm literally laying it all out in front of him. Everything I'm researching I'm explaining. But since one of his friends used a lawyer he's going crazy about using a lawyer I told him it's not needed. This isn't rocket science. 

If he wants to foot the bill for the lawyer he can knock himself out. Otherwise you’re the petitioner and this is YOUR petition. I can’t tell you how many times people come running and crying to VJ because their lawyer messed up (many times on some BASIC stuff) and it caused them a lot of problems. 

Edited by powerpuff

1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

If he wants to foot the bill for the lawyer he can knock himself out. Otherwise you’re the petitioner and this is YOUR petition. I can’t tell you how many times people come running and crying to VJ because their lawyer messed up (many times on some BASIC stuff) and it caused them a lot of problems. 

Lol that's true! 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, LosAzcona said:

Can we write it all in English? Or does he have to write it in his native language and then translate it after? 

NAL of course, but if he speaks English I don't see the problem of having his in English even if his native language is something different. Nonetheless I'll defer to other VJ posters on the Letter requirements, as they most certainly have seen more than me and I haven't even gotten NOA2 yet :)

Also seconded powerpuff on the lawyer deal. I think most people (rationally) go into this process assuming a lawyer is 100% critical, but the K-1 is literally just filling out forms and showing the officer why you want to marry your foreign fiancee. Imho, this is the visa to do yourself, as only you know your relationship. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

NAL of course, but if he speaks English I don't see the problem of having his in English even if his native language is something different. Nonetheless I'll defer to other VJ posters on the Letter requirements, as they most certainly have seen more than me and I haven't even gotten NOA2 yet :)

Also seconded powerpuff on the lawyer deal. I think most people (rationally) go into this process assuming a lawyer is 100% critical, but the K-1 is literally just filling out forms and showing the officer why you want to marry your foreign fiancee. Imho, this is the visa to do yourself, as only you know your relationship. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I'll definitely get him to write it in his NAL then! Translating it won't be an issue! 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, LosAzcona said:

Thank you so much! I'll definitely get him to write it in his NAL then! Translating it won't be an issue! 

Hahahah no, I meant NAL as "not a lawyer" - sorry :) I meant in fact to imply that so long as he speaks English, I can't see why it wouldn't be fine for his statement to be in English and thus save the time. After all, the letter is not required to be notarized or anything. On this particular point, I'd just prefer if someone could give a second opinion below. I think the vast, vast majority of filers have had the statements in complete English. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.