stag

K1 Visa Holder US Citizen line at POE

15 posts in this topic

If K1 visa holder is travelling with their US citizen fiancé, can they both enter the US citizen line or need to go through the Visitor's line at the POE? Maybe a bit rudimentary question, but good to know beforehand, thanks!

Removal of Conditions (I-751)
2/17/24: I-751 packet shipped via FedEx

2/20/24: I-751 packet delivered

2/22/24: Receipt Number available on USCIS Portal

2/27/24: Extension Letter Available Online, Biometric Re-use letter, "Case is being actively reviewed"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, stag said:

If K1 visa holder is travelling with their US citizen fiancé, can they both enter the US citizen line or need to go through the Visitor's line at the POE? Maybe a bit rudimentary question, but good to know beforehand, thanks!

We entered in the visitor line. It was a long wait, but at least we had no secondary. There were airport workers (not employees of DHS) insisting I had to separate from my fiancee, and I told them to buzz off -- we have a single customs card.

Some of the citizen-only passport booths might not have working fingerprint scanners, so I would not tempt fate if you don't want a CBP officer to bark at you. Not really something K-1s need their first day in the USA.

32 minutes ago, Mike E said:

We entered in the visitor line. It was a long wait, but at least we had no secondary. There were airport workers (not employees of DHS) insisting I had to separate from my fiancee, and I told them to buzz off -- we have a single customs card.

Some of the citizen-only passport booths might not have working fingerprint scanners, so I would not tempt fate if you don't want a CBP officer to bark at you. Not really something K-1s need their first day in the USA.

Got it thank you. And so to confirm we have to fill out customs card together, yes?

2/27/24: Extension Letter Available Online, Biometric Re-use letter, "Case is being actively reviewed"

13 minutes ago, stag said:

Got it thank you. And so to confirm we have to fill out customs card together, yes?

We did the same as Mike E.  In fact, someone at the airport before immigration told us to both go through the visitor line.  We also only had one custom card.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Timeline
10 hours ago, stag said:

You are a couple living at the same address.  I think it would be strange if you did not.  And I suspect CBP would too.  Denial at the port of entry is always a possibility.  

We wanted a single customs card to minimize separation from my fiancée.  We achieved our goal: no secondary (I would not have been permitted in secondary).  

Edited by Mike E

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

You are a couple living at the same address.  I think it would be strange if you did not.  And I suspect CBP would too.  Denial at the port of entry is always a possibility.  

We wanted a single customs card to minimize separation from my fiancée.  We achieved our goal: no secondary (I would not have been permitted in secondary).  

Got it, and the address put on the customs form is the one on the K1 form? Reason I ask is because I may move in the process. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, stag said:

Got it, and the address put on the customs form is the one on the K1 form? Reason I ask is because I may move in the process. 

The address on the customs form should be where the citizen currently lives (and therefore where the K-1 will be living during the authorized stay).  If that address doesn’t match what is in the I-129F expect problems.  

When we entered at SFO our customs form said the city where we live, and when the CBP officer glanced at the contents of our sealed packet, he saw San Jose and demanded to know why there was a discrepancy.  I pointed out that he was probably seeing the address of the USCIS field office. He agreed and let us through.  

Edited by Mike E

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The address on the customs form should be where the citizen currently lives (and therefore where the K-1 will be living during the authorized stay).  If that address doesn’t match what is in the I-129F expect problems.  

When we entered at SFO our customs form said the city where we live, and when the CBP officer glanced at the contents of our sealed packet, he saw San Jose and demanded to know why there was a discrepancy.  I pointed out that he was probably seeing the address of the USCIS field office. He agreed and let us through.  

I see yeah that's important to know, of course I live at the address of my I-129F, but I'm in process of buying a new place which is intended for us when we are together, but it's not officially closed yet. I guess will not put the new address on the customs form even if it's ready when we enter. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, stag said:

I see yeah that's important to know, of course I live at the address of my I-129F, but I'm in process of buying a new place which is intended for us when we are together, but it's not officially closed yet. I guess will not put the new address on the customs form even if it's ready when we enter. 

That would be lying to a CBP officer.  

I am out.  Good luck. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

what airport

At JFK the CBP officer said we could both go to line for US citizens when i asked at an earlier trip thinking about when we came together

but at Chicago we went thru seperate lines

14 hours ago, stag said:

The visitor line.  If you go through the US citizen line you will be turned away and told to go through the Visitor line. However, once you get a permenant resident card than you can go through the US citizen line as long as your last name on your passport matches that of your green card.

Adjustment of Status Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-485: December 20, 2016

USCIS delivered: December 23, 2016

USCIS received: December 27, 2016

I-765 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

I-131 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

I-485 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

Biometrics Date: February 10, 2017

I-765 Approved: March 30, 2017 (93 days)

I-131 Approved: March 30, 2017 (93 days)

I-485 Approved: June 6, 2017 (161 days)

Removal of Conditions Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-751: May 6, 2019

USCIS delivered: May 9, 2019

USCIS received: May 9, 2019

I-751 Notice Date: May 14, 2019

I-751 received Date: May 17, 2019

Biometrics received Date: June 8, 2019

Biometrics Date: June 20, 2019

Transfer to PSC Date: February 20, 2020

RFI received Date: October 20, 2020

RFI submitted to USCIS Date: January 14, 2021

ADIT Stamp received: March 3, 2021

ADIT Stamp received: March 24, 2021

I-751/N-400 Combo Interview Scheduled: April 7, 2022

I-751 Approved: April 7, 2022 (1064 days)

Citizenship Journey

Spoiler

N-400 Submitted Online: March 05, 2021

USCIS received: March 05, 2021

N-400 Notice Date: March 05, 2021

I-751/N-400 Combo Interview Scheduled: April 7, 2022

N-400 Approved: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

Oath Ceremony: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

Certificate of Naturalization Issued: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

24 minutes ago, Mike E said:

That would be lying to a CBP officer.  

I am out.  Good luck. 

Why would it be lying? I will not move out till we enter the country. So I will be officially living at the address as stated, even if I have purchased a new place. I will even live as much time as needed as the address on I-129F before moving to the new place so that there is no controversy. 

I am officially registered at my address: driver license, voter registration, IRS, I WILL NOT be changing that till we enter the country and I will PHYSCIALLY be at that original address when we enter POE. Only after we have entered, I will OFFICIALLY than move to the new place as it will be ready. There is no lying here at all and I will NEVER lie to anybody. I do everything by the book and was just asking to confirm. 

Edited by stag

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Immigration is not holding you back from living your life. If you move you move and if you have a new address you have a new address and if somebody is asking about it that can be explained. 

Secondary inspection is a normal thing when immigrating especially at a busy airport. It's nothing to be afraid of and only a few don't have to go through. There are no hidden secrets of how not to go through secondary but only luck if you don't have to.

2 hours ago, LKMK said:

The visitor line.  If you go through the US citizen line you will be turned away and told to go through the Visitor line. However, once you get a permenant resident card than you can go through the US citizen line as long as your last name on your passport matches that of your green card.

Or you carry the marriage certificate as proof of name change 😊

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
20 hours ago, stag said:

At some airports there is a separate line for K1/other visa/first time visitors so follow the line that takes you to the proper place... Also if your fiancee don't want to stand in line he can wait for you at baggage claims and go through customs together.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

I’m a US Citizen and traveled with my foreign K-1 visa fiancée through JFK 2-3 weeks ago for initial entry. We arrived at night and sat near the front of the plane so there were no other flights/passengers we had to beat to get to the front of the immigration line. We were in and out in 5 minutes even having to go through a secondary room where K-1 visa holders get processed. We went through the visitor line together. There was never a doubt we would line up together — reduces risk of the K-1 holder being denied entry by being together, even if chances are remote to begin with. Even though I as the US citizen was in the foreign line, there were no issues with them processing me (they even acknowledged my global entry program).

Customs cards no longer need to be filled out and given at POE (they don’t even give those out anymore) but the officer may ask you verbally if you’re carrying things that need to be declared. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.