BOKURAGAITA

90 days?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance just arrived from the Philippines yesterday..I'm using her account here. When does the 90 days begin exactly? Who's keeping track of when we're married? Who do we notify after we've complied with their rules and we're married within the 90 days? She was approved for her visa December 23 and received it January 6 but it's already going to expire on March 17. Why is it going to expire less than 3 months after being approved? Does her visa validity have anything to do with her medical? Will her visa validity dictate how soon we are to get married or is it still 90 days after... being approved, receiving her visa or arriving in America? Any accurate information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by BOKURAGAITA

90 days after entry, the K1 visa is now void.

You MUST marry before her I-94 expires and file for adjustment of status after you get the marriage certificate.

Also, you need to apply for SSN as soon as possible and add her to your healthcare plan.

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

1 hour ago, BOKURAGAITA said:

My fiance just arrived from the Philippines yesterday..I'm using her account here. When does the 90 days begin exactly? Who's keeping track of when we're married? Who do we notify after we've complied with their rules and we're married within the 90 days? She was approved for her visa December 23 and received it January 6 but it's already going to expire on March 17. Why is it going to expire less than 3 months after being approved? Does her visa validity have anything to do with her medical? Will her visa validity dictate how soon we are to get married or is it still 90 days after... being approved, receiving her visa or arriving in America? Any accurate information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Have you tried looking at the stamp in her passport?  You agreed to marry within 90 days of her arrival to the US.  Do that.

9 hours ago, BOKURAGAITA said:

Who do we notify after we've complied with their rules and we're married within the 90 days?

You and your wife-to-be will notify USCIS when she files for her adjustment of status (AOS).  The marriage certificate and her latest I-94 record must be submitted.  Those documents will tell USCIS if you two complied with the terms of her K1 visa to marry within 90 days of her US entry.  Download the I-94 from the CBP website -- https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search

9 hours ago, BOKURAGAITA said:

Why is it going to expire less than 3 months after being approved? Does her visa validity have anything to do with her medical?

The visa validity is directly tied to the medical exam date.  Because your wife-to-be had to go through sputum testing, Department of State policy set her visa expiry date to only 3 months after the medical results release date.  But, as others have mentioned, the visa expiry date is irrelevant nowK1 visa is a single-entry visa, so it was voided the moment it was used to enter the US.  What matters now is the date on the I-94 record.

If your wife-to-be does not have SSN yet, I strongly recommend booking an SSA appointment ASAP so she can apply, as @Talako said.  As a K1 visa holder, she is eligible to apply only until day 76 of her US entry.  If she does not receive her SSN within that short window, you will need to wait for her EAD work permit or her green card before she gets her SSN.

Edited by Chancy
clarification

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
46 minutes ago, CovidSucks21 said:

Has booking an SSA appointment been timely since it's covid time nowadays?  Just wondering. 

Should not be a problem to get in to see someone in SS office.

4 hours ago, CovidSucks21 said:

Has booking an SSA appointment been timely since it's covid time nowadays?  Just wondering.

They set an appt for us less than a week from when I called but I am sure that it depends on your local office

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.