Nylonnig

Congressperson or Senator Assistance with Expediting

41 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Daisy.Chain said:

Also (question for others, not necessarily OP!) can congressmen and women expedite this process? I thought they could ask for status updates only..otherwise wouldn't they be barraged with expedite requests and accused of favoritism?

Correct.  Their purview is to assist their constituents with federal agencies (USCIS, DOS, IRS etc).  In my experience and observations, the extent of that is to make inquiries when a response from a federal agency is beyond a published or 'usual' waiting time.  Trying to influence an actual decision (yes/no), or expedite a decision would indeed be unfair if that assistance was not available to everyone.

Perhaps when there is a national interest exception precedent (say for example, helping expedite Afghan refugee documents) they would assist further, but the vast majority of VJ members seeking this do not have cases like that.

17 hours ago, Nylonnig said:

Hello! happy New Year!

I am looking to expedite i-130 for humanitarian reasons for an elective surgery, therefore my lawyer has asked that I approach a member of office where I live to see if they can assist.

For Petitioners in the USA, has anyone been successful in getting a congressperson or senator to assist with expediting their case?

If yes, what was the process you went through to make contact with your local office and the outcome of the expedition?

Thanks in Advance

why havent you asked USCIS to expedite your i-130.  you can google for the process. congressmen and senator have no authority over USCIS 

duh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I understand your situation, but, while a C- section is not elective, getting pregnant is an election.

Expedites for health reasons are granted when the USC needs care. If I remember correctly, last one I saw here was from a USC that needed foot surgery; and needed help getting around after the surgery. You’re not a USC. I’ll find the post , but there is a pinned thread somewhere that pregnancy is not a reason to expedite (especially when it is planned like yours!)

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Couple of things to consider but check these with the immigration lawyer first.  My USC wife filed the I-130 for me as the beneficiary online in Apr 21 and it is stuck at the California Service Centre.  We are moving to the US for a number of reasons, one of which is that her US employer has asked her to move back from the UK to the US.  We tried to expedite through USCIS last summer but our request to expedite was rejected without any formal response from USCIS.  We subsequently contacted her local (just outside Atlanta, GA) Representative and my wife completed a standard form (they get a lot of these) that was pushed through the Congressional USCIS Liaison Officer.  All we got back was a readout of why USCIS rejected the request to expedite.  The Congressional - Senator or Representative - route is worth trying, particularly if your lawyer suggests it.  However, to get something through USCIS quickly you will, as others have said, have to have a valid reason (in accordance with the USCIS manual) and evidence of it.

It may be worth looking at whether you have grounds to file direct with the London Consulate and submit a parallel I-130 through them. However, we took some advice from a senior Atlanta-based immigration attorney this week who basically told us to sit on our hands for a bit - the system is jammed up and will take time to un-jam. Her advice (contrary to some of what I have read on VJ) is that K3s are a non-starter.  Frustrating, but there it is!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Roberty Rob said:

Couple of things to consider but check these with the immigration lawyer first.  My USC wife filed the I-130 for me as the beneficiary online in Apr 21 and it is stuck at the California Service Centre.  We are moving to the US for a number of reasons, one of which is that her US employer has asked her to move back from the UK to the US.  We tried to expedite through USCIS last summer but our request to expedite was rejected without any formal response from USCIS.  We subsequently contacted her local (just outside Atlanta, GA) Representative and my wife completed a standard form (they get a lot of these) that was pushed through the Congressional USCIS Liaison Officer.  All we got back was a readout of why USCIS rejected the request to expedite.  The Congressional - Senator or Representative - route is worth trying, particularly if your lawyer suggests it.  However, to get something through USCIS quickly you will, as others have said, have to have a valid reason (in accordance with the USCIS manual) and evidence of it.

It may be worth looking at whether you have grounds to file direct with the London Consulate and submit a parallel I-130 through them. However, we took some advice from a senior Atlanta-based immigration attorney this week who basically told us to sit on our hands for a bit - the system is jammed up and will take time to un-jam. Her advice (contrary to some of what I have read on VJ) is that K3s are a non-starter.  Frustrating, but there it is!

She has no basis to file through London

Every time I have seen a K3 mentioned, not applicable here,  the reality has been addressed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

6 hours ago, igoyougoduke said:

why havent you asked USCIS to expedite your i-130.  you can google for the process. congressmen and senator have no authority over USCIS 

I know the process to expedite. I haven’t requested it yet as my lawyer said to present the case to local rep or senator and see if they will support it to give more weight to the request as it is an elective health issue. 

I was trying to find out whether anyone had been successful in going down this route that is all. 

Will wait and see happens. It’s worth a shot. Best case they say yes, worst case they say no and we look at our options. Only way you find out is to try!

3 hours ago, Roberty Rob said:

Thanks for the info. I am Atlanta based and would be good to follow your progress. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 1/14/2022 at 10:56 AM, Nylonnig said:

Hello! happy New Year!

I am looking to expedite i-130 for humanitarian reasons for an elective surgery, therefore my lawyer has asked that I approach a member of office where I live to see if they can assist.

For Petitioners in the USA, has anyone been successful in getting a congressperson or senator to assist with expediting their case?

If yes, what was the process you went through to make contact with your local office and the outcome of the expedition?

Thanks in Advance

I have, please go down my profile, I explained my steps from start to finish there. Best of luck

On 1/15/2022 at 5:26 AM, Roberty Rob said:

It may be worth looking at whether you have grounds to file direct with the London Consulate and submit a parallel I-130 through them.

She does not.  She is not a USC, nor is she living and working in England.  DCF exists for exceptional circumstances only, and she does not meet those.

Hello, 

I went  through my Senator for an expedite and I was approved but now we are in administrative processing which they  say there is no way to expedite. They have very specific guidelines under which you can apply for an expedite. life or death situations, financial hardship and I think one more. If you go on the the website they will tell you the guidelines under which you can apply. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.