MeG@Am

D160 - Listing social media accounts

39 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

The date on that article is June 2019 when Trump introduced the ds 5535 / 

do u have example of today's ds 160 to see if they incorporated all these questions on a new ds 160?

have not heard of this yet?  but very interested !!!!

Yep, check my screenshots above. This is from the DS160 example from 2020... 

And these screenshots are from the DS-260 exemplar (p.17).

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260-Exemplar.pdf

They both exclude Whatsapp... 

Edit to add: The DS160 is on page 19 of the exemplar... if you would like to look at it in full. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 23.14.24.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 23.14.31.png

Edited by Kor2USA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I understand Facebook, Inst. etc. for the posts.

Re: DS5535, in regards to the various messaging apps like WhatsApp, Viber, Messenger, Telegram, will they really want our logins?

Wow!

Edited by RnJ2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

Yep, check my screenshots above. This is from the DS160 example from 2020... 

And these screenshots are from the DS-260 exemplar (p.17).

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260-Exemplar.pdf

They both exclude Whatsapp... 

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 23.14.24.png

for th

OMG    they want your life in a firepit

this ds 160 we did not have to do all these pages for tourist visa applicaiton

so,  they stage the app for what is applied for

i see pages and pages for a E visa which most of us don't do 

so,  USCIS got around the court blocking the ds 5535 by adding all this BS to a new ds 160

figures

wonder if anyone has taken or is thinking to take this to court 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
18 minutes ago, RnJ2021 said:

I understand Facebook, Inst. etc. for the posts.

Re: DS5535, in regards to the various messaging apps like WhatsApp, Viber, Messenger, Telegram, will they really want our logins?

Wow!

user name only and not passwords 

actually best to use encripted platforms like whatsapp to talk so they can't be read without our permission

16 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

OMG    they want your life in a firepit

this ds 160 we did not have to do all these pages for tourist visa applicaiton

so,  they stage the app for what is applied for

i see pages and pages for a E visa which most of us don't do 

so,  USCIS got around the court blocking the ds 5535 by adding all this BS to a new ds 160

figures

wonder if anyone has taken or is thinking to take this to court 

The questions are supposed to weed out potential terrorists... so, I don't know if one could take it to court. 

https://ustunlawgroup.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-social-media-information-requirements-while-filing-ds-160-or-ds-260-forms/

And they included this part of the form in 2019... this was in addition, I assume, to the DS 5535. 

I believe ESTA is exempt, but the do have the choice of sharing their social media information. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

pretty hard to say "no social media "  when we are trying to prove 

how we met as many meet thru media

how they communicate daily or monthly from afar

who has house phones anymore besides me?

and who could afford to call on house phone regular ?

know anyone who doesn't have an email (now or ever) ?

social media is the way all of us keep in touch with foreign partners

and the ds 5535 ask for more that social media

it is travel in last 15 years

cell phone #'s of all living in the house in case bene uses phones of others

all siblings names and addresses

and so much more / it is a very thorough background of information to check

Facebook has 2.9 Billion users

and VK out of Russia has 649,016,600

So we first met through Yahoo Messenger, now through Viber.

We can provide info as to how we communicate, he can provide phone number (same number since we started chatting about 12 years ago).

I know in this day and age, it's almost impossible to think of someone who doesn't have social media, but I know few others actually don't have social media (i.e. FB, IG, twitter).  And to tell you honestly, with how toxic social media is now, I personally want to cancel all my accounts.  Not been active for a while now.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, MeG@Am said:

@Kor2USA @JeanneAdil - Thank you! I was thinking about VJ, if it is also considered as social media.

You have the choice to include VJ as a social media platform but it is not mandatory, like the listed social media platforms named in the DS-160. 

6 minutes ago, MeG@Am said:

So we first met through Yahoo Messenger, now through Viber.

We can provide info as to how we communicate, he can provide phone number (same number since we started chatting about 12 years ago).

I know in this day and age, it's almost impossible to think of someone who doesn't have social media, but I know few others actually don't have social media (i.e. FB, IG, twitter).  And to tell you honestly, with how toxic social media is now, I personally want to cancel all my accounts.  Not been active for a while now.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Yep! I know a lot of people who don't use social media (as defined by the DS-160) either. And I would worry if people are punished for choosing not to engage in platforms they consider toxic... 

3 minutes ago, MeG@Am said:

@Kor2USA @JeanneAdil - Thank you! I was thinking about VJ, if it is also considered as social media.

If so, soooo many here would find their nefarious  immigration plans revealed to the peers that be.   There have always been rumors that USCIS/DOS reads VJ.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kor2USA said:

Unfortunately, social media is now on the DS160 and the DS260.

I can confirm they are. Filled DS260 in Feb 2021.

@Jeanne Adil

you can find the sample here: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260-Exemplar.pdf

The question asks you to list your usernames for social media from a drop down list. WhatsApp and VJ is NOT on the list. So even though I use them I did not list it. I only listed my LinkedIn and Reddit accounts.

There is a second question that asks if you would like to list any additional social media and I simply answered as “no.”

83E5D1FB-1BA0-4AE5-83CB-7BEAD24EDE8B.png

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

8 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

If so, soooo many here would find their nefarious  immigration plans revealed to the peers that be.   There have always been rumors that USCIS/DOS reads VJ.

There are rumors USCIS/DOS reads the various immigration groups on Facebook, too. Jim Hacking always tells participants on his show to be careful about the information they share when asking questions. 

I assume if USCIS/DOS have access to the name of your email account they'd be able to discover any dodgy social media/ social media-lite accounts you've created. 

But, maybe I'm just overly paranoid... 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, MeG@Am said:

13 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

VJ would be considered social media in my opinion by the definition on the DS 260 (see screenshot in my post above). But it is not mandatory to include it. I do know of someone here on VJ who was issued a DS-5535 and it maybe mandatory to include ALL your social media accounts there. Accordingly they included their VJ account when submitting the DS-5535.

6 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

pretty hard to say "no social media "  when we are trying to prove 

how we met as many meet thru media

how they communicate daily or monthly from afar

I met my now wife in the old fashioned way, in a bar. We kept in touch by email and occasional skype calls (as well as frequent in person visits). No social media involved.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.