NoMansLand2020

CR1 income requirements

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm concerned for a friend of mine who recently got married online. He's 24 lives in the Philippines and just married a 19 year old girl here in the States. They are asking for donations so she can fly to the Philippines and live there for a year or so.

I don't understand I guess why someone would get married, yet not be in a financially stable position to pay for their own expenses. I don't think she's working. 

So I'm curious about their future. 

What are the income requirements for CR1? Let's say you get married online and then the US citizen moves to the Philippines and lives for a year with their spouse.

How does the couple immigrate to the US? Are they required to meet a certain income?

Timeline

https://rapidvisa.com/income-requirements-for-fiance-k1-and-spousal-cr1-visas

"As noted previously, the annual gross income of K-1 fiancé visa sponsors must be equal to or greater than 100% of the federal poverty guidelines. For individuals seeking to secure CR1 spousal visas or adjust their status to lawful permanent residency (green card), that threshold increases to 125%."

If I'm reading this correctly it means for her to get a CR1 she would need to return to the USA and make >$21,775 (more for Alaska or Hawaii) in a year in order to apply for CR1 visa.  

Then there's the shock of a 19 year old American girl suddenly living in the Philippines for a year (during COVID insanity).  🤣 

Edited by Puppythecat

Timeline

For marriage visa income requirements she could have someone she knows in the US sign on as a financial joint sponsor because she would be unable to meet the income requirements on her own.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

Then there's the shock of a 19 year old American girl suddenly living in the Philippines for a year (during COVID insanity).  🤣 

My thoughts exactly. She's never left the country before. She's in for a big surprise. 

9 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

For marriage visa income requirements she could have someone she knows in the US sign on as a financial joint sponsor because she would be unable to meet the income requirements on her own.

Does the Philippines allow for joint sponsorship of CR1? I believe they do not for K1. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

My thoughts exactly. She's never left the country before. She's in for a big surprise. 

It doesn't sound like either of them is going with a lot of resources judging by how they're asking donations for a plane ticket.  Unless she's from the bayou in Louisiana she can't possibly have any clue what she's getting into.  Have your friend explain the dipper to her.  It's a shame there's no CFO Seminar type thing for Americans going to the Philippines 🤣

Timeline
34 minutes ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

Does the Philippines allow for joint sponsorship of CR1? I believe they do not for K1. 

Why Doesn’t the Philippines Allow Joint Sponsors for the K1 Visa? - RapidVisa®

"Many US embassies accept joint sponsors for fiance visas. However, unfortunately, the most popular country for the K1 visa, the Philippines, doesn't allow them. They do allow joint sponsors for married couples applying for CR1 visas, but not the fiance visa. It's unfortunate, but it's at the discretion of the embassy and consular officers."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

I'm concerned for a friend of mine who recently got married online. He's 24 lives in the Philippines and just married a 19 year old girl here in the States. They are asking for donations so she can fly to the Philippines and live there for a year or so.

I don't understand I guess why someone would get married, yet not be in a financially stable position to pay for their own expenses. I don't think she's working. 

So I'm curious about their future. 

What are the income requirements for CR1? Let's say you get married online and then the US citizen moves to the Philippines and lives for a year with their spouse.

How does the couple immigrate to the US? Are they required to meet a certain income?

First, ask your friend to join VJ.))

Second...why are you pondering their future?   I assume it is their lives to live in these interesting, er..., times.  With them living in the Philippines, at least the cost of living would be significantly less.

He's 24 and she's 19.  I remember me back then.  I got jealous when my girlfriend thought Arnold Schwarzenegger was hot in some movie we went to watch.  Too much hormones and too much blood down there and not enough up there. As long as your friend is a good guy and hopefully she's the same they will have their fun and maybe will make a life together or will be a fond memory of each other after the year.

If they do try to immigrate, then I-130, AOS + IV (I-864 and DS-260), Interview, and GC.  And about $1500 in fees plus moving expenses (flight, etc.)  More if the fees go up when they decide to immigrate.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

The CR-1 visa is issued by the USA not the Philippines.   With the CR-1 visa the embassy is required (its written in the regulations) to accept a qualified joint sponsor.

As for K-1, the embassy can accept a joint sponsor, at their discretion, and in the Phils the embassy has done this quite regularly.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 12/3/2021 at 10:00 PM, Puppythecat said:

Unless she's from the bayou in Louisiana she can't possibly have any clue what she's getting into.

We actually live a few minutes drive away from a bayou here in Louisiana 😀  Even so, my husband was very aware of the financial aspect of what he was getting into when we first started dating.  Granted, both he and I were much older than 19 when we met.  I suppose people just need time to figure out "adulting", a big part of which is being financially responsible for the consequences of your own choices.  I'm not surprised that a 19-year-old would try to mooch off family and friends for a plane ticket.

Timeline
On 12/3/2021 at 10:00 PM, SteveInBostonI130 said:

First, ask your friend to join VJ.))

Second...why are you pondering their future?   I assume it is their lives to live in these interesting, er..., times.  With them living in the Philippines, at least the cost of living would be significantly less.

He's 24 and she's 19.  I remember me back then.  I got jealous when my girlfriend thought Arnold Schwarzenegger was hot in some movie we went to watch.  Too much hormones and too much blood down there and not enough up there. As long as your friend is a good guy and hopefully she's the same they will have their fun and maybe will make a life together or will be a fond memory of each other after the year.

If they do try to immigrate, then I-130, AOS + IV (I-864 and DS-260), Interview, and GC.  And about $1500 in fees plus moving expenses (flight, etc.)  More if the fees go up when they decide to immigrate.

But doesn't the US petitioner still have to meet certain income requirements to bring the spouse with them? 

11 minutes ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

But doesn't the US petitioner still have to meet certain income requirements to bring the spouse with them? 

If they have a well-qualified joint sponsor, the USC petitioner's income can be 0 and the beneficiary may still be granted a visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.