Dataunavailable

CR1, getting married in Cambodia. Paperwork required?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Does anyone have any experience doing this, I've been in contact with my fiance and about getting a person that handles the paperwork side for you with the ministries etc. 

My main question is that there are documents I need to collect here, but I have no idea where I am supposed to get them. The embassy does not help in any of this on where to go. 

I've attached a screenshot, I don't even know what #2 is, most seem easy to get. It wants a single certificate, being from the US, that isn't something that is common, I have my divorce decree still from when I sent it in with our K1 previously. 

I've lived in a few states, but it doesn't say if it requires something from all states or if just going to my local courthouse will pull a nationwide criminal background check? Which either way works, I have nothing on my criminal record, just not sure what is exactly needed, I'd rather go over prepared than need something when I get there. 

Does anyone have time frames on the length of the process, I've been told $2k will get it done in 3 weeks, $2500 for 2 weeks, which is the time you land to the time you can have your wedding. 

I know Cambodia is a much less common topic on this forum, but hoping someone sees this that has gone through the process of marrying a Khmer national in Cambodia and has a better walk through than this paper I received. 

Thanks. 

Screenshot_20210308-144656_One UI Home.jpg

50 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

Does anyone have any experience doing this, I've been in contact with my fiance and about getting a person that handles the paperwork side for you with the ministries etc. 

My main question is that there are documents I need to collect here, but I have no idea where I am supposed to get them. The embassy does not help in any of this on where to go. 

I've attached a screenshot, I don't even know what #2 is, most seem easy to get. It wants a single certificate, being from the US, that isn't something that is common, I have my divorce decree still from when I sent it in with our K1 previously. 

I've lived in a few states, but it doesn't say if it requires something from all states or if just going to my local courthouse will pull a nationwide criminal background check? Which either way works, I have nothing on my criminal record, just not sure what is exactly needed, I'd rather go over prepared than need something when I get there. 

Does anyone have time frames on the length of the process, I've been told $2k will get it done in 3 weeks, $2500 for 2 weeks, which is the time you land to the time you can have your wedding. 

I know Cambodia is a much less common topic on this forum, but hoping someone sees this that has gone through the process of marrying a Khmer national in Cambodia and has a better walk through than this paper I received. 

Thanks. 

The US Embassy in Cambodia can help you with #2 

The U.S. Embassy can certify U.S. passport copies and notarize affidavits of single status. None of the other documents required by the MFA can be certified by the U.S. Embassy. The MFA has assured the U.S. Embassy that it will accept marriage applications in which only the passport copies and affidavits of single status have been certified. The U.S. Embassy has blank affidavits of single status available. Using an affidavit from another source is permitted but may cause officials at the MFA to question the source and validity of your affidavit as it will vary in appearance from those they usually see.

https://kh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/additional-resources-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-cambodia/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Maybe a Utah Zoom wedding would be easier.  It would cost a lot less than $2K and you would have an easier wedding certificate to submit for the I-130, assuming you want to go the spouse visa route.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
38 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Maybe a Utah Zoom wedding would be easier.  It would cost a lot less than $2K and you would have an easier wedding certificate to submit for the I-130, assuming you want to go the spouse visa route.

still has to establish the $2500 monthly income as that is what the Cambodia government passed in 2018  this is from the US embassy webpage in Cambodia (at interview it is the country's norm and the CO will look to see it has been done)

and he still has to travel there to consummate the marriage

Since 201https://kh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/additional-resources-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-cambodia/8,

the Cambodian government has required male U.S. citizens wishing to marry Cambodians to establish a monthly income of at least US $2,500. The MFA requests that that the U.S. Embassy attach a certified cover letter to these documents. 

as for police report check with local county clerk office / if they don't do it,  they will know who does

and all that is needed is one from where u live now

BTW it should be within the last 90 days of your trip to Cambodia

Edited by JeanneAdil

1 hour ago, Dataunavailable said:

Thanks. 

Those are not requirements of the Dept of State, so nothing to do with US visas.     It is unlikely many here will be able to help you with specific requirements for Cambodia’s government in order to marry.

Since there is no centralized marriage registry in the US, you won’t be able to get any type of “single certificate.”

55 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

The US Embassy in Cambodia can help you with #2 

The U.S. Embassy can certify U.S. passport copies and notarize affidavits of single status. None of the other documents required by the MFA can be certified by the U.S. Embassy. The MFA has assured the U.S. Embassy that it will accept marriage applications in which only the passport copies and affidavits of single status have been certified. The U.S. Embassy has blank affidavits of single status available. Using an affidavit from another source is permitted but may cause officials at the MFA to question the source and validity of your affidavit as it will vary in appearance from those they usually see.

https://kh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/additional-resources-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-cambodia/

Notarizing an “affidavit of single status” does not in any way confirm that someone is single.   It merely confirms their identity.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Notarizing an “affidavit of single status” does not in any way confirm that someone is single.   It merely confirms their identity.

Technically true, but since States, not the Federal Government control marriage in the USA, it is long established that other countries know the Affidavit of Single Status obtained at US Consulates is the best they are going to get, so they accept it.

So, while your statement is true, it has no bearing whatsoever on the OP's case or questions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

This is from the US Embassy in Cambodia's website. 

The document he needs should be obtained from the embassy and not from the US before he departs. As documents obtained from the US might not be recognized by the MFA in Cambodia. 

A lot of countries request this document. I agree it doesn't confirm if someone is single but it is the document the Cambodian authorities will accept. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Is this a list published by the US Embassy? Are you 100% sure? The fact that they misspelled the word “single” seems fishy. Be careful.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

2 minutes ago, ra0010 said:

Is this a list published by the US Embassy? Are you 100% sure? The fact that they misspelled the word “single” seems fishy. Be careful.

@Dataunavailable probably posted something from the Cambodian authorities or a friend translated this for him. 

I posted a link from the US Embassy that provides some information about getting married in Cambodia. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

I don't know if that would work, the Cambodian embassy seems fairly strict on what they consider a real wedding, and I would still have to go to consumate the wedding, so if I'm going to take the trip to Cambodia, for us it is better to just have the actual wedding so her family can be part of it. 

Thanks for the advice though. 

Timeline
49 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

still has to establish the $2500 monthly income as that is what the Cambodia government passed in 2018  this is from the US embassy webpage in Cambodia (at interview it is the country's norm and the CO will look to see it has been done)

Since 201https://kh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/additional-resources-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-cambodia/8,

the Cambodian government has required male U.S. citizens wishing to marry Cambodians to establish a monthly income of at least US $2,500. The MFA requests that that the U.S. Embassy attach a certified cover letter to these documents. 

as for police report check with local county clerk office / if they don't do it,  they will know who does

and all that is needed is one from where u live now

BTW it should be within the last 90 days of your trip to Cambodia

Ok, that was one of my questions, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website states local and FBI background, and I wasn't sure if I needed both or one or the other would suffice. 

Thanks, I am told they are supposed to be embossed and have a wet signature as well, as that is what the Cambodian embassy likes to see. 

Everything I know so far, is either off websites like MFA or from word of mouth friends of hers in Cambodia. 

22 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

@Dataunavailable probably posted something from the Cambodian authorities or a friend translated this for him. 

I posted a link from the US Embassy that provides some information about getting married in Cambodia. 

This is correct, it's just a translated document of what's required. 

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

This is from the US Embassy in Cambodia's website. 

The document he needs should be obtained from the embassy and not from the US before he departs. As documents obtained from the US might not be recognized by the MFA in Cambodia. 

A lot of countries request this document. I agree it doesn't confirm if someone is single but it is the document the Cambodian authorities will accept. 

This is the other part I am confused on, because I don't want to just bring my divorce decree from my divorce in 09 and hope that it is good enough for the embassy to notarize a single certificate. Which I've read on their website they do, but it doesn't tell me what I need in order to prove single status. 

Or I possibly over looked it. 

6 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

This is the other part I am confused on, because I don't want to just bring my divorce decree from my divorce in 09 and hope that it is good enough for the embassy to notarize a single certificate. Which I've read on their website they do, but it doesn't tell me what I need in order to prove single status. 

Or I possibly over looked it. 

As far as I know, you don't have to bring anything other than your divorce decree. 

You're basically just filling out a form stating you are single and free to marry (at least that's what happens in Korea). 

Here are the instructions from the US Embassy in Korea listing the forms you're supposed to bring to your US Embassy appointment. 

https://kr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/#american

I know it's not the same country but it might prove to be a helpful resource. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

I don't know if that would work, the Cambodian embassy seems fairly strict on what they consider a real wedding, and I would still have to go to consumate the wedding, so if I'm going to take the trip to Cambodia, for us it is better to just have the actual wedding so her family can be part of it. 

Thanks for the advice though. 

I thought you were in Cambodia now.  I mentioned the Zoom wedding to get the marriage official while both of you are together, and therefore meet the "consummate" requirement.

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

I was referring to the $2k cost of marriage for 3 week processing that the OP mentioned.  I was not referring to the income requirement.

@Dataunavailable, It seem the marriage process for Cambodia is complicated - probably almost as complicated as the ZAGs process in Ukraine.  I understand your point of view to just do the traditional wedding in Cambodia to involve your fiance's family.  If my wife and I were to go back in time and tried to marry in Ukraine, I would do the Utah Zoom for the official wedding and do a celebratory wedding with friends and family there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.