RamonGomez

Name TYPO on I-797 NOA for ROC

54 posts in this topic

Timeline

I sent my stepdaughter's I-751 last week and got a text a few days ago that her case was accepted. I just saw in our USPS informed delivery that her I-797 NOA is arriving today, a week later. But they spelled her first name wrong!! I checked the I-751 and I spelled it correctly. I looks like a lowercase 'q' was replaced with a g. Also the packet had a copy of her green card so I do see how they could've botched this.

There is a tool for e-Requests and I noticed that one of the options in the dropdown is Notices. Has anyone tried to use this tool before? Would they be able to re-issue the I-797? Are there any other options that we have? We're really frustrated with this!!!

Happened to me and it was a huge hassle. I made a few different tries to put a service request in through the USCIS Live Chat. Time went on, nothing happened. A new tier 1 agent would take the request, and time would go on, nothing.

In the end I called the Service Center, they scheduled a call from Tier 2 agent. Even he was unsure what to do, because he thought he can’t have the NBC send me a new letter. So he scheduled me an Infopass appointment. Once I had that appointment, the rude lady told me I did not qualify for her precious ADIT stamp. She made a call to the National Benefits Center, and in the end they sent me another extension letter with correct spelling. But it was such a waste of time to have to travel there and back for nothing.

Once I got the biometrics appointment letter, it too had my last name misspelled. I mentioned it to the contractor who took my biometrics, and he added the correct spelling of my name as an alias.

The interview letter had the correct spelling, but I still made sure to double-check with the interviewing officer that my name was correct in the system. I was anxious waiting for the 10-year green card, thinking they would mess that up, too.

Surely not the first-hand experience you want to hear, but such a mess for something that was USCIS error to begin with.

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Locito said:

Happened to me and it was a huge hassle. I made a few different tries to put a service request in through the USCIS Live Chat. Time went on, nothing happened. A new tier 1 agent would take the request, and time would go on, nothing.

In the end I called the Service Center, they scheduled a call from Tier 2 agent. Even he was unsure what to do, because he thought he can’t have the NBC send me a new letter. So he scheduled me an Infopass appointment. Once I had that appointment, the rude lady told me I did not qualify for her precious ADIT stamp. She made a call to the National Benefits Center, and in the end they sent me another extension letter with correct spelling. But it was such a waste of time to have to travel there and back for nothing.

Once I got the biometrics appointment letter, it too had my last name misspelled. I mentioned it to the contractor who took my biometrics, and he added the correct spelling of my name as an alias.

The interview letter had the correct spelling, but I still made sure to double-check with the interviewing officer that my name was correct in the system. I was anxious waiting for the 10-year green card, thinking they would mess that up, too.

Surely not the first-hand experience you want to hear, but such a mess for something that was USCIS error to begin with.

Thanks for sharing. I figured it wouldn't be trivial.

I did just put in an e-Request for a typo and supposedly they should get back to me within 3 weeks. The one service request I put in a few years ago actually did work for a green card that never got mailed, but it took more like 2 months. So I'll at least give it one try before calling USCIS.  It really sucks that this letter is also the extension for the 2-year-card. I still can't believe how a one-letter typo can cause so much havoc and be so difficult to fix. The US federal government should just subcontract out the IT infrastructure and all logistics to Amazon or Google because this is a disgrace.  Like, could they not verify what they typed against the A# number? Or just look up the applicant based on the A# rather than typing things in manually?

Edited by RamonGomez

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I’m going through the same thing right now. I went on their website as requested and filled the form and I was told they’d get back to me on December 21 but I still haven’t heard anything from them.  They gave me a whole new first name. From Mira to Taira. I don’t know what to do now. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, Mira T said:

I’m going through the same thing right now. I went on their website as requested and filled the form and I was told they’d get back to me on December 21 but I still haven’t heard anything from them.  They gave me a whole new first name. From Mira to Taira. I don’t know what to do now. 

Sorry to hear you're going through the same thing. Please let me know if you manage to solve this problem somehow (I'll do the same). GOod luck

Timeline
5 hours ago, RamonGomez said:

Sorry to hear you're going through the same thing. Please let me know if you manage to solve this problem somehow (I'll do the same). GOod luck

Thanks! I’ll keep you posted. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I had the same thing happened end July 2021. I submitted a E-request early August. The first time they did not come back to me after the time they said they would. I then submitted a second E-request, and that worked. They even replied to say that I've already made a first request. Subsequently I received I-797 for Removing Conditions and biometrics NOA with the right spelling in October and November 2021.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, KLgirl said:

I had the same thing happened end July 2021. I submitted a E-request early August. The first time they did not come back to me after the time they said they would. I then submitted a second E-request, and that worked. They even replied to say that I've already made a first request. Subsequently I received I-797 for Removing Conditions and biometrics NOA with the right spelling in October and November 2021.

That is excellent to hear. I haven't heard anything on the first e-request, but I submitted it mid-December right before the holidays. I'll try submitting another one if I don't hear anything by mid-January. After that I'll call USCIS. 

The one e-request I submitted in early 2020 did work (though it took 4 months rather than the 4 weeks that they estimated). Fortunately we don't have a pressing need to travel but I'd still like to have this just in case.

Thanks for sharing!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, RamonGomez said:

That is excellent to hear. I haven't heard anything on the first e-request, but I submitted it mid-December right before the holidays. I'll try submitting another one if I don't hear anything by mid-January. After that I'll call USCIS. 

The one e-request I submitted in early 2020 did work (though it took 4 months rather than the 4 weeks that they estimated). Fortunately we don't have a pressing need to travel but I'd still like to have this just in case.

Thanks for sharing!

You are welcome, you can also check the status of your case here

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/mycasestatus.do

I was thinking for the sake of having some data points, how did you guys who ended up with a typo on file, fill your I-751 forms? Did you fill it with computer and then print out the PDF or just write on the forms by hand?

I was going to type the forms on computer, and then print them, but for whatever reason I changed my mind thinking, “My handwriting’s pretty legible”…apparently overestimating USCIS in the process 😳

You would think that that even if they utilize machine-based text recognition, SOMEONE actually checks that the applicant’s/petitioner’s name matches with the name on file/under the A number. I guess not… 🤦🏼‍♂️

Edited by Locito

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Locito said:

I was thinking for the sake of having some data points, how did you guys who ended up with a typo on file, fill your I-751 forms? Did you fill it with computer and then print out the PDF or just write on the forms by hand?

I was going to type the forms on computer, and then print them, but for whatever reason I changed my mind thinking, “My handwriting’s pretty legible”…apparently overestimating USCIS in the process 😳

You would think that that even if they utilize machine-based text recognition, SOMEONE actually checks that the applicant’s/petitioner’s name matches with the name on file/under the A number. I guess not… 🤦🏼‍♂️

I typed the application and printed it out. However, a 'q' somehow got turned into a 'g' on the I751 receipt, which doesn't seem impossible if someone is quickly typing. It's pretty obvious they are doing this by hand.  I probably should've type in all caps. 

Everything on the I751 was correct, and they even get a photocopy of the conditional green card, which has the name spelled out in all caps.

Edited by RamonGomez

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I sent a letter to potomac service center and USCIS called me today. I have been scheduled for an info pass appointment to get my passport stamped while waiting for them to send me a notice with my correct name. I just checked my case status and this is what it says 

03DC4024-84FD-4792-80CE-2EBFCABC99FF.png

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Mira T said:

I sent a letter to potomac service center and USCIS called me today. I have been scheduled for an info pass appointment to get my passport stamped while waiting for them to send me a notice with my correct name. I just checked my case status and this is what it says 

03DC4024-84FD-4792-80CE-2EBFCABC99FF.png

Thanks for sharing this. I have now filled out two service requests. Today was the "deadline" for them to respond to the second one, which of course they didn't. The case status doesn't show any change. If I don't hear anything tomorrow, I'm going to call them Monday.

BTW did you just write to the service center directly using the address found on Google? Did you just explain the situation in writing (e.g. the NOA has a typo, case number is ######, please resend)?

Thanks again for the update :) 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, RamonGomez said:

Thanks for sharing this. I have now filled out two service requests. Today was the "deadline" for them to respond to the second one, which of course they didn't. The case status doesn't show any change. If I don't hear anything tomorrow, I'm going to call them Monday.

BTW did you just write to the service center directly using the address found on Google? Did you just explain the situation in writing (e.g. the NOA has a typo, case number is ######, please resend)?

Thanks again for the update :)

355A8596-BEB1-4093-ADFA-70AF20F1B71D.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.