Nylonnig

Congressperson or Senator Assistance with Expediting

41 posts in this topic

Hello! happy New Year!

I am looking to expedite i-130 for humanitarian reasons for an elective surgery, therefore my lawyer has asked that I approach a member of office where I live to see if they can assist.

For Petitioners in the USA, has anyone been successful in getting a congressperson or senator to assist with expediting their case?

If yes, what was the process you went through to make contact with your local office and the outcome of the expedition?

Thanks in Advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not sure this counts but I went through my senator for my citizenship path (see my timeline). 

I found an e-mail address online for my senator, e-mailed the situation, the sent me a release form and they got to work.

However, if the surgery is elective then does that qualify for an expedite?

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Nylonnig said:

For Petitioners in the USA, has anyone been successful in getting a congressperson or senator to assist with expediting their case?

Yes, all three times I reached out to my local senators - they were able to assist me.

Pick an office you'd like to request assistance from, go to their website, and there usually will be a separate section for assistance with a federal office -> USCIS, and you'll find the way to reach out there. Sometimes you just fill out the form online, sometimes you have to mail it in with your signature. Depends on the office.

Timeline:

Spoiler

AOS Journey:

Spoiler

08/19/2016 - day 0 - I-485, I-130, I-765 sent to USCIS office in Chicago (PD: 08/23/2016)

08/31/2016 - day 9 - electronic NOAs received via text and email, check is cashed.

09/08/2016 - day 17 - biometrics appointment notice received in the mail (appointment date 09/19/2016).

09/13/2016 - day 22 - early biometrics walk in.

10/28/2016 - day 67 - EAD status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

11/16/2016 - day 87 - EAD card received in mail.

06/27/2017 - day 309 - contacted the congressman office.

07/28/2017 - day 340 - finally received an interview appointment in mail (online status has not changed).

08/31/2017 - day 374 - Interview; I-485 status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'

09/08/2017 - day 382 - greencard received in mail

I-751 & N400 Journey:

Spoiler

06/20/2019 - day 1036 - ROC packet mailed (PD: 06/21/2019)

06/29/2019 - day 1045 - NOA/Extension letter received in the mail (new GC expiration date is 2/28/2021)

01/17/2020 - day 1256 - biometrics appointment

06/03/2020 - day 1382 - N400 filed online (PD: 06/04/2020)

02/01/2021 - day 1626 - Biometric Reuse notice uploaded to my online account

02/08/2021 - day 1634 - Interview Appointment notice uploaded to my online account

03/16/2021 - day 1670 - N400 Interview - passed; due to I-751 stuck in another office 'No decision can be made at this time'

06/01/2021 - day 1747 - with help of Sen. Sanders' office, I-751 file finally forwarded to St. Albans field office

06/28/2021 - day 1774 - I-751 status changed to 'New Card is Being Produced'; N400 status changed to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'

08/19/2021 - day 1826 (exactly 5 years since day 0) - Oath Ceremony (notice received on 7/19/21)

7 minutes ago, canadian_wife said:

I am not sure this counts but I went through my senator for my citizenship path (see my timeline). 

I found an e-mail address online for my senator, e-mailed the situation, the sent me a release form and they got to work.

However, if the surgery is elective then does that qualify for an expedite?

Good luck 

Thanks for your response.

have history of medical issues, surgeries and procedures which has meant that my husband and I require IVF to conceive. We were fortunate enough to have had a daughter who is now 2 years old, after 2 years and 3 rounds of IVF. We would like to grow our family and we were advised due to difficulties I have during pregnancy and with giving birth, to wait 18-24 months before we conceive again (our daughter is now 2years 5 months).

We are both in our mid 40s, given our age and the fact that we do not know how long the IVF process would take, we recognize that time isn’t on our side and would like to start the process ASAP. Even if we could do the IVF process remotely, it is not a possibility to go through the pregnancy and birth on my own given my health – I had a difficult pregnancy with our daughter and I had to have a classical c-section to deliver, which takes weeks of recovery.

This would be deemed as elective, hence why my lawyer suggested getting congress or senate assistance. I am really hoping someone can help!

3 minutes ago, .yana said:

Yes, all three times I reached out to my local senators - they were able to assist me.

Pick an office you'd like to request assistance from, go to their website, and there usually will be a separate section for assistance with a federal office -> USCIS, and you'll find the way to reach out there. Sometimes you just fill out the form online, sometimes you have to mail it in with your signature. Depends on the office.

Thank you. I am in the Atlanta area. Can I approach all 3 reps or it is only the one that covers my exact address.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Congress or Senator Office is just a route to seek an expedite, you still need the basis for a positive response.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Congress or Senator Office is just a route to seek an expedite, you still need the basis for a positive response.

Thanks for your response. I am not sure if there are any hard and fast rules for the basis. We are at Vermont Service Centre which has a current processing time of 24-31 months. It is such a long time and will be too late for us to try for a baby. It is causing me so much anxiety, I am willing to try everything possible 🙏

Timeline

Pretty vague and inevitably subjective. I have seen cases approved I would expect to be denied and vice versa.

I do not know your history but it seems like you have recently applied, may need to address why that was the case.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

40 minutes ago, Nylonnig said:

Hello! happy New Year!

I am looking to expedite i-130 for humanitarian reasons for an elective surgery, therefore my lawyer has asked that I approach a member of office where I live to see if they can assist.

If yes, what was the process you went through to make contact with your local office and the outcome of the expedition?

Thanks in Advance

I would very much doubt that an expedite for elective IVF for the beneficiary would be accepted as an expedite, even if for some reason a member of congress/senate decides to assist (they usually do not for expedites - just to make routine inquiries on cases that are outside normal processing time).

It is free to try, though.

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Pretty vague and inevitably subjective. I have seen cases approved I would expect to be denied and vice versa.

I do not know your history but it seems like you have recently applied, may need to address why that was the case.

We applied in September 2021. We were living in the UK where we met and I moved back to the US in July 2021, think we could do an adjustment of status for my husband on his ESTA but we were notified by a lawyer that that would only be possible if I were a citizen. We were very naïve!

3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I would very much doubt that an expedite for elective IVF for the beneficiary would be accepted as an expedite, even if for some reason a member of congress/senate decides to assist (they usually do not for expedites - just to make routine inquiries on cases that are outside normal processing time).

It is free to try, though.

Thanks for the response. It is the Petitioner (me) that requires the elective IVF.

Like you said, it is worth a try 🙏

Timeline

Plenty of people adjust from VWP, we have a forum for it, but that is now water under the bridge.

I might mention you moved back when you did.

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but when we were waiting for approval after getting married, it took longer than the processing time so I contacted both of my state's senators and received canned responses from their offices.  I walked into my congress-woman's local office and spoke to her staff, and they were on the case within hours - we were approved 2 days later.

Marriage : 2009-06-30

CSC: 155 days

I-130: 2009-10-01

NOA1: 2009-10-15

NOA2: 2010-03-05

I-129F: 2009-10-16

NOA1: 2009-10-23

NOA2: 2010-03-05

NVC: 60 days

Case #: 2010-03-11

AOS Paid: 2010-03-15

IV Bill Paid: 2010-03-24

Package Sent: 2010-03-29

AVR says received: 2010-04-02

RFE: 2010-04-13

Sign in Fail: 2010-05-10

CONSULATE: 17 days

Medical: 2010-06-04

Interview: 2010-06-15 - APPROVED!

Visa rcv'd: 2010-06-21

POE: 2010-06-29 LAX (286 Days from when we started this whole mess!)

CSC- ROC

Mailed 2012-06-05

NOA1 2012-06-07

Biometrics 2012-07-16

RFE 2013-02-06

20 minutes ago, Nylonnig said:

Thanks for the response. It is the Petitioner (me) that requires the elective IVF.

Like you said, it is worth a try 🙏

You're not a USC?  If you and your spouse are both British citizens, why not do it there?

1 minute ago, Christi and Ian said:

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but when we were waiting for approval after getting married, it took longer than the processing time so I contacted both of my state's senators and received canned responses from their offices.  I walked into my congress-woman's local office and spoke to her staff, and they were on the case within hours - we were approved 2 days later.

1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

You're not a USC?  If you and your spouse are both British citizens, why not do it there?

No I am an LPR. We were given wrong advise by a lawyer who told us we could adjust status on an ESTA so I moved as I have a job here. Several lawyers then told us that we could only adjust my husbands status on VWP if I was a USC. LPR cannot do so for their spouse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.